New iOS v7.1 Update Rolled Out for Apple Devices; Brings CarPlay Support, Bug Fixes and More
By Rohit KVN | March 11, 2014 7:04 PM EST
Cupertino based technology giant on the eve of company's iTunes Festival SXSW (11-14 March 2014) has released the much awaited iOS v7.1 update to Apple devices.
Attendees sit in front of an Apple logo at the Apple Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC) 2013 in San Francisco, California June 10, 2013. (Credit: Reuters)
The new firmware comes with a load of new features, bug-fixes, cosmetic changes for interface, new camera setting option HDR (only for iPhone 5S) and enhancing capabilities to iPhones, iPads and iPod Touch devices. It is available via OTA and manual downloading options.
To update via OTA (Over-The-Air):
- Go to Settings >> General >> Software Update
- Then tap 'Download',
- Once software is downloaded, Tap Install to complete the process.
(Note: Owners are recommended to plug the device to power source and use Wi-Fi connection for smooth installation)
To update manually from PC via iTunes:
- Connect the Apple device to PC (make sure you have latest iTunes software)
- In iTunes, select your device
- In the Summary pane, click 'Check for update'
- Click download and update your Apple device
Devices Compatible with New OS Update:
The new firmware is compatible with few iPhones (2010 and above versions) which includes - Apple iPhone 5S, iPhone 5C, iPhone 5, iPhone 4S, iPhone 4, whereas, iPad devices (2011 and later models) are eligible to download the new iOS version. It includes the new iPad Air (fifth generation), iPad Mini (second generation, 2013) with Retina display, iPad Mini (2012), iPad (fourth generation: November, 2012), iPad 3 (March, 2012), iPad 2 (2011), and the music console iPod Touch (fifth generation), reported BGR.
Key Features of Apple iOS v7.1 Firmware:
CarPlay: This is the newest feature in the update, which enables iPhones to connect to CarPlay compatible vehicles, so that he/she can play music, read messages, maps, open third party audio apps and also control with Siri and car's touch screen, knobs and buttons.
Enhanced Voice-assistant Siri: The update brings manual control for Siri, users have to press the home button and hold to activate voice command protocol, and once said, he/she can release the button. It also comes with new male and female voices for Mandarin Chinese, UK English, Australian English and Japanese.
- Search field above Features Stations to help user to create stations based on favorite artist or song
- Purchase albums with tap of a button from Now Playing
- Subscribe to iTunes Match on your iPhone, iPad /iPod touch to get ad-free iTunes Radio ad-free
- Option to display events in month view
- Country specific holidays have automatically added for many regions
- Bold font option for keyboard, calculator, and many other icon glyphs
- Option - 'Reduce Motion' now includes Weather, Messages, and multi-tasking UI animations
- New options to display button shapes, darken app colors and white point
- New camera setting to enable HDR for iPhone 5S
- iCloud KeyChain support in additional regions
- FaceTime call notifications are automatically cleared when you answer a call on another device
- Home screen crash bug fixed
- Fixes display of Mail unread badge for number greater than 10,000
- Improves Touch-ID finger-print recognition in iPhone 5S
- Also enhances performance for the 2010 model iPhone 4
- More interface refinements
(Edited by Anu James)
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Woman Hanged In Iran Talks Abuse In Prison, Left Chilling Message To Family
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight