Lorde Slams Kyle Sandilands Over Lesbian, ‘Ellen Together’ Relationship With Taylor Swift
By Anne Lu | March 11, 2014 7:36 PM EST
Lorde has slammed Australian DJ Kyle Sandilands, not for insinuating that she’s in a lesbian relationship with Taylor Swift, but for suggesting that there’s something wrong with “Ellen together”-type of relationship.
Singer Lorde accepts the International Female Solo Artist award at the BRIT Awards, celebrating British pop music, at the O2 Arena in London February 19, 2014. REUTERS/Toby Melville
The conversation quickly turned to her burgeoning friendship with fellow Grammy Award winner when Sandilands asked her if she would be bringing Swift with her.
“I see you guys’ pictures everywhere. Are you guys like, are you together now?” Sandilands cheekily asked.
But when Lorde remained silent, he added, “Not together as lesbians. I’m not talking about ‘Ellen together.’ I’m talking about, like, you guys are friendly, right?”
It’s apparent that he was referring to Ellen DeGeneres, the popular U.S. talk show host who is a proud lesbian.
The “Royals” hitmaker appeared to be aghast at his implication that being in a same-sex relationship is a bad thing.
“What do you mean you’re not talking about ‘Ellen together?’ Is there something wrong with lesbians? Is that what you’re trying to say?”
“Oh my god no, I would love that!” Sandilands tried to appease the teen, but ruined the tune when he followed it up with, “Are you going to confirm now that you’re in a lesbian relationship with her?”
Lorde, who seemed too mature for her age, wouldn’t take the bait, simply replying, “Don’t even try it. It’s not working.”
Sandilands pressed on, saying, “I do love her, though. We get along well with her. She’s very down to earth, right?”
But the songstress knew that Sandilands was just goading her to say anything juicy about her friendship with the slightly older singer, so she just replied, “Uh, yeah.”
The shock jock, who at that point appeared to be irked by Lorde’s indifference, sarcastically said, “Don’t go too overboard explaining the friendship then.”
“I won’t, believe me,” Lorde said.
For those wondering where Jackie O was during the conversation, she was there, listening and laughing at her radio partner’s antics.
Lorde’s friendship with Swift doesn’t seem to be developing into anything romantic. Swift, judging by her past relationships, likes boys, while Lorde is in a relationship with boyfriend James Lowe.
Her rep recently denied rumours that she and Lowe are engaged after she was spotted wearing a ring.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ian Somerhalder–Nina Dobrev Reunion Not Happening: 'The Vampire Diaries' (TVD) Star Is 'Falling In Love' With Nikki Reed—Report
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Lawson’s Girlfriend Reportedly Entering the House Plus Sandra Gets Evicted [VIDEO]
- 'Arrow' Season 3, Episode 3 Spoilers: Merlyn vs Queen; Thea Reborn; Felicity Smoak Gets New Boss [Watch Arrow 3x03 Promo Video]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ Spoilers For Oct. 23: Find Out What Happens When Phyllis Meets Kelly
- 'NCIS' Season 12, Episode 5 Spoilers: Gibbs' Gut OKs FBI Agent Leia Pendergast; A Favorite Guest Star Returns [Watch NCIS 12x5 Promo Video]
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Canada Raises National Terror Alert Level after Suspected Jihadist Runs Over Soldier