Veteran AFL Member Dean Bailey Dies from Lung Cancer
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | March 11, 2014 2:09 PM EST
The senior assistant coach of AFL Adelaide, Dean Bailey, passed away after a prolonged battle with lung cancer.
Bailey, 47, died on Tuesday morning. Representatives from the club and players were called at West Lake headquarters to be informed about this sad loss.
In a recent statement on Tuesday, Adelaide Crows expressed their grief for the loss of their beloved colleague and friend.
He will always be remembered as a hardworking and family man.
The statement said "As many are aware, Dean had been battling cancer with his usual resilience and positive attitude, since being diagnosed last November."
"A fiercely loyal and caring man, Dean leaves a lasting impression on everyone at the Adelaide Football Club, and the football industry."
The chief executive of Crows, Steven Trigg, passed his condolence and said, "Our thoughts and prayers are with Dean's wife, Caron and children Darcy and Mitchell."
"They know that the entire Crows family is here to help and offer support."
Trigg further mentioned that there are few people like Bailey who understands the game.
He also said "He often told how he gained most pleasure from teaching and helping young men become better players and more importantly, better people."
"Dean's dry sense of humour also provided many priceless moments.
"His influence stretches far beyond the Adelaide Football Club, given his involvement in the game across three states."
Looking at the career profile of Bailey, it is clearly distinguishable of his long and prolific career. Bailey's career took a start in the year 1986 when he first joined North Ringwood. Having played 53 games till 1992, he spent three years with SANFL club Glenelg, where he was also coveted with the best-and-fairest trophy in the year 1995.
Having coached Queensland club Mt Gravatt for three years, Bailey went back to Essendon to serve as a development coach.
In the year 2002, Bailey joined Port Adelaide as an assistant coach under Mark Williams.
During 2008 season, Bailey joined as a senior coach for Melbourne Football Club.
In the year 2011, he joined as strategy and innovation coach.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Freddie Roach Provoking ‘Washed-Up’ Floyd Mayweather Jr., Says Manny Pacquiao Will KO Undefeated American
- Sharapova, Halep, Ivanovic, Wozniacki, Kvitova, Radwanska, Kerber Make Early Commitment To Stuttgart Open
- ‘Floyd Rhymes With Avoid,’ Says Manny Pacquiao
- 2014 Dancing With The Stars Australia: Former AFL Star David Rodan Declared Winner
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid