Save the Children Clip Showing Ill Effects Of Syrian War On Children Goes Viral [VIDEO]
By Anne Lu | March 10, 2014 4:44 PM EST
A harrowing short video showing what it would be like for a child if civil war came to the UK has gone viral. Produced by Save the Children organisation, the video has gone viral since it was release on Wednesday.
The 45-second video is part of the charity’s Save Syria’s Children campaign, and shows how a young girl’s life is destroyed in a span of one year after war has ravaged Britain.
Save the Children is inviting viewers to imagine “if Britain were Syria” with the clip.
It starts with the girl’s joyous birthday celebration, and ends with her birthday a year later, only this time in a much sadder setting.
At the beginning of the clip, the young girl happily blows out the candles on her cake. As the seconds progress, she is seen living the life of a typical, carefree child in the UK, riding her bike, playing with her friends, and eating sweets.
A few seconds more and the commotion in her background starts to manifest, with her parents panicking and preparing to leave. The electricity in their home is then cut off, and the girl is seen being rushed down the stairs, asking, “What’s happening?”
After a while, her dad is separated from her and her mother at a checkpoint, and they are taken to a hospital by soldiers.
The last scene shows her mother singing “happy birthday” to her, as she unenthusiastically just looks at the lone candle on a dish.
“Just because it isn’t happening here, doesn’t mean it isn’t happening,” the video’s text reads at the end.
“It may not be happening here but in Syria the horror portrayed in our latest video is all too real,” the organisation explained.
“Three years of civil war has devastated the lives of an entire generation of children. It’s cost the lives of more than 11,000 children and turned more than 1 million into refugees. It has subjected them to trauma, indiscriminate shelling and even torture.”
The video was released to commemorate the third anniversary of the conflict in the war-ravaged Syria, which began in March 2011. It currently has over 20.8 million views on YouTube.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Slow-Moving Yet Unrelenting Hawaii Lava Now Only Inches Away From Pahoa Homes
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Cavaliers, LeBron James Flop In First Game Back In Cleveland; New York Knicks, Melo Pull Off Road Upset, 95-90 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Video Showing Mentally Disabled African American Shot 46 Times By Eight Police Officers For Just Holding A Penknife
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Forced To Return To Royal Engagements, Feuding With The Queen Over Royal Duties---Report
- Google Loses Lawsuit Against Canadian Woman Over Breast Exposure
- Robbery Attempt in Sydney Bank, Armed Robbers on The Loose
- Father Spots A Bald Patch On The Lawn Outside His Girls' Bedroom And Gets Shocked At The Reason
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Dismantling Of Fukushima Reactor 1 Faces Delays, US Judge Gives Sailor Go Signal To Push Through Lawsuit Against TEPCO Over Radiation
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge To Be Available Through T-Mobile In The US
- Five Extreme Drop Tests On BlackBerry Passport Reveals Its Endurance [Watch Video]
- Updated iOS 8 Pangu Untethered Jailbreak Now Fully Works with Cydia: Key Fixes & Mods to Expect
- Ex-Ohio Trooper Pleads Guilty To Issuing Sex as Penalty To Women Motorists