Box Office Report – ‘300: Rise of an Empire’ Leads with $130 Million ‘Mr Peabody & Sherman’ Closes Second
By Sachin Trivedi | March 11, 2014 7:47 PM EST
The action fantasy "300: Rise of an Empire" ruled the box office making over $130 million worldwide and the animation flick "Mr Peabody & Sherman" came in close second making over $65 million worldwide.
Cast member Lena Headey poses at the premiere of "300: Rise of an Empire" in Hollywood, California March 4, 2014. The movie opens in the U.S. on March 7. REUTERS/Mario Anzuoni
"300: Rise of an Empire" is well on its way to match and perhaps surpass the success of the first movie released way back in 2006. The first movie made over $200 million in the U.S and over $450 million worldwide.
"300: Rise of Empire" made over $45 million in the U.S and over $87 million overseas, taking the total to just over $130 million at the weekend box office. The movie was one of the most highly anticipated for the year 2014.
The movie marks the return of the god king Xerxes. The forces of Greece led by general Themistokles try to stop the vast Persian Navy and its vengeful commander Artemisia. The battle is waged in the high seas, which is different compared to the previous movie which mostly involved land battles.
The cast of the movie includes Sullivan Stapleton as general Themistokles, Eva Green as Artemisia, Lena Headey as Queen Gorgo, Hans Matheson as Aesyklos, Callan Mulvey as Scyllias, David Wenham as Dilios and Rodrigo Santoro as king Xerxes.
The movie that came close to the earnings of "300: Rise of an Empire" at the box office is "Mr. Peabody & Sherman." The movie collected over $98 million worldwide which includes over $32 million in the U.S and over $65 million overseas.
The animation movie is about a genius dog Mr. Peabody who is a businessman, Olympic medallist, scientist and inventor. Mr Peabody and his adopted son Sherman travel back in time and meet some of the greatest people who have lived in the past.
The time travel creates a time rift that can alter the future and Mr. Peabody has to face the challenge of fixing the past in order to save the future. He has to manage to do this while facing the challenge of being a parent.
Animation movies have seen some grand success at the box office recently with Disney's "Frozen" making over $1 billion worldwide. Will the new movies "300: Rise of an Empire" and "Mr. Peabody & Sherman" be able to sustain their momentum in the coming weeks?
More Articles to Read
'Game of Thrones' Premieres in April - 'Catch the Throne' Songs Released [Read]
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Orange is the New Black Season 3: Laura Prepon Hints Strain in Alex, Piper Relationship, New Actor Roped-in [Spoilers]
- The Big Bang Theory: Mayim Bialik Talks about Sheldon, Amy Kiss in Season 7 [KISS VIDEO]
- Queen Elizabeth and Kate Middleton Clash Again: Duchess Scared of Difficult Pregnancy, Adopting Second 'Royal' Baby - Reports
- True Blood Spoilers: Alcide Killed because Season 7 is Bill, Sookie’s Season
- Rob Kardashian's Ex-Girlfriend Adrienne Bailon FInally Removes Cheating Reality Star's Name from Her Butt
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date