Box Office Report – ‘300: Rise of an Empire’ Leads with $130 Million ‘Mr Peabody & Sherman’ Closes Second
By Sachin Trivedi | March 11, 2014 7:47 PM EST
The action fantasy "300: Rise of an Empire" ruled the box office making over $130 million worldwide and the animation flick "Mr Peabody & Sherman" came in close second making over $65 million worldwide.
Cast member Lena Headey poses at the premiere of "300: Rise of an Empire" in Hollywood, California March 4, 2014. The movie opens in the U.S. on March 7. REUTERS/Mario Anzuoni
"300: Rise of an Empire" is well on its way to match and perhaps surpass the success of the first movie released way back in 2006. The first movie made over $200 million in the U.S and over $450 million worldwide.
"300: Rise of Empire" made over $45 million in the U.S and over $87 million overseas, taking the total to just over $130 million at the weekend box office. The movie was one of the most highly anticipated for the year 2014.
The movie marks the return of the god king Xerxes. The forces of Greece led by general Themistokles try to stop the vast Persian Navy and its vengeful commander Artemisia. The battle is waged in the high seas, which is different compared to the previous movie which mostly involved land battles.
The cast of the movie includes Sullivan Stapleton as general Themistokles, Eva Green as Artemisia, Lena Headey as Queen Gorgo, Hans Matheson as Aesyklos, Callan Mulvey as Scyllias, David Wenham as Dilios and Rodrigo Santoro as king Xerxes.
The movie that came close to the earnings of "300: Rise of an Empire" at the box office is "Mr. Peabody & Sherman." The movie collected over $98 million worldwide which includes over $32 million in the U.S and over $65 million overseas.
The animation movie is about a genius dog Mr. Peabody who is a businessman, Olympic medallist, scientist and inventor. Mr Peabody and his adopted son Sherman travel back in time and meet some of the greatest people who have lived in the past.
The time travel creates a time rift that can alter the future and Mr. Peabody has to face the challenge of fixing the past in order to save the future. He has to manage to do this while facing the challenge of being a parent.
Animation movies have seen some grand success at the box office recently with Disney's "Frozen" making over $1 billion worldwide. Will the new movies "300: Rise of an Empire" and "Mr. Peabody & Sherman" be able to sustain their momentum in the coming weeks?
More Articles to Read
'Game of Thrones' Premieres in April - 'Catch the Throne' Songs Released [Read]
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 24, 2014: Katie Spills Ridge's Secret Plan While Eric's Announcement Causes A Huge Furor [WATCH VIDEO]
- Brad Pitt Forced To Talk About Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston: Asked to Compare Wife Angelina Jolie With Rachel From 'Friends'
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Major Spoilers: Death Count, The Terminus Residents’ Fate Plus Father Gabriel's Past
- ‘Star Wars: Episode 7’ Jungle Stormtroopers On Rampage – Leaked Images [Spoilers]
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers From Oct. 27-31, 2014: As Halloween Draws Near, Forrester Creations Will Reel From Eric's Shocking Decision And The Rest Will Scramble To Make Their Plans Successful [WATCH VIDEO]
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS