Cronulla Skipper Paul Gallen Out for Six Weeks
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | March 11, 2014 9:50 PM EST
Skipper Paul Gallen of Cronulla Sharks will be out of the game after his severe ankle sprain that occurred on Monday night's NRL match with Gold Coast.
Also, the formidable front-rower Andrew Fifita succumbed to injury and will be out from upcoming two matches.
The absence of Gallen and Fifita in a crucial moment is a big blow to the Sharks, who are slated to meet Canterbury on March 17.
Gallen was assisted off the field in the first half of the game when Cronulla is in a tight position with 18 - 12 against the Gold Coast Titans. He also heard a crack when his foot twisted on a tackle. This probably indicates a long break of Gallen, leaving Cronulla in a precarious situation.
Doctors confirmed that Gallen fortunately does not need any surgery and will bounce back in action for the mid-year Test against New Zealand on May 2 and NSW State of Origin series opener on May 28.
Fifita, who is supposed to join Canterbury at the end of the season, seems positive so far. He will miss two upcoming matches if he accepts early guilty plea and three weeks if he challenges the NRL judiciary and loses. Though no concrete information has been disclosed so far, Fifita confirmed to make an announcement later this week.
Having various issues on the list, Sharks are already missing halfback Jeff Robson, winger Beau Ryan and Test back-rower Luke Lewis.
Meanwhile, Shark's coach, Peter Sharp hope to have Todd Carney and forward Chris Heighington back in the squad.
Paul Gallen, who had already established himself as a key player, debuted with Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks in the year 2001 and continues to be in the same team. He also represented New South Wales and captained NSW Blues for State of Origin series in the year 2013.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- 2014 Davis Cup Final: Switzerland Vs. France - Roger Federer Vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri Betting Odds: American Knockout Of Filipino Pays $10,000 From A $100 Bet
- Brooklyn Nets Agree to Grant Andrei Kirilenko Indefinite Leave of Absence
- Michael Schumacher Update: Rep Responds To Streiff’s Comments—‘He’s Neither A Friend Nor Has He Ever Visited Him’
- LA Lakers: Kobe Bryant Attributes Past Outburst Against Dwight Howard To 'Heat Of The Moment,' Doesn't Feel The Same Way As Durant Does
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- BlackBerry Classic (aka Q20) Keyboard Shortcuts Explained In A Quick Video
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics