Northern California Earthquake: Massive 6.9 Magnitude Earthquake, 15 Aftershocks Raise Panic near Eureka
By Gopi Chandra Kharel | March 10, 2014 8:43 PM EST
A powerful 6.9 magnitude earthquake jostled the coast of Northern California late Sunday, the US Geological Survey has reported.
USGS screen shot
This USGS map screen shot shows a powerful 6.9 magnitude earthquake jostled the coast of Northern California late Sunday followed by at least 15 aftershocks.
The effects of the massive earthquake were felt as long and slow by residents from San Francisco to southern Oregon, Los Angeles Times has said.
The temblor struck at 9:18 pm PDT and was centered 50 miles west of Eureka. The epicenter lied four miles beneath the pacific seabed, the US Geological Survey has said.
The USGS earthquake map indicates that the earthquake was followed by at least 15 other aftershocks at the time of writing this article. One of the aftershocks had a 4.6 magnitude.
There were no reports of any damages or injuries, although there were reports saying that the quake was felt widely and strongly.
Reports suggest that the quake lasted for as long as 20 seconds. LA times quoted Raquel Maytorena, 52, who lives about a mile from the coast in Ferndale near Eureka as saying, "It just kept going and going, very slowly and softly. It was not violent, It almost felt like you were in a boat that was rocking."
The quake was classified as "light to moderate," by USGS.
The area is considered seismically active and there have been similar-sized quakes in the area regularly.
A 6.5 magnitude hit the same area in 2010.
In 1964, an 8.8 magnitude earthquake in Alsaka caused catastrophic damage on the North Coast.
(Edited by Anu James)
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy:Camilla And Princess Eugenie Reportedly Jealous, Claimed Duchess Only Good At Making Babies
- Pregnant Kate Middleton Wants To Have A Big Family With ‘Five Children’ At Anmer Hall Residence- Reports
- ISIS European Teen Jihadists Allegedly Pregnant; New Zealand Silent On Kiwi Jihadist's Request To Return Home
- New Zealand Scientists Dissect Well-Preserved Female Colossal Squid [VIDEO]
- This Model Thinks She Is A Bombshell After Plastic Surgery Costing £30,000 Makes Her Look Like A Sex Toy
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet
- Spice Dream Uno vs Xiaomi Redmi 1S: Android One Smartphone to Challenge The Existing Budget Friendly Smartphone