Air Canada Mulls Fare Hike Due to Weak Currency
By Vittorio Hernandez | March 11, 2014 10:07 AM EST
Air Canada is studying the possibility of hiking its plane fares due to the country's weak currency, including charging for initial checked luggage.
Calin Rovinescu, the air carrier's chief executive officer, has not given any indication by how much the plane ticket's price would increase, but as an indication of things to come, he said there are no free lunches.
In the later part of January 2014, Air Canada Vacations imposed a $35 currency surcharge, while subsidiary WestJet increased fares by 2 per cent.
He could only confirm that "There are going to be some revenue strategies and some cost strategies."
Besides hiking fares, Air Canada also boosted its capacity, particularly available seat miles by 4.9 per cent compared with February 2012 in response to the 3.8 per cent rise in passenger traffic.
The higher capacity and passenger traffic are considered good signs despite the cold weather that led to many flight cancellations and the late Easter that pushed travel plans to later in spring.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- South Australia OKs $800M Copper, Gold & Iron Ore Mine on Prime Agri Land in Yorke Peninsula
- Australian Stock Market Report –Midday July 30, 2014
- Shanghai Stock Exchange Will Not Extend Trading Hours
- Long Beach Real Estate Market Is Pricing Out Home Buyers with Limited Budget
- Australian Stock Market Report –Afternoon July 30, 2014
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- 5 Food Scandals That Shocked The World
- Iran Leader Asks Muslims to Supply Arms to Palestine, Calls Israel ‘Rapacious Wolf’