Willie Mason Charged for Drunk-Driving
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | March 10, 2014 9:36 PM EST
Australia's National Rugby League (NRL) player Willie Mason has been fined $900 and also banned from driving for six-months following his arrest for drink-driving on his way to training.
Mason, who was pulled over for a random breath test at 7:05 AM on January 27 recorded blood alcohol reading of 0.09 at Newcastle police station, which is almost twice the legal limit.
Mason informed police authority that he had around 20 bottles of beer along with gin and beer tonic during a 11-hour drinking session on Australia Day.
"I respect the court's judgment and I accept what I got," Mason clarified in a club statement.
Meanwhile, Newcastle Knights CEO, Matt Gidley is yet to decide the possible action against Mason.
"With the court process now complete, the club will continue to review the matter internally," said Gidley. "Our role as a club is to consider all information before handling the matter in accordance with our code of conduct. The club takes this matter very seriously and will continue to educate our players in acting responsibly."
Mason pleaded guilty last month after being arrested for drunk-driving.
The incident of Mason came as another blow to Knights after issues with Russell Packer, who was sentenced to two years in jail last January for an assault case.
The Knights also lost their opening match against Penrith by 30-8 on Saturday, with playmaker Tryone Roberts, fullback Darius Boyd and Captain Kurt Gidley failed badly to finish the match. Adding to the misery, John Mullen was also side-lined for torn hamstring.
Mason joined Newcastle Knights on April 18, 2012. He made his debut with the team at Hunter Stadium. On November 15 2012, he re-signed the deal with Knights for another two years. Mason was first signed by the Hunter Mariners in the year 1997 followed by joining Bulldogs in 1998, Sydney Roosters in 2008-09, North Queensland Cowboys in 2010 and Hull Kingston Rovers in 2011.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories