Barack Obama Loses Bet to Stephen Harper Again, Sends Beer to Canadian Embassy
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | March 11, 2014 5:03 PM EST
U.S. President Barack Obama does not lose all the time but, when he does, he makes sure to be a good sport. That is how it turned up to be when he lost a couple of bets to Canada Prime Minister Stephen Harper during the 2014 Sochi Olympics in February.
U.S. President Barack Obama joins Mexico's President Enrique Pena Nieto (unseen) and Canada's Prime Minister Stephen Harper (unseen) for a news conference in the Patio Central at the El Palacio de Gobierno del Estado de Mexico to end the North American Leaders Summit in Toluca, Mexico, February 19, 2014
A case of beer was at stake for each bet as Mr Obama put his bet on the U.S. hockey teams against Canada. His first bet was that the U.S. Women's Team would beat Canada's at the final, while the other bet was that the Men's Team would snatch victory from Canada at the semifinal. Much to the misery of Mr Obama, the United States lost to Canada on both occasions, and Mr Harper never stopped smiling.
The cases of beer, however, never reached Mr Harper who claimed in TSN 1050 Radio in Toronto that Mr Obama had never failed to deliver before. Mr. Harper said in a radio interview that Mr Obama had lost bets to him before but never failed to pay up. Additionally, he also said in the interview that he was yet to receive the beer as promised. Mr Harper's revelation worked wonderfully well as the Canadian embassy in Washington received a couple of cases of beer on Monday, March 10, CTV News reported.
One may presume that Mr Obama was reminded about his unfulfilled promise by the National Security Council after Mr Harper's interview had been aired. NSC (@NSCPress) tweeted to ask the Canadian embassy to confirm the receipt of the beer. The embassy (@connect2canada) tweeted back with an image of the cases of beer and confirmed that the beer was "safe and sound." Mr. Harper too tweeted after receiving the cases of beer. He wrote that it was "nice to see" that Mr. Obama fulfilled his promise and sent the beer.
— Stephen Harper (@pmharper) March 10, 2014
Reuters reported that the betting between the national leaders of two of the strongest economies in the world took place in Mexico during a summit.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Teachers’ Strike in BC, Canada Stalls 1st Day of School; Labour Dispute Could Last Even After Labour Day
- Russia Massacres Ukrainian Volunteer Battalions—Surviving Members Alleged
- ISIS Will Target the U.S. Power Grid, Former CIA Says; Could Tap Other Fellow Extremist Groups to Do the Job
- Australia Races Against Potential Genocide In Iraq
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase