Colorado - World's First Fully Regulated Recreational Marijuana Market - Collects $2M in Recreational Pot Taxes
By Alyssa Ashley Lucas | March 11, 2014 1:56 PM EST
The state of Colorado in the U.S. considered to have the world's first fully regulated recreational marijuana market, reportedly collected $2 million in taxes from recreational marijuana sales in January 2014.
Marijuana plants are seen in an indoor cultivation in Montevideo December 6, 2013.
At present, Denver, Colorado has more marijuana stores than Starbucks coffee shops, CBC reported. Colorado and Washington are the two states with legal recreational marijuana. Colorado legalized pot in 2012 and went on sale in New Year's Day. Washington, though, is yet to go on sale in summer.
The report stated that all marijuana products are barcodes-imprinted and can be traced electronically. Residents of Denver can only buy an ounce at a time, while visitors are limited to a quarter ounce.
Despite marijuana being legal in Denver, though, people can't smoke the pot in a public place as it will mean getting a fine. And, the marijuana should only stay in Colorado. People can't take the pot with them when they leave the state.
Also, the report stated that "smoking is out" in Colorado, but eating marijuana-laced products is in. Marijuana, which is also called cannabis, is often consumed for its psychoactive and physiological effects according to Wiki. Today, cannabis is used either for recreational or medical use.
"The future is so bright," Toni Fox, owner of 3D Cannibary Center in Denver, told USA Today.
USA Today reported that according to Colorado's Department of Revenue, 59 businesses filed their tax return for recreational pot by the end of January. As of mid-Feb, however, Colorado already has 163 marijuana retail stores.
According to Fox, before Jan. 1, her business sales were typically $1,000 in medical marijuana, but on New Year's Day when recreational marijuana went on sale her sales skyrocketed to $40,000.
One problem, in spite of all the positives, seems to rise in the occasion, though. People are asking if there is a device that can detect or test whether a person is driving under the influence of marijuana as it is to driving under the influence of alcohol. The question of the people now is: what will the state of Colorado do with that?
In addition, according to CBC, there is the banking issue, because banks are still worried about accommodating profits coming from drugs.
Still, reports claim about getting high revenue from selling marijuana. And only in its first month, recreational marijuana is already giving the state of Colorado with roughly $2M in taxes.
Overall, not just in recreational taxes, USA Today reported that Colorado collected more than $3.5 million in taxes and fees both coming from recreational and medical marijuana.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- MH370 Update: Australians Unveil New Map To Find The Missing Plane
- Surge in UFO Sightings in Queensland Observed; Gold Coast 'Hot Spot' of UFO Encounters
- Court Grants Indian Man Divorce Over Wife’s Insatiable Sex Demands
- ISIS Threat: Australia Terror Alert Level at 'Medium' as Saudi King Warns of Attacks in Europe in a Month
- Jennifer Lawrence Nude Photos Leak Raises Doubts on Apple's iCloud; How to Secure Apple ID
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones