Lorde Slams Kyle Sandilands Over Lesbian, ‘Ellen Together’ Relationship With Taylor Swift
By Anne Lu | March 11, 2014 7:36 PM EST
Lorde has slammed Australian DJ Kyle Sandilands, not for insinuating that she’s in a lesbian relationship with Taylor Swift, but for suggesting that there’s something wrong with “Ellen together”-type of relationship.
Singer Lorde accepts the International Female Solo Artist award at the BRIT Awards, celebrating British pop music, at the O2 Arena in London February 19, 2014. REUTERS/Toby Melville
The conversation quickly turned to her burgeoning friendship with fellow Grammy Award winner when Sandilands asked her if she would be bringing Swift with her.
“I see you guys’ pictures everywhere. Are you guys like, are you together now?” Sandilands cheekily asked.
But when Lorde remained silent, he added, “Not together as lesbians. I’m not talking about ‘Ellen together.’ I’m talking about, like, you guys are friendly, right?”
It’s apparent that he was referring to Ellen DeGeneres, the popular U.S. talk show host who is a proud lesbian.
The “Royals” hitmaker appeared to be aghast at his implication that being in a same-sex relationship is a bad thing.
“What do you mean you’re not talking about ‘Ellen together?’ Is there something wrong with lesbians? Is that what you’re trying to say?”
“Oh my god no, I would love that!” Sandilands tried to appease the teen, but ruined the tune when he followed it up with, “Are you going to confirm now that you’re in a lesbian relationship with her?”
Lorde, who seemed too mature for her age, wouldn’t take the bait, simply replying, “Don’t even try it. It’s not working.”
Sandilands pressed on, saying, “I do love her, though. We get along well with her. She’s very down to earth, right?”
But the songstress knew that Sandilands was just goading her to say anything juicy about her friendship with the slightly older singer, so she just replied, “Uh, yeah.”
The shock jock, who at that point appeared to be irked by Lorde’s indifference, sarcastically said, “Don’t go too overboard explaining the friendship then.”
“I won’t, believe me,” Lorde said.
For those wondering where Jackie O was during the conversation, she was there, listening and laughing at her radio partner’s antics.
Lorde’s friendship with Swift doesn’t seem to be developing into anything romantic. Swift, judging by her past relationships, likes boys, while Lorde is in a relationship with boyfriend James Lowe.
Her rep recently denied rumours that she and Lowe are engaged after she was spotted wearing a ring.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Reports: Alleged Miscarriage Makes Prince William and Prince Harry Somber - Reports
- Ed Sheeran Disappoints Taylor Swift and Other A-List Celebrities, Scolded for Spilling Secrets - Reports
- Beyonce and Jay Z: HOV May Have a Sextape with Carmen Bryan, Report Suggests; Queen Bey ‘Beyond Furious’
- The Bachelorette Season 10 (2014) Finale, ATFR Spoilers: Find Out: Will Andi Dorfman Accept the Proposal and is She Still With the Winner
- Jim Parsons Quits The Big Bang Theory News Turns Out Hoax, but Actor ‘Not’ Sure about his Return in Season 8
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- Killer Whales Gobble Japanese Whaling Crew
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- 12-inch MacBook Apple Retina and 2014 MacBook Pro to Feature Liquid Sensors, Release in October
- Travel at Own Risk; Emirates, Qantas Differ on Flying over Iraq Warzone; Emirates Reroutes, Qantas Pushes On
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal