Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370: Aviation Chief’s Claim that Man Travelling in Stolen Passport Looked Like Mario Balotelli Sparks Outrage
By Gopi Chandra Kharel | March 11, 2014 6:40 PM EST
Malaysia's Aviation Chief has come under staunch criticism in social media after he said that one of the men who used stolen passport looks like Italian footballer, Maria Balotelli.
Malaysia's Aviation Chief has come under staunch criticism in social media after he said one of the men who used stolen passport looks like Italian footballer, Maria Balotelli. (Picture: Wiki Commons)
The comparison was made at a press conference by the Malaysia's Civil Aviation Authority head Azharudin Abdul Rahman.
Rahman had been asked to confirm an earlier assertion made by Malaysia's Home Minister that the two men who boarded missing Malaysia Airlines flight 370 looked like Asians.
Rahman denied the statement by Home Minister and emphasised that one's skin colour cannot really indicate which country that person belongs to. He even gave a reference to Balotelli - a Ghanaian-born Italian footballer with AC Milan and Italian international to stress on his point.
The reference has angered many people in the social media for more than a few reasons. Firstly the reference to Balotteli was followed by an outburst of laughter in the conference - making many people feel that it could be a case of racial profiling.
Rahman referred to the footballer after initially struggling to pronounce his name, which led to an explosion of laughter in the room packed with journalists.
"Do you know a footballer by the name of Bartoli (sis)? He's an Italian. Do you know what he looks like? Balotelli," he told reporters late on Monday.
He correctly pronounced the name as Balotelli after journalists suggested it - an event that suddenly turned the serious discourse on the missing Malaysian flight to a seemingly funny chat.
Following are some of the reactions to this issue on Twitter:
@AlbertoNardelli MB asks to be left alone + treated like a normal person. Gets this. Adds to the media circus. Unnecessary. Irresponsible
— James Horncastle (@JamesHorncastle) March 10, 2014
@JamesHorncastle It’s crazy. I can’t believe aviation chief said that. Unbelievable. — Alberto Nardelli (@AlbertoNardelli) March 10, 2014
— Fred Ndaga® (@fndaga) March 10, 2014
When Malaysian officials try to profile others, miserably http://t.co/TPo0sqA3kb #Balotelli #MH370 — Zashnain Zainal (@bedlamfury) March 10, 2014
— jn (@fivetwosix) March 10, 2014
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Slow-Moving Yet Unrelenting Hawaii Lava Now Only Inches Away From Pahoa Homes
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Cavaliers, LeBron James Flop In First Game Back In Cleveland; New York Knicks, Melo Pull Off Road Upset, 95-90 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Video Showing Mentally Disabled African American Shot 46 Times By Eight Police Officers For Just Holding A Penknife
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Forced To Return To Royal Engagements, Feuding With The Queen Over Royal Duties---Report
- Google Loses Lawsuit Against Canadian Woman Over Breast Exposure
- Robbery Attempt in Sydney Bank, Armed Robbers on The Loose
- Father Spots A Bald Patch On The Lawn Outside His Girls' Bedroom And Gets Shocked At The Reason
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Dismantling Of Fukushima Reactor 1 Faces Delays, US Judge Gives Sailor Go Signal To Push Through Lawsuit Against TEPCO Over Radiation
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge To Be Available Through T-Mobile In The US
- Five Extreme Drop Tests On BlackBerry Passport Reveals Its Endurance [Watch Video]
- Updated iOS 8 Pangu Untethered Jailbreak Now Fully Works with Cydia: Key Fixes & Mods to Expect
- Ex-Ohio Trooper Pleads Guilty To Issuing Sex as Penalty To Women Motorists