Djokovic’s 550th Career Win Takes Him to Round Three at Indian Wells
By Shruthi SU | March 10, 2014 7:20 PM EST
World no. 2 Novak Djokovic picked up the 550th win of his career after beating Romanian Victor Hanescu 7-6 (1), 6-2 at the Indian Wells ATP Masters on Sunday night.
Djokovic, a two-time Indian Wells champion, is sixth in the list of most wins recorded in a career behind Roger Federer , Rafael Nadal , Lleyton Hewitt , David Ferrer  and Tommy Haas .
To get to his 550th win, Djokovic had to fight through a tough first set and the player himself later admitted there was a lot of room for improvement.
"I didn't make any returns in the first set," Djokovic said. "Second set I also struggled with the return, which is one of my better sides in the game generally speaking.
"It was one of those days where you get to serve well and everything else is just kind of trying to find the way to play the right shots at the right time."
Djokovic's third round battle will be against Indian Wells debutant Alejandro Gonzalez who beat no. 31 seed Ivan Dodig 6-4, 2-6, 7-6 (5).
Looking for his 200th career win, Frenchman and world no. 10 Jo-Wilfried Tsonga failed against compatriot Julien Benneteau 6-4. 6-4. Benneteau will next face 20-year old Austrian Dominic Thiem who bounced world no. 23 Gilles Simon 7-6 (5), 6-2.
Meanwhile, Spain's Roberto Bautista Agut ousted fourth-seed Tomas Berdych 4-6, 6-2, 6-4 to achieve his third career win over a world top 10 player.
"I played unbelievable," Bautista said. "I was not serving very well, and I had to play my best tennis from the baseline to win the match."
Twentieth seed Ernests Gulbis beat Portugal's Joao Sousa 6-3, 6-3 while Grigor Dimitrov advanced to the third round after a straight-set victory over Dutchman Robin Haase. Gulbis and Dimitrov will face each other in the third round - facing-off for the third time in four weeks.
In women's singles, France's Alize Cornet was victorious after being on court for three hours and 26 minutes making it the second-longest match of the year. She beat Spain's Carla Suarez Navarro 6-7 (4), 7-5, 6-3.
"I don't know how I won this match," Cornet said. "The good thing when you are tired is you don't ask too many questions, you just hit the ball," she said. "That's better for me."
Cornet will next face world no. 3 Agnieszka Radwanska, who eased past German Annika Beck 6-0, 6-0.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
Join the Conversation
- Boxing News: Pacquiao And Mayweather Might Meet 'In The First Six Months Of Next Year' - Bob Arum
- Boxing News 2014: Pacquiao Considers Ditching Jessica Sanchez To Sing Philippine National Anthem In Favour Of Born-Again Pastors; Stallone & Schwarzenegger to Watch Bout
- Michael Phelps' Lover Reveals She Was Born Intersex In Lengthy Facebook Post
- 2014 Davis Cup Final: Switzerland Vs. France - Roger Federer Vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Michael Schumacher Update: Rep Responds To Streiff’s Comments—‘He’s Neither A Friend Nor Has He Ever Visited Him’
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports