Oscar Pistorius Trial 2014: Blade Runner Vomits after Hearing Graphic Testimony of Reeva Steenkamp’s Autopsy; Live Coverage Halted
By Gopi Chandra Kharel | March 10, 2014 11:27 PM EST
Oscar Pistorius vomited in the court as he heard the autopsy report of Reeva Steenkamp, given by a forensic medicine expert.
The judge in Pistorius' murder trial banned all live broadcast of the autopsy evidence.
Oscar Pistorius Trial 2014: The blade runner vomited inside the court as he heard the autopsy evidence of Reeva Steenkamp given by a forensic medicine expert. (Representational Picture)
Pathologist Gert Saayman said that broadcasting the report could compromise the "dignity of the deceased", the BBC reported. Saayman also said that the autopsy revealed very "personal nature of the findings" and that broadcasting the details may "harm the rights" of Steenkamp's family and friends. He added that it would go "against the morals of society" to broadcast graphic details of the deceased.
It appears that after the pathologist's remarks and Pistorius' reaction to the report, the judge banned coverage of the details both through live broadcast, as well as through Twitter feeds.
For the first time in South Africa's history, large parts of the trial have been televised. There are, however, some media restrictions in place.
Showing the faces of witness giving evidence is banned. Close-up shots of people in the courtroom are also not allowed.
The highly anticipated trial of Pistorius, often referred to as the 'trial of the century', began last week. The six-time sprint champion has pleaded not guilty to murdering his girlfriend.
The 27-year-old faces murder charges for shooting his girlfriend - the 29-year-old South African model Steenkamp - on Valantine's Day last year.
The double amputee, better known around the world as 'the blade runner', has argued that Steenkamp's death was an accident, and that he had mistaken her for an intruder breaking into his house from the toilet.
Last Tuesday, when the South African court heard grisly details of the killing of Steenkamp, Pistorius buried his head in his hands and wiped away tears, in what was the first sign of emotion.
Judge Thokozile Masipa of the Pretoria Court , who is known to have passed strong judgements in the past, now has the daunting task of deciding whether Pistorius is saying the truth or the murder was premeditated.
(Edited by Vishnuprasad S Pillai)
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
Join the Conversation
- ISIS Acquiring Nuclear Weapons A Game-Changer For Obama As UN Warns of Militants' Two-Year Supply of Weapons
- Australia's Chance Of El Niño Rises To 70%; Heatwaves And Drought To Persist
- Viral Video Wife Rapping Salt-N-Pepa Song: Husband's Video Recording Of Wife Rapping 'None Of Your Business' Goes Viral
- Woman Gets Killed After Falling Off Cliff During Expedition Near Mermaid Pool
- ‘World's Sexiest Criminal’ Says Sorry, Agrees to ‘Face Consequences’
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- 6 Big Reasons iPhone 6 Plus is Must-Have Black Friday, Christmas 2014 Buy
- NATO To Russia: 'Pull Back Your Troops'
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports