Pope Francis Did Not Endorse Gay Unions, Only Wants to Know Why They are Gaining Popularity, Nothing More – New York Cardinal Dolan
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | March 10, 2014 4:51 PM EST
That Pope Francis expressed a desire to study gay unions should not be misconstrued that the Roman Catholic supreme pontiff had approved of it, Timothy Dolan, archbishop of New York, said over the weekend.
Pope Francis (C) attends a ret
Pope Francis (C) attends a retreat with cardinals and bishops in Ariccia, near Rome March 9, 2014. Pope Francis left the Vatican on Sunday ahead of the first anniversary of his papacy, which he will pass with the Roman Curia on a Lenten spiritual retreat held outside the city state for the first time in decades. REUTERS/Osservatore Romano
In an interview with Italian daily Corriere della Sera published Wednesday, Pope Francis was quoted to have said that the rise of gay unions provoke him to take a "necessary look at the diverse cases and evaluate them in their variety."
Cardinal Dolan, however, implied it really boiled down to how media wants to interpret the religious leader's statement.
"If I saw the reports accurately, he didn't come right out and say he was for them," he said in an interview with David Gregory of NBC's "Meet the Press." "Once again, in an extraordinarily sincere, open, nuanced way, he said, 'I know that some people in some states have chosen this. We need to think about that and look into it and see the reasons that have driven them.'"
Pope Francis, Cardinal Dolan said, wants to know what makes gay unions appealable.
"Rather than quickly condemn" civil unions, Cardinal Dolan believed the pope wants his questions answered "as to why that has appealed to certain people."
"Marriage is the building block of society and culture ... it is between one man and one woman forever leading to life and love, that's not something that's just a religious, sacramental concern...," the Roman Catholic cardinal from New York said.
"If we water down that sacred meaning of marriage in any way, I worry that not only the church would suffer, I worry that culture and society would," he said.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- 16GB iPhone 6 for $99 at Sam’s Club is the Best 2014 Black Friday Deal Around