Cronulla Skipper Paul Gallen Out for Six Weeks
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | March 11, 2014 9:50 PM EST
Skipper Paul Gallen of Cronulla Sharks will be out of the game after his severe ankle sprain that occurred on Monday night's NRL match with Gold Coast.
Also, the formidable front-rower Andrew Fifita succumbed to injury and will be out from upcoming two matches.
The absence of Gallen and Fifita in a crucial moment is a big blow to the Sharks, who are slated to meet Canterbury on March 17.
Gallen was assisted off the field in the first half of the game when Cronulla is in a tight position with 18 - 12 against the Gold Coast Titans. He also heard a crack when his foot twisted on a tackle. This probably indicates a long break of Gallen, leaving Cronulla in a precarious situation.
Doctors confirmed that Gallen fortunately does not need any surgery and will bounce back in action for the mid-year Test against New Zealand on May 2 and NSW State of Origin series opener on May 28.
Fifita, who is supposed to join Canterbury at the end of the season, seems positive so far. He will miss two upcoming matches if he accepts early guilty plea and three weeks if he challenges the NRL judiciary and loses. Though no concrete information has been disclosed so far, Fifita confirmed to make an announcement later this week.
Having various issues on the list, Sharks are already missing halfback Jeff Robson, winger Beau Ryan and Test back-rower Luke Lewis.
Meanwhile, Shark's coach, Peter Sharp hope to have Todd Carney and forward Chris Heighington back in the squad.
Paul Gallen, who had already established himself as a key player, debuted with Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks in the year 2001 and continues to be in the same team. He also represented New South Wales and captained NSW Blues for State of Origin series in the year 2013.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- National Ice Cream Day: Most-Ordered Flavors and Toppings by Americans [See Photos]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Celebs: Struggle With Drug Addiction
Join the Conversation
- No Kevin Love to Cleveland, Andrew Wiggins to Stay with Cavaliers
- Jeremy Lin Only an ‘Expiring Contract’ in Los Angeles; Lakers Want Eric Bledsoe
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- Khloe Kardashian Sympathetic About Ex-Husband Lamar Odom in Recent Instagram Posts
- Rafael Nadal’s Retirement Plan Includes Becoming Pro Poker Player; Spaniard To Unveil New Serve at US Open
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $499 Comes With 5.5-Inch Quad HD Display, Snapdragon 805 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People