From Malaysia: Hoax Claims in Missing Flight MH370 Disproved by CCTV
By Athena Yenko | March 11, 2014 4:59 PM EST
A terrorist group, the Chinese Martyrs' Brigade, claimed responsibility for the missing Malaysian flight MH370 through sending a PDF statement to media outlets. The group claimed that the terrorist act was way of pay back. "You kill one of our clan, we will kill 100 of you as payback," the statement said. The PDF file was also sent using encrypted Hushmail anonymous remailer service which cannot be replied and traced.
The statement also expressed regret in killing all the passengers of the missing flight, saying that they only wanted to kill the 153 Chinese passengers.
"We wished 100% of the flight was all Chinese people," the statement said.
The group threatened to commit another attack until the Chinese government changed its national policy on human rights and stops oppression of ethnic minorities.
According to another report from WantChinaTimes, Uyghur activists (also mentioned in the PDF statement) claimed they were responsible for the missing Malaysian flight MH370 to spark ethnic tensions.
Uyghur activists condemned the Chinese government for its persecution of Uyghur ethnic minority. The minority was allegedly responsible for organised assaults on Chinese policemen in China's Xinjiang Uyghur autonomous region, for a jeep accident in Tiananmen Square and mass stabbing in the Yunnan capital of Kunming recently.
Greg Barton, a professor from Australia's Monash University said that if information revealed through the plane's black box proved the suspicion of a mid-air explosion, then Beijing has basis to link the missing Malaysian flight to Uyghur activists.
However, Malaysian officials and Chinese media outlets were quick to dismiss the statement as hoax for it did not give specifics about how the plane crashed.
Civil Aviation Department Chief Azharuddin Abdul Rahman said that CCTV footage revealed that the two men suspected of being terrorists were not of Asian appearance. The press conference was done following claims from the Chinese Martyrs' Brigade.
"It is confirmed now that they are not Asian-looking men," Mr Abdul Rahman said during a press conference.
When asked to describe the suspects, Mr Abdul Rahman said that they looked like AC Milan and Italy striker Mario Balotelli.
"Do you know a footballer by the name of Balotelli?," he said.
Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Khalid Abu Bakar also confirmed that the suspects were neither Malaysians nor Chinese.
"I can confirm that he is not a Malaysian, but cannot divulge which country he is from yet. The man we have identified is not from Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region in China. We are now working to identify the other suspect," Khalid told reporters.
Acting Transport Minister Datuk Seri Hishammuddin Hussein said that authorities cannot release the picture to the media for the meantime.
"All relevant information is being digested by the relevant intelligence agencies. It is premature to release any information for now."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Has ‘Strict Style Guide,’ Expected To Wear Winter Wardrobes During Pregnancy
- Bizarre Sex Abuse: Man Licks Woman’s Foot in Canada, Runs Away With Her Shoe
- New Zealand Pre-schooler Suffers Attack For Wearing A Jewish Cap; Anti-Semitic Act Condemned
- Australia's Direct Action Policy To Increase Projected Emmisions By 2020 -- UN Report
- Canadian Soldier Dies in 'Freak Accident' at Work
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change
- Best Black Friday 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More