Poor Sleep May Lead to Lower Brain Volume: Study
By Roshni Mahesh | March 10, 2014 9:28 PM EST
Scientists have found a link between poor sleep and lowered brain volume.
Poor Sleep may lead to Lower Brain Volume
For the study, a team of researchers led by Dr Linda L Chao from the University of California, San Francisco, included 144 Gulf War Veterans. Participants provided information about their sleep patterns - their bedtime and the difficulties they experienced to fall asleep - for a one month period.
On scanning the brains with the help of Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI), researchers found that people with disrupted sleep had less frontal lobe gray matter than the others. Frontal lobe, one of main lobes of the cerebral cortex, contains dopamine-sensitive neurons that regulate short-term memory, planning, motivation, attention and reward.
"People discount the importance of sleep. So many things seem so much more important than a few extra hours of sleep a night," lead author Dr Chao told Reuters Health. "The study suggests that we shouldn't discount sleep importance."
Apart from these sleep problems; a significant number of the participants had abused alcohol (50 percent), experienced major depressive disorder (40 percent) and post-traumatic stress disorder or PTSD (18 percent).
However, the researchers couldn't prove whether sleep disturbances caused by a reduction in brain volume or a decrease in brain volume led to poor sleep. "We only know there's a relationship," Michael Breus, an Arizona clinical psychologist who is board-certified in sleep disorders, told Reuters Health. "We don't know which came first."
The importance of getting a good night's sleep is well-known. Sound sleep has a crucial role in the mental, physical and emotional health of adults and children. Previous studies have shown that short sleep durations increased the risk of obesity, diabetes, heart problems, depression and affected memory and concentration.
Following are some tips from NHS choices, UK that help to improve sleep quality:
- Fix a regular bedtime.
- Create an environment suitable for sleep, by keeping the bedroom dark, quiet and at a pleasant temperature.
- Spare a few minutes for regular exercise.
- Limit caffeine intake.
- Avoid smoking before going to bed.
- Avoid excess consumption of food or alcohol at night.
- Try out some relaxing techniques including music or simple yoga exercises before bed.
(Edited by Anu James)
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ebola: American Doctors in Liberia Trying Out New Methods
- Boxing News 2014: 12 Days to Mayweather-Maidana Rematch; Money May’s Bikram Yoga Routine Includes Placing $100 Bills Around Mat
- 5 Deadly Reasons to Stay Away From Soda (Watch Video)
- Bill Clinton Credits Sugar-Free Diet For Weight Loss: A Vegan Diet If Not Followed Properly Can Cause Weight Gain
- Low-Carb Diet Helps Reduce Risk of Heart Disease, Aids Weight Loss; A Look At Celebs Who Adopted The Diet
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- Leaker of Actresses Nude Photos Accepting PayPal Donations in Exchange For Posting Alleged Sex Video of Jennifer Lawrence, Has Naked Pictures of 100 Hollywood A-Listers