Pope Francis Did Not Endorse Gay Unions, Only Wants to Know Why They are Gaining Popularity, Nothing More – New York Cardinal Dolan
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | March 10, 2014 4:51 PM EST
That Pope Francis expressed a desire to study gay unions should not be misconstrued that the Roman Catholic supreme pontiff had approved of it, Timothy Dolan, archbishop of New York, said over the weekend.
Pope Francis (C) attends a ret
Pope Francis (C) attends a retreat with cardinals and bishops in Ariccia, near Rome March 9, 2014. Pope Francis left the Vatican on Sunday ahead of the first anniversary of his papacy, which he will pass with the Roman Curia on a Lenten spiritual retreat held outside the city state for the first time in decades. REUTERS/Osservatore Romano
In an interview with Italian daily Corriere della Sera published Wednesday, Pope Francis was quoted to have said that the rise of gay unions provoke him to take a "necessary look at the diverse cases and evaluate them in their variety."
Cardinal Dolan, however, implied it really boiled down to how media wants to interpret the religious leader's statement.
"If I saw the reports accurately, he didn't come right out and say he was for them," he said in an interview with David Gregory of NBC's "Meet the Press." "Once again, in an extraordinarily sincere, open, nuanced way, he said, 'I know that some people in some states have chosen this. We need to think about that and look into it and see the reasons that have driven them.'"
Pope Francis, Cardinal Dolan said, wants to know what makes gay unions appealable.
"Rather than quickly condemn" civil unions, Cardinal Dolan believed the pope wants his questions answered "as to why that has appealed to certain people."
"Marriage is the building block of society and culture ... it is between one man and one woman forever leading to life and love, that's not something that's just a religious, sacramental concern...," the Roman Catholic cardinal from New York said.
"If we water down that sacred meaning of marriage in any way, I worry that not only the church would suffer, I worry that culture and society would," he said.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date