Rajinikanth's 'Kochadaiiyaan' to Get Screened in Cannes Film Festival?
By sangeetha seshagiri | March 10, 2014 6:02 PM EST
Superstar Rajinikanth's upcoming film "Kochadaiiyaan" might be screened in the Cannes Film Festival in France this year.
Rajinikanth in a dual role in "Kochadaiiyaan" (Credit: Soundarya Ashwin/Twitter)
The 67th annual Cannes Film Festival, an annual event, will kick off from 14 May 2014. India's presence at the prestigious film festival has been getting bigger and bigger every year.
In 2013, a galaxy of Indian film stars and several Indian films made their way to the film festival. The first look of Rajinikanth's "Kochadaiiyaan" was also expected to be screened at the festival. However, it did not materialise as the post-production work delayed the process.
Now that the film is complete, director Soundarya and the film's makers are reportedly planning to send the film for special screening in Cannes.
"Kochadaiiyaan" is slated to hit the screens on 11 April. The historic drama will be releasing in six Indian languages including Tamil, Telugu, Hindi, Marathi, Bhojpuri and Punjabi. However, the makers are planning the film's international release post the screening in the Cannes film festival, according to a report in The Times of India. The Rajini starrer might also be dubbed in foreign languages including French, German, Spanish and Japanese.
Meanwhile, "Kochadaiiyaan" audio and trailer was launched on Sunday (9 March) in a grand event that witnessed the presence of big stars like Rajinikanth, Shah Rukh Khan, Deepika Padukone, Sarathkumar, Jackie Shroff and Dhanush among others. Directors Balachander, Shankar and SP Muthuraman, lyricist Vairamuthu, Shobana, Resul Pookutty and music composer AR Rahman also graced the occasion.
Fans gather in large numbers to get a glimpse of the superstar. Every time thalaivar's name was taken, cheers filled the auditorium at the audio launch event.
Post the audio launch function, a press meet was held, wherein the producers announced that the film will be censored shortly and they are targeting the Tamil New Year weekend.
Speaking to the media, director Soundarya said, "Rajinikanth will be seen in three different avatars in the film - Kochadaiiyaan, Rana and Sena. We've struggled hard to complete the film and it took us nearly two years. I hope you'll appreciate our attempts," according to TOI.
Deepika will play the role of princess Vadhanan Devi, while Aadhi, Jackie Shroff, Nassar and Shobana will be appearing in pivotal roles.
"Kochadaiiyaan," made on a budget of ₹125 crore, is produced by Eros International and Media One Global Entertainment.
(Edited by Anu James)
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- 9/11 Dust Cloud Most Likely Have Created Pregnancy Issues: Celebrities Who Posed Nude During Pregnancy
Join the Conversation
- ‘Star Wars: Episode VII’: Han Solo's Super Star Destroyer, Costumes And Weapons
- ‘The Big Bang Theory’: Top 5 Revelations Of Season 8
- 'NCIS' Season 12 Spoilers: Ziva David Out, Tony's New Love Could be Stephanie Jacobsen's Leia; Troian Bellisario Teases 'Reunion' Photo
- 'X-Men: Apocalypse' : Wolverine's Costume's Leaked Image Hints to Traditional Look, Hugh Jackman to Play the Character Till Scripts Excite Him
- ‘Star Wars: Episode VII’: Tatooine Set Leaked, Reveals Tusken Raiders Huts
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- iPhone 6 Release Date Remains On Course for Sept-Oct 2014 as Apple Delays iWatch Debut to 2015
- Nexus 6 Release Date Dilemma with Motorola Shamu Details Pointing to Better Smartphone and Killer Features