Aircrafts That Never Reached Their Destination Like Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | March 10, 2014 9:00 PM EST
The world has gone on a standstill after Flight MH370 from Malaysia Airlines has mysteriously disappeared. The reason behind the disappearance of the flight is yet to be unmasked as authorities continue to explore possibilities. There have been revelations like traveling with stolen passports in the flight. The possibility of a crash is not dismissed either as the Vietnamese Navy discovered an oil slick which was 12-mile long.
The last words heard from the missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 is revealed but the theory that there is an ongoing secret official negotiation with hijackers is gaining notice.
Update on March 24, 2014: Flight MH370 'crashed in south Indian Ocean' - Malaysia PM
This is not the first time an airplane vanished without a trace. Here are some of them.
Amelia Earhart was the first female aviator who flew solo across the Atlantic Ocean. However, she mysteriously disappeared while she was flying in Lockheed Electra on July 2, 1937. Fred Noonan, her navigator, was with her when she disappeared. Most people believe that she crashed into the sea after running out of fuel. However, according to conspiracy theorists, Ms Earhart was captured by the Japanese as she was a spy working for Franklin D Roosevelt.
Glenn Miller's Air Force Plane
Legendary musician Glenn Miller disappeared over the English Channel in 1944. He, with the U.S. Army Air Force Band, gave a number of performances for Allied forces in England. He was scheduled to go to Paris the next day as he was to play for French servicemen. However, it remains to be a mystery how he disappeared, but,according to Bild reporter Udo Ulfkotte, Miller died when he had a heart attack in a brothel in Paris.
Six people disappeared on Dec 5, 1945 and that was beginning of the Bermuda Triangle legend. Five Navy Avenger flights which took off from Florida's Fort Lauderdale, were led by seasoned Charles Taylor. Within a couple of hours, pilots started complaining that they failed to recognise any landmark beneath them. Taylor reported that the compasses were not working. Eventually, 14 men were killed. When another flight was sent to search for them, it disappeared too.
Flying Tiger Line Flight 739
It disappeared in 1962, and there is no trace of the flight yet. The flight was scheduled to carry 90 military men to Clark Air Force Base in the Philippines, but it never reached its destination. Even after an intense search programme involving over 1,300 people, there was no trace.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS