Veteran AFL Member Dean Bailey Dies from Lung Cancer
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | March 11, 2014 2:09 PM EST
The senior assistant coach of AFL Adelaide, Dean Bailey, passed away after a prolonged battle with lung cancer.
Bailey, 47, died on Tuesday morning. Representatives from the club and players were called at West Lake headquarters to be informed about this sad loss.
In a recent statement on Tuesday, Adelaide Crows expressed their grief for the loss of their beloved colleague and friend.
He will always be remembered as a hardworking and family man.
The statement said "As many are aware, Dean had been battling cancer with his usual resilience and positive attitude, since being diagnosed last November."
"A fiercely loyal and caring man, Dean leaves a lasting impression on everyone at the Adelaide Football Club, and the football industry."
The chief executive of Crows, Steven Trigg, passed his condolence and said, "Our thoughts and prayers are with Dean's wife, Caron and children Darcy and Mitchell."
"They know that the entire Crows family is here to help and offer support."
Trigg further mentioned that there are few people like Bailey who understands the game.
He also said "He often told how he gained most pleasure from teaching and helping young men become better players and more importantly, better people."
"Dean's dry sense of humour also provided many priceless moments.
"His influence stretches far beyond the Adelaide Football Club, given his involvement in the game across three states."
Looking at the career profile of Bailey, it is clearly distinguishable of his long and prolific career. Bailey's career took a start in the year 1986 when he first joined North Ringwood. Having played 53 games till 1992, he spent three years with SANFL club Glenelg, where he was also coveted with the best-and-fairest trophy in the year 1995.
Having coached Queensland club Mt Gravatt for three years, Bailey went back to Essendon to serve as a development coach.
In the year 2002, Bailey joined Port Adelaide as an assistant coach under Mark Williams.
During 2008 season, Bailey joined as a senior coach for Melbourne Football Club.
In the year 2011, he joined as strategy and innovation coach.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation