Box Office Report – ‘300: Rise of an Empire’ Leads with $130 Million ‘Mr Peabody & Sherman’ Closes Second
By Sachin Trivedi | March 11, 2014 7:47 PM EST
The action fantasy "300: Rise of an Empire" ruled the box office making over $130 million worldwide and the animation flick "Mr Peabody & Sherman" came in close second making over $65 million worldwide.
Cast member Lena Headey poses at the premiere of "300: Rise of an Empire" in Hollywood, California March 4, 2014. The movie opens in the U.S. on March 7. REUTERS/Mario Anzuoni
"300: Rise of an Empire" is well on its way to match and perhaps surpass the success of the first movie released way back in 2006. The first movie made over $200 million in the U.S and over $450 million worldwide.
"300: Rise of Empire" made over $45 million in the U.S and over $87 million overseas, taking the total to just over $130 million at the weekend box office. The movie was one of the most highly anticipated for the year 2014.
The movie marks the return of the god king Xerxes. The forces of Greece led by general Themistokles try to stop the vast Persian Navy and its vengeful commander Artemisia. The battle is waged in the high seas, which is different compared to the previous movie which mostly involved land battles.
The cast of the movie includes Sullivan Stapleton as general Themistokles, Eva Green as Artemisia, Lena Headey as Queen Gorgo, Hans Matheson as Aesyklos, Callan Mulvey as Scyllias, David Wenham as Dilios and Rodrigo Santoro as king Xerxes.
The movie that came close to the earnings of "300: Rise of an Empire" at the box office is "Mr. Peabody & Sherman." The movie collected over $98 million worldwide which includes over $32 million in the U.S and over $65 million overseas.
The animation movie is about a genius dog Mr. Peabody who is a businessman, Olympic medallist, scientist and inventor. Mr Peabody and his adopted son Sherman travel back in time and meet some of the greatest people who have lived in the past.
The time travel creates a time rift that can alter the future and Mr. Peabody has to face the challenge of fixing the past in order to save the future. He has to manage to do this while facing the challenge of being a parent.
Animation movies have seen some grand success at the box office recently with Disney's "Frozen" making over $1 billion worldwide. Will the new movies "300: Rise of an Empire" and "Mr. Peabody & Sherman" be able to sustain their momentum in the coming weeks?
More Articles to Read
'Game of Thrones' Premieres in April - 'Catch the Throne' Songs Released [Read]
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ (Y&R) Nov. 26 Spoilers: Victoria Finds Who The Father Of Her Child Is And Jack And Phyllis Rekindle Romance
- Kate Middleton Cries As She Listens To A Moving Tale Of A Mother Who Lost Her Infant Daughter
- ‘Dancing With The Stars’ (DWTS) Season 19 (2014) Finale Recap: And The Winner Is…[Spoilers]
- Kris Jenner Shocks Boyfriend Corey Gamble In The Bedroom With Her Tricks And Fabulous Sex Life
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Nov. 26, 2014, The Forrester Mansion Is All Decked Out For Thanksgiving With Family And Friends [WATCH VIDEO]
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid