Google Nexus 6 is iPhone 6, Galaxy S5 Killer on Release Date with IP67 Waterproof, Dustproof Features – Reports
By Erik Pineda | March 11, 2014 11:51 AM EST
The Nexus 6 on release date is following the lead of Galaxy S5 by including IP67 certification with the vanilla Android device - that is if reports prove true that the next Nexus smartphone will be patterned after the LG G3.
Nexus 6 concept image
Brandishing IP67 would mean that a gadget can repel dust intrusion and water-induced damages, which would be the same capabilities that the LG G3 would show off on launch date, CNET said in a report.
CNET points to a translated report of ETNews from South Korea as source of its information.
Now recall that the same G3 has been mentioned in a Gizmodo Germany report last week, saying that the upcoming 2014 LG flagship phone will likely become the Nexus 6 template. The same report suggested that the LG G2 successor will debut in early June or a few weeks before the Nexus 5 replacement will hit the market.
And being water-resistant as among its banner features makes sense for the Google signature smartphone as it will have to tussle with the Galaxy S5, which Samsung has made more robust by deploying it with the ability to fight off liquid incursion for up to 30 minutes of one-meter deep water immersion.
That will be the case too for the G3 and most likely Google will borrow the same feature in time for the Nexus 6 unpacking.
Note, however, that the ETNews is not clear on the exact certification that the G3 will showcase out of the box as BGR noted that water and dust proofing for devices vary depending on the specific technology employed by manufacturers.
For instance, the Sony Xperia Z2 is better than the GS5 as the former can be submerged to 3-meter deep water and will remain in tip-top condition.
The same report from BGR also revealed that the LG G3 is as handset bearing the codename LG-D850, citing popular gadget news leaker @evleaks as source.
Now if the Gizmodo report will be a spot-on scoop, then the Nexus 6 would be an LG-built device with just a different model number, that is going by on the Nexus 5 experience last year. The fifth Nexus was also known as LG-D820, coming after the LG G2 that is internally referred to as the LG-D800.
Basing again on LG G3 rumours that leaked out last week, the Nexus 6 on release date will boast of 64-bit quad-core processing chip, probably a toss between Snapdragon 805 and 810, a 5.2-inch display in 2560 x 1440 screen resolution a killer rear camera at 16MP.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
Join the Conversation
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build