Cronulla Skipper Paul Gallen Out for Six Weeks
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | March 11, 2014 9:50 PM EST
Skipper Paul Gallen of Cronulla Sharks will be out of the game after his severe ankle sprain that occurred on Monday night's NRL match with Gold Coast.
Also, the formidable front-rower Andrew Fifita succumbed to injury and will be out from upcoming two matches.
The absence of Gallen and Fifita in a crucial moment is a big blow to the Sharks, who are slated to meet Canterbury on March 17.
Gallen was assisted off the field in the first half of the game when Cronulla is in a tight position with 18 - 12 against the Gold Coast Titans. He also heard a crack when his foot twisted on a tackle. This probably indicates a long break of Gallen, leaving Cronulla in a precarious situation.
Doctors confirmed that Gallen fortunately does not need any surgery and will bounce back in action for the mid-year Test against New Zealand on May 2 and NSW State of Origin series opener on May 28.
Fifita, who is supposed to join Canterbury at the end of the season, seems positive so far. He will miss two upcoming matches if he accepts early guilty plea and three weeks if he challenges the NRL judiciary and loses. Though no concrete information has been disclosed so far, Fifita confirmed to make an announcement later this week.
Having various issues on the list, Sharks are already missing halfback Jeff Robson, winger Beau Ryan and Test back-rower Luke Lewis.
Meanwhile, Shark's coach, Peter Sharp hope to have Todd Carney and forward Chris Heighington back in the squad.
Paul Gallen, who had already established himself as a key player, debuted with Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks in the year 2001 and continues to be in the same team. He also represented New South Wales and captained NSW Blues for State of Origin series in the year 2013.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Fernando Alonso Leaves Ferrari 'For Two Reasons'
- Roger Federer Says He Has Never Seen Rafael Nadal Play So Bad, Wishes That The Spaniard Recuperate Well From Appendicitis
- Manny Pacquiao Has Got Chris Algieri Fight All Figured Out
- Female Boxer Dies In South Africa Following Knockout Blow
- Nick Kyrgios Holds Twitter Q&A, Says Roger Federer Is The Greatest Of All Time And His Favourite Superhero
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Woman Hanged In Iran Talks Abuse In Prison, Left Chilling Message To Family
- Xiaomi VP Hugo Barra Says ‘Apple iPhone 6 Is The Most Beautiful Smartphone Ever Built’
- Vivo Rumoured To Be Building World’s Thinnest Smartphone With 3.8 MM Thickness