Goal Rich List 2014: Ronaldo Edges Messi as World's Richest Footballer
By Deepak Vikraman | March 10, 2014 9:12 PM EST
Cristiano Ronaldo has stepped into the shoes of David Beckham as the richest active footballer in the world, according to the Goal Rich List published on Monday.
Ronaldo usurped Beckham at the top of the list following the retirement of the latter from the sport. The Real Madrid star has jumped into the top of the table £122 million a tad more than Lionel Messi (£120.5) million, who comes in second in the list.
Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi are expectedly the two richest footballers in the world
A little surprisingly, Samuel Eto'o features third in the Goal Rich List, with earnings of £70 million, thanks largely to the lucrative €20 million (£16.5 million) a year contract he enjoyed for two years with Russian side Anzhi Makhachkala.
Eto'o signed a one-year contract with Chelsea after leaving Anzhi last summer, and is still on a considerably high salary.
Following Eto'o is Wayne Rooney, who recently became the highest paid footballer in the English Premier League after signing a five-and-a-half year contract with Manchester United worth around £300,000 a week.
According to the list, Rooney's, earnings, after taking sponsorship money also into consideration, as is the case with all the players, amounts to a sweet £69 million. Incidentally, Rooney is the only British player in the top ten list.
Kaka might look like a spent force more often than not on the field nowadays, but the Brazil great is still worth £67.5 million, with compatriot Neymar (£66 million) coming sixth in the list, while another Brazilian Ronaldinho (£64 million) is seventh.
The three Brazilians are followed by Sweden and PSG striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic, who has been in brilliant form on the field this season, with the outspoken and always entertaining forward worth £57 million.
Italy and Juventus goalkeeper Gianluigi Buffon (£52 million) comes in ninth, with Arsenal legend Thierry Henry, currently plying his trade with the New York Red Bulls in the MLS, rounding off the top ten with £47 million.
For a detailed list, click the link HERE.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Calls Out On Floyd Mayweather Jr. Again After Unbeaten Boxer Mocks Him With His KO Video
- NFL Thanksgiving Games: Chicago Vs. Detroit, Philadelphia Vs. Dallas, And Seattle Vs. San Francisco Live Streaming Info and Preview
- 2014 NFL Thanksgiving Games Results: Detroit Lions, Philadelphia Eagles, Seattle Seahawks Notch All-Important Wins With Major Postseason Implications
- Derrick Rose Is Lying About His Health Says ESPN Analyst Stephen A. Smith
- Andy Murray, Ana Ivanovic, And Other Tennis Stars Arrive In Manila For The IPTL; Murray Meets Manny Pacquiao
- Revealed: Vladimir Putin Plotting To Invade Europe – Report
- Australian and Other Select Earth Locations Hold Proofs Life Once Existed On Mars – Report
- Samsung Galaxy S6 Will Shatter Records with 64-Bit Snapdragon, 21MP Camera and Bendable Design
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Best Buy,Target And Amazon Offer Huge Discounts On Tablets Like iPad Air 2, Shield Tablet, Surface Pro 3 And More