Baby Health Advisory: 'Packaging Defect' Prompts Heinz Canada to Voluntarily Recall 6 Baby Food Products
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | March 11, 2014 3:46 PM EST
Heinz Canada has decided to voluntarily recall some of its baby food products after discovering a defect in its packaging that could spoil the contents of the items.
The specific varieties included in the Heinz Canada recall are:
A baby stroller is seen as mothers play with their children at a public area in downtown Shanghai November 19, 2013. REUTERS/Carlos Barria
- Peas, zucchini, spinach
- Sweet baby vegetables
- Beef bolognese with vegetables
- Beef butternut squash rice spinach
- Tuna sweet corn chowder
- Butternut squash apricot peas couscous
All affected products come in 128-ml squeeze pouches.
A consumer complaint triggered the recall. No illnesses were reported, however.
"The Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) is informing the public that Heinz Canada has conducted a voluntary recall. The products may contain a packaging defect that may allow the entry of spoilage microorganisms," CFIA said in a statement.
Health Canada, based on a safety assessment of the products, said the risk from consuming the foods from these containers has been found to be very low to remote.
The body advised people who have fed the products to their children to watch for symptoms like nausea and diarrhea.
Both Health Canada and the CFIA provided the product recall advisory on Monday.
Consumers are advised to call Heinz Canada at 1-888-570-1675 or email them at HeinzCanada@Stericycle.com if they have further inquiries.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Apple iPhone 6 vs. OnePlus One: With Invitation-Only Model Rested, OnePlus One Can Be A Real Threat To iPhone 6
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build
- Samsung Aware Of Gap Issue On Galaxy Note 4, Mentions It As Important Manufacturing Feature In Note 4 User Manual
- ISIS Supporters are Walking Among the Many in the United States – Report
- Airstrikes Against ISIS Has Claimed Innocent Lives In Syria, Dubbed ‘Ineffective’ By Jihadi Fighters, US Military To Ask For More Spending Money