Goal Rich List 2014: Ronaldo Edges Messi as World's Richest Footballer
By Deepak Vikraman | March 10, 2014 9:12 PM EST
Cristiano Ronaldo has stepped into the shoes of David Beckham as the richest active footballer in the world, according to the Goal Rich List published on Monday.
Ronaldo usurped Beckham at the top of the list following the retirement of the latter from the sport. The Real Madrid star has jumped into the top of the table £122 million a tad more than Lionel Messi (£120.5) million, who comes in second in the list.
Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi are expectedly the two richest footballers in the world
A little surprisingly, Samuel Eto'o features third in the Goal Rich List, with earnings of £70 million, thanks largely to the lucrative €20 million (£16.5 million) a year contract he enjoyed for two years with Russian side Anzhi Makhachkala.
Eto'o signed a one-year contract with Chelsea after leaving Anzhi last summer, and is still on a considerably high salary.
Following Eto'o is Wayne Rooney, who recently became the highest paid footballer in the English Premier League after signing a five-and-a-half year contract with Manchester United worth around £300,000 a week.
According to the list, Rooney's, earnings, after taking sponsorship money also into consideration, as is the case with all the players, amounts to a sweet £69 million. Incidentally, Rooney is the only British player in the top ten list.
Kaka might look like a spent force more often than not on the field nowadays, but the Brazil great is still worth £67.5 million, with compatriot Neymar (£66 million) coming sixth in the list, while another Brazilian Ronaldinho (£64 million) is seventh.
The three Brazilians are followed by Sweden and PSG striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic, who has been in brilliant form on the field this season, with the outspoken and always entertaining forward worth £57 million.
Italy and Juventus goalkeeper Gianluigi Buffon (£52 million) comes in ninth, with Arsenal legend Thierry Henry, currently plying his trade with the New York Red Bulls in the MLS, rounding off the top ten with £47 million.
For a detailed list, click the link HERE.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- MMA News: Transgender Fighter Fallon Fox Challenges Ronda Rousey, Fires Back on ‘Ignorant’ Comments
- Amir Khan Says Algieri Doesn’t Have What It Takes To Beat Pacquiao; Khan Reportedly A Top Contender For Mayweather Jr.’s Next Fight Says Mayweather Sr
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Points Out Amir Khan's Poor Boxing Record
- Floyd Mayweather Admits Marcos Maidana’s Power Shot Hurt Him [VIDEO]
- WWE Night of Champions Live Streaming Info, Preview and Predictions
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?