Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370: Aviation Chief’s Claim that Man Travelling in Stolen Passport Looked Like Mario Balotelli Sparks Outrage
By Gopi Chandra Kharel | March 11, 2014 6:40 PM EST
Malaysia's Aviation Chief has come under staunch criticism in social media after he said that one of the men who used stolen passport looks like Italian footballer, Maria Balotelli.
Malaysia's Aviation Chief has come under staunch criticism in social media after he said one of the men who used stolen passport looks like Italian footballer, Maria Balotelli. (Picture: Wiki Commons)
The comparison was made at a press conference by the Malaysia's Civil Aviation Authority head Azharudin Abdul Rahman.
Rahman had been asked to confirm an earlier assertion made by Malaysia's Home Minister that the two men who boarded missing Malaysia Airlines flight 370 looked like Asians.
Rahman denied the statement by Home Minister and emphasised that one's skin colour cannot really indicate which country that person belongs to. He even gave a reference to Balotelli - a Ghanaian-born Italian footballer with AC Milan and Italian international to stress on his point.
The reference has angered many people in the social media for more than a few reasons. Firstly the reference to Balotteli was followed by an outburst of laughter in the conference - making many people feel that it could be a case of racial profiling.
Rahman referred to the footballer after initially struggling to pronounce his name, which led to an explosion of laughter in the room packed with journalists.
"Do you know a footballer by the name of Bartoli (sis)? He's an Italian. Do you know what he looks like? Balotelli," he told reporters late on Monday.
He correctly pronounced the name as Balotelli after journalists suggested it - an event that suddenly turned the serious discourse on the missing Malaysian flight to a seemingly funny chat.
Following are some of the reactions to this issue on Twitter:
@AlbertoNardelli MB asks to be left alone + treated like a normal person. Gets this. Adds to the media circus. Unnecessary. Irresponsible
— James Horncastle (@JamesHorncastle) March 10, 2014
@JamesHorncastle It’s crazy. I can’t believe aviation chief said that. Unbelievable. — Alberto Nardelli (@AlbertoNardelli) March 10, 2014
— Fred Ndaga® (@fndaga) March 10, 2014
When Malaysian officials try to profile others, miserably http://t.co/TPo0sqA3kb #Balotelli #MH370 — Zashnain Zainal (@bedlamfury) March 10, 2014
— jn (@fivetwosix) March 10, 2014
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Matmo Leaves 32k Customers w/o Electricity in Taiwan, Weakens After Landing in China
Join the Conversation
- 2014 Meteor Shower: Where to Watch Delta Aquarids July 28-29 Peak Online, NASA Cameras Spotted Start of Perseid Meteor Shower
- Viral Wedding Photo: Amy Hicks Reveals True Story behind Viral Photo that Created Trending Hashtag on Twitter #westillcoming
- Six-Year-Old Canada girl Dies after Hit by Sedan in Crowded Store
- New Zealand-Born IDF Soldier Killed in Gaza Attack Amid Ceasefire Promises
- Volunteer Teen Rapes Orphans during Mission Trip
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal