Lorde Slams Kyle Sandilands Over Lesbian, ‘Ellen Together’ Relationship With Taylor Swift
By Anne Lu | March 11, 2014 7:36 PM EST
Lorde has slammed Australian DJ Kyle Sandilands, not for insinuating that she’s in a lesbian relationship with Taylor Swift, but for suggesting that there’s something wrong with “Ellen together”-type of relationship.
Singer Lorde accepts the International Female Solo Artist award at the BRIT Awards, celebrating British pop music, at the O2 Arena in London February 19, 2014. REUTERS/Toby Melville
The conversation quickly turned to her burgeoning friendship with fellow Grammy Award winner when Sandilands asked her if she would be bringing Swift with her.
“I see you guys’ pictures everywhere. Are you guys like, are you together now?” Sandilands cheekily asked.
But when Lorde remained silent, he added, “Not together as lesbians. I’m not talking about ‘Ellen together.’ I’m talking about, like, you guys are friendly, right?”
It’s apparent that he was referring to Ellen DeGeneres, the popular U.S. talk show host who is a proud lesbian.
The “Royals” hitmaker appeared to be aghast at his implication that being in a same-sex relationship is a bad thing.
“What do you mean you’re not talking about ‘Ellen together?’ Is there something wrong with lesbians? Is that what you’re trying to say?”
“Oh my god no, I would love that!” Sandilands tried to appease the teen, but ruined the tune when he followed it up with, “Are you going to confirm now that you’re in a lesbian relationship with her?”
Lorde, who seemed too mature for her age, wouldn’t take the bait, simply replying, “Don’t even try it. It’s not working.”
Sandilands pressed on, saying, “I do love her, though. We get along well with her. She’s very down to earth, right?”
But the songstress knew that Sandilands was just goading her to say anything juicy about her friendship with the slightly older singer, so she just replied, “Uh, yeah.”
The shock jock, who at that point appeared to be irked by Lorde’s indifference, sarcastically said, “Don’t go too overboard explaining the friendship then.”
“I won’t, believe me,” Lorde said.
For those wondering where Jackie O was during the conversation, she was there, listening and laughing at her radio partner’s antics.
Lorde’s friendship with Swift doesn’t seem to be developing into anything romantic. Swift, judging by her past relationships, likes boys, while Lorde is in a relationship with boyfriend James Lowe.
Her rep recently denied rumours that she and Lowe are engaged after she was spotted wearing a ring.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Avengers 2: Capt.America Dances With Peggy Carter, First Love Returns
- Kim Kardashian and Kanye West Break-Up Furor Ceased: West Gets Turned on by Kim, Puts Rest to Marriage Trouble Reports
- Selena Gomez's Mystery Man Identified as Businessman Tommy Chiabra, Singer Flirts and Shares Same Towel with Him -- Reports
- NCIS Season 12 Spoilers: Fans Fear Cote de Pablo Not Coming Back, Tony DiNozzo Moving On from Ziva David
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Report: Duchess Expecting a Baby Girl, Prince William Wants 3 Kids [PHOTOS]
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown