New Zealand Advised to Brace for Strengthening Tropical Cyclone Lusi
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | March 11, 2014 2:47 PM EST
Weather forecasters have urged on residents of New Zealand to brace for strengthening tropical Cyclone Lusi which is expected to hit the country in the coming weekend. North Island has been forecast to bear the brunt of the storm.
An extratropical cyclone is se
An extratropical cyclone is seen over the United Kingdom using Moderate Resolution Imaging Spectroradiometer (MODIS) on NASA's Terra satellite February 12, 2014. Picture taken February 12, 2014. REUTERS/NASA Earth Observatory/Handout via Reuters
Cyclone Lusi is currently lashing strong winds and rain to northern Vanuatu. At least one person has reportedly died from the area.
Authorities from the Vanuatu Disaster Management Office said Cyclone Lusi's strong winds downed coconut trees as well as damaged banana and cassava crops at Ambae in Penama Province.
According to AccuWeather, tropical Cyclone Lusi has already dumped 50-100 mm (2-4 inches) of rainfall across parts of Vanuatu and Fiji. About 50-100 mm (2-4 inches) more are expected as the storm departs later this week. It advised residents to brace for a potential flash flooding through Wednesday.
Cyclone Lusi will then pack on strength as it treks towards New Zealand, possibly becoming a Category 2 hurricane in the Atlantic or eastern Pacific.
Although it can weaken as it approaches New Zealand, "but it will be a dangerous storm regardless," Eric Leister, meteorologist at AccuWeather, said.
North Island is forecast to receive 125 mm (5 inches) or more of rainfall. Flooding is to be expected. "The rugged terrain of New Zealand will make flash flooding and mudslides a major concern this weekend."
If this cyclone strengthens, waves as high as over 27 feet (8 meters) could be felt in the northern coastline.
North Island could feel wind gusts of over 75 mph (120 kph), especially near the coast and over the highest terrain.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- NASA Astronomers Unearths Mysterious Signal That 'Could Not Be Explained By Known Physics' [Watch Video]
- Richard Norris' Successful Face Transplant Lands Him in GQ Cover [WATCH VIDEOS]
- Industrial Air Pollution May Help Search for Alien Life - Scientists
- Luxury Cruise: A 'Once In A Lifetime' Trip To Experience Environment Devastation in the Arctic
- Breaking Discovery: Industrial Pollution Reached South Pole by 19th Century
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date