Putin's Propaganda: Russian Soldiers Dressing up as Ukrainian Army
By Johnlee Varghese | March 10, 2014 8:52 PM EST
A video involving a Ukrainian army sergeant, who came in support of the Russian invasion of Crimea, has gone viral on YouTube. However, now it is emerging that the army sergeant may have been an impostor, and in all probability a Russian soldier.
Russian Soldiers dressing up as Ukrainian Army
In the video, a guy in a military uniform, calling himself a Ukrainian army sergeant, claims that the Ukrainian forces are in face working alongside the Russian troops and there has been no pressure from the Russian soldiers.
The fake Ukrainian army sergeant further claims in the video that the nationalist television is spreading lies about the Crimea issue, and in fact there has been no provocation, as the people are working together with the Russian forces voluntarily. The video, which was posted on 8 March, has gone viral and has over a million views till now.
Ukrainian Defense Ministry, however, quickly came down on the self-titled "sergeant". It is now being established that the video is the handy work of "pro-Russian radicals."
A website, Stopfake.org, dedicated towards stopping false information and Russian propaganda claimed that the so-called Ukrainian "sergeant" is holding, an automatic AK-100 series gun and is something not used by the Ukrainian army. In fact, the machine gun is used by the following countries: Venezuela, Russia, Armenia, India, Indonesia and Kazakhstan.
Recently, Molly K McKew and Gregory A Maniatis, independent consultants who advise governments, told the Washington Post that Vladimir Putin was indulging in a 21 century warfare that involved Soldiers-of-no-nation and cyberattacks that will weaken the morale and increase the confusion in Ukraine.
The article stated that by using soldiers-of-no-nation for troublemaking and street-fighting, Putin remains unconstrained by the laws, rules and conventions governing warfare. The forces in Ukraine has Putin's hybrid of soldiers and terrorists: hidden faces, hidden command-and-control, hidden orders but undoubtedly activated to achieve state objectives.
Similarly he is resorting to cyber-tactics to interrupt the flow of information and add chaos.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 2014 Meteor Shower: Where to Watch Delta Aquarids July 28-29 Peak Online, NASA Cameras Spotted Start of Perseid Meteor Shower
- Viral Wedding Photo: Amy Hicks Reveals True Story behind Viral Photo that Created Trending Hashtag on Twitter #westillcoming
- Six-Year-Old Canada girl Dies after Hit by Sedan in Crowded Store
- New Zealand-Born IDF Soldier Killed in Gaza Attack Amid Ceasefire Promises
- Volunteer Teen Rapes Orphans during Mission Trip
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]