Prince Harry To Prince William: I Can Do What I Like
By Anne Lu | March 11, 2014 5:57 PM EST
Prince Harry has long accepted the fact that he’s the “spare” to Prince William’s “heir.” According to his new biography, the younger British royalty learnt to take advantage of his position of being a second son from an early age.
Britain's Prince Harry speaks at the WE Day UK event at Wembley Arena in London March 7, 2014. The inaugural WE Day UK event is run by the charity Free the Children to inspire young people to take action on global issues in a voluntary capacity. REUTERS/Luke MacGregor
Royal correspondent Marcia Moody wrote in the new book that little Harry always felt that his big brother was favoured because he was the future king. Instead of brooding over that fact, he took advantage of it.
“You’ll be king, I won’t; so I can do what I want!” a 6-year-old Harry cheerfully told William.
The biography, excerpts of which have been printed by The Mirror, reads: “William often received the lion’s share of attention from some senior members of the family and some of the staff.
“The Queen Mother used to put a seat next to her and call for William to sit on it, and he also used to go to Clarence House, without Harry, to see her.”
Without the burden of becoming a king someday, Harry has been afforded more freedom than William. He was described in the book as a naughty boy who loved getting up to mischief, much to the frustration of his nannies and teachers.
He abided by Olga Powell’s strict rules, though, and that was has kept him in line during his formative years.
“Olga Powell was without doubt the favourite nanny,” Inspector Ken Wharfe said in the book. He was William and Harry’s protection officer from 1986 to 1988 and then their mother Princess Diana’s until 1993.
“She was a no non-sense individual who had almost Edwardian codes of discipline that in today’s climate you probably wouldn’t get away with. I mean she would occasionally give them a smack.
“When he was a little older, I remember one of her classic phrases to Harry was ‘Harry I love you, but I don’t like you,’ because he was a nuisance. He was vibrant. But she was strong with him and I think children like that because they know where they stand.”
His boisterous personality took a dive when he was just 12 years old and was told by his dad Prince Charles that Diana had died in 1997. Although he decided to continue as normal after the funeral, he was noticeably quieter and less active at school.
Harry, 29, is said to have started royal marriage protocol after proposing to Cressida Bonas. Apparently, he wants what his brother has with his wife Kate Middleton and their son Prince George.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Star Wars Episode VII: Jedi Master's Search, Luke's Lightsaber From the Sky
- Avengers 2: Ultron's First Attack On The Avengers, More Details on the Avengers Tower Party
- Avengers 2: Capt.America Dances With Peggy Carter, First Love Returns
- Kim Kardashian and Kanye West Break-Up Furor Ceased: West Gets Turned on by Kim, Puts Rest to Marriage Trouble Reports
- Selena Gomez & Andre Hamann Update: Andre Calls Selena Stunning, Admits Crush on Singer
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales