Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370: Aviation Chief’s Claim that Man Travelling in Stolen Passport Looked Like Mario Balotelli Sparks Outrage
By Gopi Chandra Kharel | March 11, 2014 6:40 PM EST
Malaysia's Aviation Chief has come under staunch criticism in social media after he said that one of the men who used stolen passport looks like Italian footballer, Maria Balotelli.
Malaysia's Aviation Chief has come under staunch criticism in social media after he said one of the men who used stolen passport looks like Italian footballer, Maria Balotelli. (Picture: Wiki Commons)
The comparison was made at a press conference by the Malaysia's Civil Aviation Authority head Azharudin Abdul Rahman.
Rahman had been asked to confirm an earlier assertion made by Malaysia's Home Minister that the two men who boarded missing Malaysia Airlines flight 370 looked like Asians.
Rahman denied the statement by Home Minister and emphasised that one's skin colour cannot really indicate which country that person belongs to. He even gave a reference to Balotelli - a Ghanaian-born Italian footballer with AC Milan and Italian international to stress on his point.
The reference has angered many people in the social media for more than a few reasons. Firstly the reference to Balotteli was followed by an outburst of laughter in the conference - making many people feel that it could be a case of racial profiling.
Rahman referred to the footballer after initially struggling to pronounce his name, which led to an explosion of laughter in the room packed with journalists.
"Do you know a footballer by the name of Bartoli (sis)? He's an Italian. Do you know what he looks like? Balotelli," he told reporters late on Monday.
He correctly pronounced the name as Balotelli after journalists suggested it - an event that suddenly turned the serious discourse on the missing Malaysian flight to a seemingly funny chat.
Following are some of the reactions to this issue on Twitter:
@AlbertoNardelli MB asks to be left alone + treated like a normal person. Gets this. Adds to the media circus. Unnecessary. Irresponsible
— James Horncastle (@JamesHorncastle) March 10, 2014
@JamesHorncastle It’s crazy. I can’t believe aviation chief said that. Unbelievable. — Alberto Nardelli (@AlbertoNardelli) March 10, 2014
— Fred Ndaga® (@fndaga) March 10, 2014
When Malaysian officials try to profile others, miserably http://t.co/TPo0sqA3kb #Balotelli #MH370 — Zashnain Zainal (@bedlamfury) March 10, 2014
— jn (@fivetwosix) March 10, 2014
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Pregnant Kate Middleton Wants To Have A Big Family With ‘Five Children’ At Anmer Hall Residence- Reports
- ISIS European Teen Jihadists Allegedly Pregnant; New Zealand Silent On Kiwi Jihadist's Request To Return Home
- New Zealand Scientists Dissect Well-Preserved Female Colossal Squid [VIDEO]
- ISIS Murder Videos 'Turning On' Foreign Jihadists To Fight US and Britain [VIDEO]
- 24-year-old Playboy Model Marries 81-year-old Construction Tycoon Richard Lugner
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- iPhone 6 Plus vs Xiaomi Mi4 – The iPhone Killer Certainly Can Battle Well With The New Apple Phablet
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MF 370: Indonesian Police Chief Claims He Knows What Happened To Missing Jet