Lorde Slams Kyle Sandilands Over Lesbian, ‘Ellen Together’ Relationship With Taylor Swift
By Anne Lu | March 11, 2014 7:36 PM EST
Lorde has slammed Australian DJ Kyle Sandilands, not for insinuating that she’s in a lesbian relationship with Taylor Swift, but for suggesting that there’s something wrong with “Ellen together”-type of relationship.
Singer Lorde accepts the International Female Solo Artist award at the BRIT Awards, celebrating British pop music, at the O2 Arena in London February 19, 2014. REUTERS/Toby Melville
The conversation quickly turned to her burgeoning friendship with fellow Grammy Award winner when Sandilands asked her if she would be bringing Swift with her.
“I see you guys’ pictures everywhere. Are you guys like, are you together now?” Sandilands cheekily asked.
But when Lorde remained silent, he added, “Not together as lesbians. I’m not talking about ‘Ellen together.’ I’m talking about, like, you guys are friendly, right?”
It’s apparent that he was referring to Ellen DeGeneres, the popular U.S. talk show host who is a proud lesbian.
The “Royals” hitmaker appeared to be aghast at his implication that being in a same-sex relationship is a bad thing.
“What do you mean you’re not talking about ‘Ellen together?’ Is there something wrong with lesbians? Is that what you’re trying to say?”
“Oh my god no, I would love that!” Sandilands tried to appease the teen, but ruined the tune when he followed it up with, “Are you going to confirm now that you’re in a lesbian relationship with her?”
Lorde, who seemed too mature for her age, wouldn’t take the bait, simply replying, “Don’t even try it. It’s not working.”
Sandilands pressed on, saying, “I do love her, though. We get along well with her. She’s very down to earth, right?”
But the songstress knew that Sandilands was just goading her to say anything juicy about her friendship with the slightly older singer, so she just replied, “Uh, yeah.”
The shock jock, who at that point appeared to be irked by Lorde’s indifference, sarcastically said, “Don’t go too overboard explaining the friendship then.”
“I won’t, believe me,” Lorde said.
For those wondering where Jackie O was during the conversation, she was there, listening and laughing at her radio partner’s antics.
Lorde’s friendship with Swift doesn’t seem to be developing into anything romantic. Swift, judging by her past relationships, likes boys, while Lorde is in a relationship with boyfriend James Lowe.
Her rep recently denied rumours that she and Lowe are engaged after she was spotted wearing a ring.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- "Game of Thrones" Season 5 Spoilers -- Arya Stark’s New Costume, Mace Tyrell And Tycho Spotted On The Sets
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Sept. 19, 2014: Hope Needs To Decide If She Will Stay With Wyatt Or Go With Liam [WATCH VIDEO]
- ‘Mad Men’ Season 7 [Final Season] Update: Jon Hamm Talks About Surprises And Things Looking Up
- ‘The Bachelor Australia’ Season 2 Update: Laurina Talks About Her Exit, Jessica’s Acting Background Revealed
- The Pirate Bay Founder Peter Sunde’s Freedom: Hollywood People Oppose TPB Founder’s Imprisonment
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- Google Now v. Siri v. Cortana – Comparison Of The Three Leading Virtual Assistants
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Canada Consumer Alert: Costco No Longer Accepting American Express Cards Starting Jan 1