Cronulla Skipper Paul Gallen Out for Six Weeks
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | March 11, 2014 9:50 PM EST
Skipper Paul Gallen of Cronulla Sharks will be out of the game after his severe ankle sprain that occurred on Monday night's NRL match with Gold Coast.
Also, the formidable front-rower Andrew Fifita succumbed to injury and will be out from upcoming two matches.
The absence of Gallen and Fifita in a crucial moment is a big blow to the Sharks, who are slated to meet Canterbury on March 17.
Gallen was assisted off the field in the first half of the game when Cronulla is in a tight position with 18 - 12 against the Gold Coast Titans. He also heard a crack when his foot twisted on a tackle. This probably indicates a long break of Gallen, leaving Cronulla in a precarious situation.
Doctors confirmed that Gallen fortunately does not need any surgery and will bounce back in action for the mid-year Test against New Zealand on May 2 and NSW State of Origin series opener on May 28.
Fifita, who is supposed to join Canterbury at the end of the season, seems positive so far. He will miss two upcoming matches if he accepts early guilty plea and three weeks if he challenges the NRL judiciary and loses. Though no concrete information has been disclosed so far, Fifita confirmed to make an announcement later this week.
Having various issues on the list, Sharks are already missing halfback Jeff Robson, winger Beau Ryan and Test back-rower Luke Lewis.
Meanwhile, Shark's coach, Peter Sharp hope to have Todd Carney and forward Chris Heighington back in the squad.
Paul Gallen, who had already established himself as a key player, debuted with Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks in the year 2001 and continues to be in the same team. He also represented New South Wales and captained NSW Blues for State of Origin series in the year 2013.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin, Chandler Parsons React To 'Role Players' Label By James Harden
- 2014 Commonwealth Games Medal Tally: Games are Through Day 5 and Australia Continues to Dominate Count; Day 5 Highlights
- Roger Federer Not That Good If Different Surfaces Were To Exist – Giles Simon
- Jeremy Lin Should Be Ready to Start for Los Angeles Lakers as Steve Nash Confirms Retirement
- Dan Bilzerian Opens Up to Howard Stern, Poker Pro Admits He Once Had Sex with 16 Women in 12 Days
- Manchester United Transfer News: Wilfried Zaha Might Stay After Impressing Van Gaal Against Inter [VIDEO]
- Grimm Season 4 Spoilers: Comic-Con Answers Served, Nick 'Un-Grimmed' Affects His Wesen Friends' Honeymoon
- Transfer News: Ron Vlaar to Consider Villa Exit, May Move to Tottenham
- AS Roma's Seydou Keita Throws Water Bottle at Real Madrid defender Pepe for Spitting [VIDEO]
- The Mentalist Season 7 Spoilers: CBS Skips Simon Baker's Patrick Jane in Fall Schedule, Josie Loren Joins Cast