New Zealand Advised to Brace for Strengthening Tropical Cyclone Lusi
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | March 11, 2014 2:47 PM EST
Weather forecasters have urged on residents of New Zealand to brace for strengthening tropical Cyclone Lusi which is expected to hit the country in the coming weekend. North Island has been forecast to bear the brunt of the storm.
An extratropical cyclone is se
An extratropical cyclone is seen over the United Kingdom using Moderate Resolution Imaging Spectroradiometer (MODIS) on NASA's Terra satellite February 12, 2014. Picture taken February 12, 2014. REUTERS/NASA Earth Observatory/Handout via Reuters
Cyclone Lusi is currently lashing strong winds and rain to northern Vanuatu. At least one person has reportedly died from the area.
Authorities from the Vanuatu Disaster Management Office said Cyclone Lusi's strong winds downed coconut trees as well as damaged banana and cassava crops at Ambae in Penama Province.
According to AccuWeather, tropical Cyclone Lusi has already dumped 50-100 mm (2-4 inches) of rainfall across parts of Vanuatu and Fiji. About 50-100 mm (2-4 inches) more are expected as the storm departs later this week. It advised residents to brace for a potential flash flooding through Wednesday.
Cyclone Lusi will then pack on strength as it treks towards New Zealand, possibly becoming a Category 2 hurricane in the Atlantic or eastern Pacific.
Although it can weaken as it approaches New Zealand, "but it will be a dangerous storm regardless," Eric Leister, meteorologist at AccuWeather, said.
North Island is forecast to receive 125 mm (5 inches) or more of rainfall. Flooding is to be expected. "The rugged terrain of New Zealand will make flash flooding and mudslides a major concern this weekend."
If this cyclone strengthens, waves as high as over 27 feet (8 meters) could be felt in the northern coastline.
North Island could feel wind gusts of over 75 mph (120 kph), especially near the coast and over the highest terrain.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- Ice Bucket Challenge Toddler Scarlett-Rose Davis Who Uses F-Word Apologises - Watch Original Video
- Papua New Guinea’s Mount Tavurvur Erupts, Qantas Reroutes Flights
- Tiny Beads Found In Shampoo And Exfoliants Are A Threat to the Sydney Harbour
- Underground Eruption of A Volcano Noticed As Powerful Earthquakes Rock Iceland
- New Nail Polish Changes Colour When Exposed to Date-Rape Drugs: Helps Women Safety
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- ISIS Wants $6.6M and Release of Aafia Siddiqui in Exchange of Head of Female US Humanitarian Aid Worker, 1st American Fighting for Jihadis Dead
- Ukraine Ceasefire Looks Remote As Putin Talks Tough At Meeting With Poroshenko
- James Foley Torture Involves CIA Waterboarding Technique