Northern California Earthquake: Massive 6.9 Magnitude Earthquake, 15 Aftershocks Raise Panic near Eureka
By Gopi Chandra Kharel | March 10, 2014 8:43 PM EST
A powerful 6.9 magnitude earthquake jostled the coast of Northern California late Sunday, the US Geological Survey has reported.
USGS screen shot
This USGS map screen shot shows a powerful 6.9 magnitude earthquake jostled the coast of Northern California late Sunday followed by at least 15 aftershocks.
The effects of the massive earthquake were felt as long and slow by residents from San Francisco to southern Oregon, Los Angeles Times has said.
The temblor struck at 9:18 pm PDT and was centered 50 miles west of Eureka. The epicenter lied four miles beneath the pacific seabed, the US Geological Survey has said.
The USGS earthquake map indicates that the earthquake was followed by at least 15 other aftershocks at the time of writing this article. One of the aftershocks had a 4.6 magnitude.
There were no reports of any damages or injuries, although there were reports saying that the quake was felt widely and strongly.
Reports suggest that the quake lasted for as long as 20 seconds. LA times quoted Raquel Maytorena, 52, who lives about a mile from the coast in Ferndale near Eureka as saying, "It just kept going and going, very slowly and softly. It was not violent, It almost felt like you were in a boat that was rocking."
The quake was classified as "light to moderate," by USGS.
The area is considered seismically active and there have been similar-sized quakes in the area regularly.
A 6.5 magnitude hit the same area in 2010.
In 1964, an 8.8 magnitude earthquake in Alsaka caused catastrophic damage on the North Coast.
(Edited by Anu James)
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Virus Might Reach Australia in Months; Health Dept Says Australia Prepared For Outbreak
- Woman, 40, Charged after Six Baby Corpses Found in Canada U-Haul Locker
- ISIS Educates Young Children in 'School of Jihad,' Deploys Them in Active Combat After Graduation [VIDEO]
- Seven Weird Things Banned by Governments
- Six English Words Which Originated From Arabic
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports