Domestic Car Sales up 1.39 Percent in February
By greeshma m | March 10, 2014 11:09 PM EST
Car sales in India surged 1.39 percent, an industry board said on Monday.
Hyundai cars are seen ready for shipment at a port in Chennai
Automakers sold 1,60,718 units of cars in India last month, up 1.39 percent from the 1,58,512 units in February 2013, PTI quoted the Society of Indian Automobile Manufacturers (SIAM) data.
The sales of motorcycles rose 5.39 percent to 8,43,307 units (from 8,00,165 units), while the commercial vehicles posted a decline of 29.84 percent to 47,982 units in February.
The surge in the car sales have been attributed to the price cut announced by the car manufacturers, following the excise duty reduction pronounced in the interim budget 2014-15. As per the latest budget, the excise duty of small cars, motorcycles, scooters and commercial vehicles in India has been cut down to 8 percent from 12 percent, while the excise duty of Sports Utility Vehicles (SUVs) has gone down to 24 percent from 30 percent.
In February, carmakers like Maruti Suzuki, Hyundai and Honda have registered a surge in domestic car sales.
Maruti, India's largest passenger carmaker, posted a 0.40 percent dip in total sales for the month of February. However, the domestic sales of the company rose to 99,758 units in February, when compared to the 97,955 units in the same month last year.
Honda car India and Ford India marked double digit growth in the domestic market sales in February 2104. Ford India's domestic sales were up 51.42 percent to 6,799 units in February as against the 4,490 units in the same corresponding month last year.
Two-wheeler makers, Bajaj Auto recorded a decline of six percent in domestic sales for February 2014. The company sold a total of 273,323 motorcycles as against the 291,297 units last year. The Honda Motorcycles sales grew by 44 percent at 3,28,521 units for February 2014.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Apple Inc (AAPL) Stock Rises Again Despite Bendgate, iOS 8 Bugs; Samsung Stock At Two-Year Low
- Hong Kong Protests Cause Closure Of Banks & Instagram Outages In China
- Federal Court Orders Coles To Hang Signs For 3 Months That It Passed Off Par-Baked Bread As Fresh From The Oven
- Ello Pegged As The Anti-Facebook Social Network
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Boxing News 2014: Social Media War Between Boxers Continues As Pacquiao Repeats Comment That Mayweather Acts Like Uneducated Person, While Ignoring ‘Miss Pac Man’ Post
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate