Football Transfer News and Rumours: Meier Staying at Eintracht Frankfurt, Inter Milan Denies Torres, Hernandez Links and More
By James Patrick Quizon | March 11, 2014 3:50 PM EST
We take a look at the recent transfers (or non-transfers) news and rumours in the world of football. From the big names to the relative unknowns.
Alexander Meier of Eintracht Frankfurt re-signed with the club to extend his stay through 2017. The 31-year-old attacking midfielder started his career with FC St. Pauli and Hamburger SV in 2001-2003 and transferred to Eintracht Frankfurt in 2004.
Inter Milan's Guarin fights for the ball with Torino's Moretti during their Italian Serie A soccer match in Milan
He spent the last 10 years with the club and his recent great performances have turned the heads of some scouts. Meier scored a total of 15 goals in the 2013-2014.
Erick Thohir, club president of Inter Milan, has denied all rumours that a move for Chelsea forward Fernando Torres and/or Manchester United striker Javier Hernandez is in the offing.
"Chicharito is a good player but we have not spoken neither with he nor with Torres," Thohir said referring to Hernandez in a recent interview.
Fernando Torres, who has suffered various injuries recently, has scored just 4 goals in 20 appearance for the Blues this season.
More Inter Milan news, midfielder Fredy Guarin is also staying with the club according to agent Marcelo Ferreyra and a new deal is being worked out.
"I am already in Milan to talk with Inter, the meeting will happen this week,” according to the Colombian who is working out a deal that should last until 2017.
English Premier League
Thibaut Courtois’ father, Thierry debunked the rumours that his son will agree with a deal with Real Madrid in 2016. The Belgian goalkeeper still has two years left in his contract with Chelsea.
"It's an attempt to destabilise Atletico," Thierry said in an interview. “There hasn't been any contact with Real. Our negotiations with Chelsea still have to start. And Chelsea would never let him go that way, when his contract has expired. Thibaut is now focused on the season with Atletico and the Champions League."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Ronda Rousey Rejects Idea of Fight Between A Man And A Woman In The UFC
- Chelsea FC: No 'Crying' For The Blues Amid Injury Woes Ahead Of Man Utd Clash, Says Mourinho
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop