Air Canada Mulls Fare Hike Due to Weak Currency
By Vittorio Hernandez | March 11, 2014 10:07 AM EST
Air Canada is studying the possibility of hiking its plane fares due to the country's weak currency, including charging for initial checked luggage.
Calin Rovinescu, the air carrier's chief executive officer, has not given any indication by how much the plane ticket's price would increase, but as an indication of things to come, he said there are no free lunches.
In the later part of January 2014, Air Canada Vacations imposed a $35 currency surcharge, while subsidiary WestJet increased fares by 2 per cent.
He could only confirm that "There are going to be some revenue strategies and some cost strategies."
Besides hiking fares, Air Canada also boosted its capacity, particularly available seat miles by 4.9 per cent compared with February 2012 in response to the 3.8 per cent rise in passenger traffic.
The higher capacity and passenger traffic are considered good signs despite the cold weather that led to many flight cancellations and the late Easter that pushed travel plans to later in spring.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- Unidentified Benefactor Offers $30M Reward For Identity Of MH 17 Bombers; MAS Criticises Kiwi Author For Suggesting MH 370 Pilot Plotted Death Of Passengers & Crew
- Australian Stock Market Report – Midday September 19, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report – Morning September 19, 2014
- Global Markets Overview – September 19, 2014
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Unofficial ‘Samsung Galaxy Alpha’ Can Now Be Purchased For $700 In The US
- Google Now v. Siri v. Cortana – Comparison Of The Three Leading Virtual Assistants
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Canada Consumer Alert: Costco No Longer Accepting American Express Cards Starting Jan 1
- Sony Xperia E3 vs. Moto G (2014) – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown