Putin's Propaganda: Russian Soldiers Dressing up as Ukrainian Army
By Johnlee Varghese | March 10, 2014 8:52 PM EST
A video involving a Ukrainian army sergeant, who came in support of the Russian invasion of Crimea, has gone viral on YouTube. However, now it is emerging that the army sergeant may have been an impostor, and in all probability a Russian soldier.
Russian Soldiers dressing up as Ukrainian Army
In the video, a guy in a military uniform, calling himself a Ukrainian army sergeant, claims that the Ukrainian forces are in face working alongside the Russian troops and there has been no pressure from the Russian soldiers.
The fake Ukrainian army sergeant further claims in the video that the nationalist television is spreading lies about the Crimea issue, and in fact there has been no provocation, as the people are working together with the Russian forces voluntarily. The video, which was posted on 8 March, has gone viral and has over a million views till now.
Ukrainian Defense Ministry, however, quickly came down on the self-titled "sergeant". It is now being established that the video is the handy work of "pro-Russian radicals."
A website, Stopfake.org, dedicated towards stopping false information and Russian propaganda claimed that the so-called Ukrainian "sergeant" is holding, an automatic AK-100 series gun and is something not used by the Ukrainian army. In fact, the machine gun is used by the following countries: Venezuela, Russia, Armenia, India, Indonesia and Kazakhstan.
Recently, Molly K McKew and Gregory A Maniatis, independent consultants who advise governments, told the Washington Post that Vladimir Putin was indulging in a 21 century warfare that involved Soldiers-of-no-nation and cyberattacks that will weaken the morale and increase the confusion in Ukraine.
The article stated that by using soldiers-of-no-nation for troublemaking and street-fighting, Putin remains unconstrained by the laws, rules and conventions governing warfare. The forces in Ukraine has Putin's hybrid of soldiers and terrorists: hidden faces, hidden command-and-control, hidden orders but undoubtedly activated to achieve state objectives.
Similarly he is resorting to cyber-tactics to interrupt the flow of information and add chaos.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Spotted All Smiles, Sickness Seems Over
- 2014 Meteor Shower: Slooh To Have Live Broadcast Of Orionids Meteor Shower October 21 Peak, NASA Assures Ideal Observing Conditions
- Kate Middleton To Give Birth To A 'Cheerful' Baby, Duchess Not Carrying Twins---Report
- 63-Year-Old Admits He Has Made Love To More Than 700 Cars But Now Remains Faithful To Just One Beetle
- Top Fake News Websites - Be Aware Or Beware
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu