Northern California Earthquake: Massive 6.9 Magnitude Earthquake, 15 Aftershocks Raise Panic near Eureka
By Gopi Chandra Kharel | March 10, 2014 8:43 PM EST
A powerful 6.9 magnitude earthquake jostled the coast of Northern California late Sunday, the US Geological Survey has reported.
USGS screen shot
This USGS map screen shot shows a powerful 6.9 magnitude earthquake jostled the coast of Northern California late Sunday followed by at least 15 aftershocks.
The effects of the massive earthquake were felt as long and slow by residents from San Francisco to southern Oregon, Los Angeles Times has said.
The temblor struck at 9:18 pm PDT and was centered 50 miles west of Eureka. The epicenter lied four miles beneath the pacific seabed, the US Geological Survey has said.
The USGS earthquake map indicates that the earthquake was followed by at least 15 other aftershocks at the time of writing this article. One of the aftershocks had a 4.6 magnitude.
There were no reports of any damages or injuries, although there were reports saying that the quake was felt widely and strongly.
Reports suggest that the quake lasted for as long as 20 seconds. LA times quoted Raquel Maytorena, 52, who lives about a mile from the coast in Ferndale near Eureka as saying, "It just kept going and going, very slowly and softly. It was not violent, It almost felt like you were in a boat that was rocking."
The quake was classified as "light to moderate," by USGS.
The area is considered seismically active and there have been similar-sized quakes in the area regularly.
A 6.5 magnitude hit the same area in 2010.
In 1964, an 8.8 magnitude earthquake in Alsaka caused catastrophic damage on the North Coast.
(Edited by Anu James)
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
- What Happens When You Give Up Sex For 12 Months? – Dialogue With Peter Lynagh – Exclusive
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Female Tennis Athletes [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Surge in UFO Sightings in Queensland Observed; Gold Coast 'Hot Spot' of UFO Encounters
- Court Grants Indian Man Divorce Over Wife’s Insatiable Sex Demands
- ISIS Beheading Video of Steven Sotloff Sparks Outrage; Family Believes Footage is 'Authentic'
- ISIS Threat: Australia Terror Alert Level at 'Medium' as Saudi King Warns of Attacks in Europe in a Month
- Jennifer Lawrence Nude Photos Leak Raises Doubts on Apple's iCloud; How to Secure Apple ID
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display