Willie Mason Charged for Drunk-Driving
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | March 10, 2014 9:36 PM EST
Australia's National Rugby League (NRL) player Willie Mason has been fined $900 and also banned from driving for six-months following his arrest for drink-driving on his way to training.
Mason, who was pulled over for a random breath test at 7:05 AM on January 27 recorded blood alcohol reading of 0.09 at Newcastle police station, which is almost twice the legal limit.
Mason informed police authority that he had around 20 bottles of beer along with gin and beer tonic during a 11-hour drinking session on Australia Day.
"I respect the court's judgment and I accept what I got," Mason clarified in a club statement.
Meanwhile, Newcastle Knights CEO, Matt Gidley is yet to decide the possible action against Mason.
"With the court process now complete, the club will continue to review the matter internally," said Gidley. "Our role as a club is to consider all information before handling the matter in accordance with our code of conduct. The club takes this matter very seriously and will continue to educate our players in acting responsibly."
Mason pleaded guilty last month after being arrested for drunk-driving.
The incident of Mason came as another blow to Knights after issues with Russell Packer, who was sentenced to two years in jail last January for an assault case.
The Knights also lost their opening match against Penrith by 30-8 on Saturday, with playmaker Tryone Roberts, fullback Darius Boyd and Captain Kurt Gidley failed badly to finish the match. Adding to the misery, John Mullen was also side-lined for torn hamstring.
Mason joined Newcastle Knights on April 18, 2012. He made his debut with the team at Hunter Stadium. On November 15 2012, he re-signed the deal with Knights for another two years. Mason was first signed by the Hunter Mariners in the year 1997 followed by joining Bulldogs in 1998, Sydney Roosters in 2008-09, North Queensland Cowboys in 2010 and Hull Kingston Rovers in 2011.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Has Got Chris Algieri Fight All Figured Out
- New York Knicks Vs. Cleveland Cavaliers Live Streaming Info, Preview And Betting Odds
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Los Angeles Lakers Suffer Second Straight Loss, Phoenix Suns Deal Kobe Bryant Another Blowout Defeat, 119-99
- Rafael Nadal To Kick Off 2015 Season At The Mubadala World Tennis Championship, Undergoes Knee Treatment Prior Appendectomy
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- 8 Important Things to Consider Before Buying or Upgrading to iPad Air 2