Arsenal Transfer News: Agent Claims Wenger Contact over Italian International Midfielder
By Deepak Vikraman | March 10, 2014 5:46 PM EST
Arsenal reportedly made contact over the potential availability of AC Milan midfielder Riccardo Montolivo, according to the player's agent.
The Gunners were in the market for a midfielder in the January transfer window, with Arsene Wenger eventually landing Kim Kallstrom from Spartak Moscow on loan for the rest of the season.
That move has been criticised, however, with the Swedish international yet to make a single appearance for Arsenal so far due to a back injury.
Montolivo moved from Fiorentina to AC Milan in 2012 and was heralded as the heir apparent to the incomparable Andrea Pirlo.
With Milan struggling in the Serie A, and facing an uphill battle to get past Atletico Madrid in the Champions League, reports have suggested some of the players could move on in the summer.
According to Montolivo's agent Giovanni Branchini, the player received interest, not only from Arsenal, but also Borussia Dortmund and Atletico.
Branchini, though, played down the chances of his client leaving, insisting Montolivo was settled in Milan.
"Milan have had a difficult season so far and I think I can say that Riccardo Montolivo has been one of the brightest notes," Branchini told Calciomercato.
"He became a fixture of the Rossoneri and was even given the captain's armband as proof. He is very happy with the club to which he belongs, and the club and fans are very satisfied with him.
"An extension? He has a contract until June 2016, so it is not a priority to talk about an extension at this time. That's a discussion we'll have, I think, next year.
"Has there been interest from other clubs? There have been tentative enquiries from Atletico Madrid, [Dortmund manager Jurgen] Klopp and Arsenal, to name a few.
"All were trying to ascertain whether Montolivo was available. At the moment, however, I feel it would be very difficult for the player to leave Milan, precisely because of what I said before."
Arsenal are expected to be busy in the summer, but a midfielder is not thought to be one of Wenger's priorities at the moment, with a potent striker with pace clearly being the need of the hour.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Freddie Roach Provoking ‘Washed-Up’ Floyd Mayweather Jr., Says Manny Pacquiao Will KO Undefeated American
- Sharapova, Halep, Ivanovic, Wozniacki, Kvitova, Radwanska, Kerber Make Early Commitment To Stuttgart Open
- ‘Floyd Rhymes With Avoid,’ Says Manny Pacquiao
- 2014 Dancing With The Stars Australia: Former AFL Star David Rodan Declared Winner
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid