Goal Rich List 2014: Ronaldo Edges Messi as World's Richest Footballer
By Deepak Vikraman | March 10, 2014 9:12 PM EST
Cristiano Ronaldo has stepped into the shoes of David Beckham as the richest active footballer in the world, according to the Goal Rich List published on Monday.
Ronaldo usurped Beckham at the top of the list following the retirement of the latter from the sport. The Real Madrid star has jumped into the top of the table £122 million a tad more than Lionel Messi (£120.5) million, who comes in second in the list.
Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi are expectedly the two richest footballers in the world
A little surprisingly, Samuel Eto'o features third in the Goal Rich List, with earnings of £70 million, thanks largely to the lucrative €20 million (£16.5 million) a year contract he enjoyed for two years with Russian side Anzhi Makhachkala.
Eto'o signed a one-year contract with Chelsea after leaving Anzhi last summer, and is still on a considerably high salary.
Following Eto'o is Wayne Rooney, who recently became the highest paid footballer in the English Premier League after signing a five-and-a-half year contract with Manchester United worth around £300,000 a week.
According to the list, Rooney's, earnings, after taking sponsorship money also into consideration, as is the case with all the players, amounts to a sweet £69 million. Incidentally, Rooney is the only British player in the top ten list.
Kaka might look like a spent force more often than not on the field nowadays, but the Brazil great is still worth £67.5 million, with compatriot Neymar (£66 million) coming sixth in the list, while another Brazilian Ronaldinho (£64 million) is seventh.
The three Brazilians are followed by Sweden and PSG striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic, who has been in brilliant form on the field this season, with the outspoken and always entertaining forward worth £57 million.
Italy and Juventus goalkeeper Gianluigi Buffon (£52 million) comes in ninth, with Arsenal legend Thierry Henry, currently plying his trade with the New York Red Bulls in the MLS, rounding off the top ten with £47 million.
For a detailed list, click the link HERE.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Kendall Jenner Rocks Semi-Nude Balmain Lattice Dress At Paris Fashion Week [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Will Probably Pick Between Amir Khan Or Manny Pacquiao For Next Fight According to Uncle Jeff
- Rafael Nadal Back In Action To Target Novak Djokovic At China Open
- Bruce Jenner Says Lamar Odom Should Follow His Heart If He Wants To Get Back Together With Khloe Kardashian
- Maria Sharapova On Relationship With Grigor Dimitrov: ‘Everything Is Great’; Dimitrov Was Present At Sharapova’s First Round Match In China
- Grigor Dimitrov Turns To Novak Djokovic For Love Advice; Dimitrov and Sharapova At The 2014 China Open
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate