New Zealand Advised to Brace for Strengthening Tropical Cyclone Lusi
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | March 11, 2014 2:47 PM EST
Weather forecasters have urged on residents of New Zealand to brace for strengthening tropical Cyclone Lusi which is expected to hit the country in the coming weekend. North Island has been forecast to bear the brunt of the storm.
An extratropical cyclone is se
An extratropical cyclone is seen over the United Kingdom using Moderate Resolution Imaging Spectroradiometer (MODIS) on NASA's Terra satellite February 12, 2014. Picture taken February 12, 2014. REUTERS/NASA Earth Observatory/Handout via Reuters
Cyclone Lusi is currently lashing strong winds and rain to northern Vanuatu. At least one person has reportedly died from the area.
Authorities from the Vanuatu Disaster Management Office said Cyclone Lusi's strong winds downed coconut trees as well as damaged banana and cassava crops at Ambae in Penama Province.
According to AccuWeather, tropical Cyclone Lusi has already dumped 50-100 mm (2-4 inches) of rainfall across parts of Vanuatu and Fiji. About 50-100 mm (2-4 inches) more are expected as the storm departs later this week. It advised residents to brace for a potential flash flooding through Wednesday.
Cyclone Lusi will then pack on strength as it treks towards New Zealand, possibly becoming a Category 2 hurricane in the Atlantic or eastern Pacific.
Although it can weaken as it approaches New Zealand, "but it will be a dangerous storm regardless," Eric Leister, meteorologist at AccuWeather, said.
North Island is forecast to receive 125 mm (5 inches) or more of rainfall. Flooding is to be expected. "The rugged terrain of New Zealand will make flash flooding and mudslides a major concern this weekend."
If this cyclone strengthens, waves as high as over 27 feet (8 meters) could be felt in the northern coastline.
North Island could feel wind gusts of over 75 mph (120 kph), especially near the coast and over the highest terrain.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- UFO Sighting in Australia: A Mysterious 'Flying' Object With Changing Colors Observed[Watch Video]
- Volcano Eruption In Iceland: Lava Erupts More Than 50 Meters High, Prompts Aviation Alert [Video]
- Walking Fish Reveal How Our Ancestors Evolved Onto Land (Watch Video)
- Stargazing: Saturn, Moon and Mars Meet Up Last August 31
- Bad Memories Can be Changed into Good Ones, Say Scientists
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen