Rajinikanth's 'Kochadaiiyaan' to Get Screened in Cannes Film Festival?
By sangeetha seshagiri | March 10, 2014 6:02 PM EST
Superstar Rajinikanth's upcoming film "Kochadaiiyaan" might be screened in the Cannes Film Festival in France this year.
Rajinikanth in a dual role in "Kochadaiiyaan" (Credit: Soundarya Ashwin/Twitter)
The 67th annual Cannes Film Festival, an annual event, will kick off from 14 May 2014. India's presence at the prestigious film festival has been getting bigger and bigger every year.
In 2013, a galaxy of Indian film stars and several Indian films made their way to the film festival. The first look of Rajinikanth's "Kochadaiiyaan" was also expected to be screened at the festival. However, it did not materialise as the post-production work delayed the process.
Now that the film is complete, director Soundarya and the film's makers are reportedly planning to send the film for special screening in Cannes.
"Kochadaiiyaan" is slated to hit the screens on 11 April. The historic drama will be releasing in six Indian languages including Tamil, Telugu, Hindi, Marathi, Bhojpuri and Punjabi. However, the makers are planning the film's international release post the screening in the Cannes film festival, according to a report in The Times of India. The Rajini starrer might also be dubbed in foreign languages including French, German, Spanish and Japanese.
Meanwhile, "Kochadaiiyaan" audio and trailer was launched on Sunday (9 March) in a grand event that witnessed the presence of big stars like Rajinikanth, Shah Rukh Khan, Deepika Padukone, Sarathkumar, Jackie Shroff and Dhanush among others. Directors Balachander, Shankar and SP Muthuraman, lyricist Vairamuthu, Shobana, Resul Pookutty and music composer AR Rahman also graced the occasion.
Fans gather in large numbers to get a glimpse of the superstar. Every time thalaivar's name was taken, cheers filled the auditorium at the audio launch event.
Post the audio launch function, a press meet was held, wherein the producers announced that the film will be censored shortly and they are targeting the Tamil New Year weekend.
Speaking to the media, director Soundarya said, "Rajinikanth will be seen in three different avatars in the film - Kochadaiiyaan, Rana and Sena. We've struggled hard to complete the film and it took us nearly two years. I hope you'll appreciate our attempts," according to TOI.
Deepika will play the role of princess Vadhanan Devi, while Aadhi, Jackie Shroff, Nassar and Shobana will be appearing in pivotal roles.
"Kochadaiiyaan," made on a budget of ₹125 crore, is produced by Eros International and Media One Global Entertainment.
(Edited by Anu James)
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- 'Star Wars 7'—5 Villains To Feature In The Movie, According To Reported Leaks [Spoilers]
- Rihanna Nude Photos Leaked – The Fappening 2: Second Wave Of Celebrities Nude Pictures Leak on 4chan And Reddit
- 'Castle' Season 7 Spoilers: Stana Katic's Kate Beckett, NYPD To Discover The Real Rick Castle
- 'Under The Dome' Season 2 Finale Spoilers: An Exit Route Appears But Not Everyone Gets Out Alive, 'Under The Dome' Season 3 Update [VIDEO]
- Bruce Jenner Sex Change Reports Resurface As He Shaves His Leg, Behaves Feminine Inside A Coffee Shop
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Galaxy Note 4 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Better Performing Display and Best Overall Screen
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Samsung Galaxy S5: Battle of the Samsung Flagship Smartphones
- Apple iPad Air 2, OS X Yosemite Release Date Set For October, While iPad Mini 3 With Retina Headed For 2015 Release
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Purported Xiaomi Redmi Note Successor Powered With Monstrous Processor Under Wraps, Will Take On Meizu MX4