Veteran AFL Member Dean Bailey Dies from Lung Cancer
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | March 11, 2014 2:09 PM EST
The senior assistant coach of AFL Adelaide, Dean Bailey, passed away after a prolonged battle with lung cancer.
Bailey, 47, died on Tuesday morning. Representatives from the club and players were called at West Lake headquarters to be informed about this sad loss.
In a recent statement on Tuesday, Adelaide Crows expressed their grief for the loss of their beloved colleague and friend.
He will always be remembered as a hardworking and family man.
The statement said "As many are aware, Dean had been battling cancer with his usual resilience and positive attitude, since being diagnosed last November."
"A fiercely loyal and caring man, Dean leaves a lasting impression on everyone at the Adelaide Football Club, and the football industry."
The chief executive of Crows, Steven Trigg, passed his condolence and said, "Our thoughts and prayers are with Dean's wife, Caron and children Darcy and Mitchell."
"They know that the entire Crows family is here to help and offer support."
Trigg further mentioned that there are few people like Bailey who understands the game.
He also said "He often told how he gained most pleasure from teaching and helping young men become better players and more importantly, better people."
"Dean's dry sense of humour also provided many priceless moments.
"His influence stretches far beyond the Adelaide Football Club, given his involvement in the game across three states."
Looking at the career profile of Bailey, it is clearly distinguishable of his long and prolific career. Bailey's career took a start in the year 1986 when he first joined North Ringwood. Having played 53 games till 1992, he spent three years with SANFL club Glenelg, where he was also coveted with the best-and-fairest trophy in the year 1995.
Having coached Queensland club Mt Gravatt for three years, Bailey went back to Essendon to serve as a development coach.
In the year 2002, Bailey joined Port Adelaide as an assistant coach under Mark Williams.
During 2008 season, Bailey joined as a senior coach for Melbourne Football Club.
In the year 2011, he joined as strategy and innovation coach.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Celebrities Who Were Victims of Rape: Psychological and Physical Effects of Rape
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Kanye West, Ben Affleck, Serena Williams Are Victims Of Migraines: Ways To Tackle It
- Men’s Tennis’ Grand Slam Winners Of 2014 – Wawrinka, Nadal, Djokovic, and Cilic
Join the Conversation
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Final: USA Vs. Serbia Live Streaming Info, Key Players And Preview
- Manchester United News: Man Utd. vs QPR Preview
- Reports Indicate Mayweather Has 2 Girlfriends: Bad Medina & Liza Hernandez
- NFL Week 2: Kansas City Chiefs Vs. Denver Broncos Live Streaming Information And Preview
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Android Lion vs Apple iOS 8: Why Make the Big Switch
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. OnePlus One – Can The Underdog Trump The Monster?
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Australia's Imam Council Rebuffs Abbott Decision To Send Troops; Wants 'Islamic' Dropped From ISIS
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown