Rajinikanth's 'Kochadaiiyaan' to Get Screened in Cannes Film Festival?
By sangeetha seshagiri | March 10, 2014 6:02 PM EST
Superstar Rajinikanth's upcoming film "Kochadaiiyaan" might be screened in the Cannes Film Festival in France this year.
Rajinikanth in a dual role in "Kochadaiiyaan" (Credit: Soundarya Ashwin/Twitter)
The 67th annual Cannes Film Festival, an annual event, will kick off from 14 May 2014. India's presence at the prestigious film festival has been getting bigger and bigger every year.
In 2013, a galaxy of Indian film stars and several Indian films made their way to the film festival. The first look of Rajinikanth's "Kochadaiiyaan" was also expected to be screened at the festival. However, it did not materialise as the post-production work delayed the process.
Now that the film is complete, director Soundarya and the film's makers are reportedly planning to send the film for special screening in Cannes.
"Kochadaiiyaan" is slated to hit the screens on 11 April. The historic drama will be releasing in six Indian languages including Tamil, Telugu, Hindi, Marathi, Bhojpuri and Punjabi. However, the makers are planning the film's international release post the screening in the Cannes film festival, according to a report in The Times of India. The Rajini starrer might also be dubbed in foreign languages including French, German, Spanish and Japanese.
Meanwhile, "Kochadaiiyaan" audio and trailer was launched on Sunday (9 March) in a grand event that witnessed the presence of big stars like Rajinikanth, Shah Rukh Khan, Deepika Padukone, Sarathkumar, Jackie Shroff and Dhanush among others. Directors Balachander, Shankar and SP Muthuraman, lyricist Vairamuthu, Shobana, Resul Pookutty and music composer AR Rahman also graced the occasion.
Fans gather in large numbers to get a glimpse of the superstar. Every time thalaivar's name was taken, cheers filled the auditorium at the audio launch event.
Post the audio launch function, a press meet was held, wherein the producers announced that the film will be censored shortly and they are targeting the Tamil New Year weekend.
Speaking to the media, director Soundarya said, "Rajinikanth will be seen in three different avatars in the film - Kochadaiiyaan, Rana and Sena. We've struggled hard to complete the film and it took us nearly two years. I hope you'll appreciate our attempts," according to TOI.
Deepika will play the role of princess Vadhanan Devi, while Aadhi, Jackie Shroff, Nassar and Shobana will be appearing in pivotal roles.
"Kochadaiiyaan," made on a budget of ₹125 crore, is produced by Eros International and Media One Global Entertainment.
(Edited by Anu James)
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Camilla Parker-Bowles To Become Queen When Prince Charles Accedes To The Throne
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 2 Major Spoilers, Air Date: Where To Watch Online, Live Stream ‘Strangers’
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Winner is Marlisa Punzalan; Dean Ray Finishes as Runner-Up [VIDEOS]
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Grand Final Sing-Off: Marlisa Punzalan, Dean Ray and Brothers 3 [VIDEOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Promo, Spoilers: Find Out What Happens In ‘Four Walls And A Roof’
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Housemate Lawson Chooses Cat Over GF, Kisses Cat in Bed [VIDEO]
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage