Cronulla Skipper Paul Gallen Out for Six Weeks
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | March 11, 2014 9:50 PM EST
Skipper Paul Gallen of Cronulla Sharks will be out of the game after his severe ankle sprain that occurred on Monday night's NRL match with Gold Coast.
Also, the formidable front-rower Andrew Fifita succumbed to injury and will be out from upcoming two matches.
The absence of Gallen and Fifita in a crucial moment is a big blow to the Sharks, who are slated to meet Canterbury on March 17.
Gallen was assisted off the field in the first half of the game when Cronulla is in a tight position with 18 - 12 against the Gold Coast Titans. He also heard a crack when his foot twisted on a tackle. This probably indicates a long break of Gallen, leaving Cronulla in a precarious situation.
Doctors confirmed that Gallen fortunately does not need any surgery and will bounce back in action for the mid-year Test against New Zealand on May 2 and NSW State of Origin series opener on May 28.
Fifita, who is supposed to join Canterbury at the end of the season, seems positive so far. He will miss two upcoming matches if he accepts early guilty plea and three weeks if he challenges the NRL judiciary and loses. Though no concrete information has been disclosed so far, Fifita confirmed to make an announcement later this week.
Having various issues on the list, Sharks are already missing halfback Jeff Robson, winger Beau Ryan and Test back-rower Luke Lewis.
Meanwhile, Shark's coach, Peter Sharp hope to have Todd Carney and forward Chris Heighington back in the squad.
Paul Gallen, who had already established himself as a key player, debuted with Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks in the year 2001 and continues to be in the same team. He also represented New South Wales and captained NSW Blues for State of Origin series in the year 2013.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- Novak Djokovic Receives Peugeot 107 Pedal Car For His Newborn
- NBA Preview: Milwaukee Bucks Look to Develop Youngsters Jabari Parker, Giannis Antetokounmpo
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Shifts Blame On US For Ukraine Crisis, Putin Accuses West of 'Remaking World'
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine