Samantha Stosur, Rafael Nadal out of BNP Paribas Open 2014
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | March 11, 2014 10:15 PM EST
The BNP Paribas Open 2014 held at the Indian Wells Tennis Garden witnessed some big surprises including No.1 seed Rafael Nadal loss to Ukraine's Alexandr Dolgopolov, 6-3, 3-6, 7-6 (5) in the third round of the tournament.
Alexandr Dolgopolov shakes hands with Rafael Nadal in the BNP Paribas Open at the Indian Wells Tennis Garden
Dolgopolov, who is ranked 31st in the world and seeded 28th in the first Masters tournament, pulled off the upset against Nadal as he secured his first victory against the Spaniard after losing in the first five career meetings.
Dolgopolov will now face Italy's Fabio Fognini, who defeated France's Gael Monfils, 6-2, 3-6, 7-5.
Nadal, who had reached every semifinals at Indian Wells since 2006 was definitely in a state of shock. He won the titles in 2007, 2009 and 2013.
Dolgopolov looked calm and composed and was taking advantage of every opportunity during the match including a match-clinching forehand winner in the third and final set of the match.
Meanwhile, in the women's singles, 17th rank Samantha Stosur got booted out of the tournament after getting toppled by Flavia Pennetta who is ranked 31st in the WTA rankings. Penetta beat Stosur in three sets, 6-4, 3-6, 6-1.
Pennetta will now meet Italy's Camila Giorgi, who also pulled off a big surprise in beating top seed Maria Sharapova, 6-3, 4-6, 7-5. The match lasted for two hours thirty-six minutes as both the players struggled to hold serve.
Meanwhile in other matches, fifth seed Andy Murray had a tough win over Jiri Vesley, 6-7 (2), 6-4, 6-4, Stanislas Wawrinka defeated Andreas Seppi in straight sets, 6-0, 6-2 and Roger Federer won a tough game over Dmitry Tursunov, 7-6 (7), 7-6 (2).
Australian Open champion, top seed Li Ni from China secured her position in the fourth round after securing victory against Karolina Pliskova of the Czech Republic.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Chelsea FC: Mourinho Hints Cesc Fabregas Could Succeed John Terry As Club Captain
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions