Manchester United Transfer News: David Moyes Pondering Summer Bid for Arsenal Player
By Deepak Vikraman | March 10, 2014 3:48 PM EST
With Nemanja Vidic signing for Inter Milan from next season, Manchester United are going to need an accomplished centre-back at the heart of their defence; and the man reportedly interesting David Moyes is Arsenal skipper Thomas Vermaelen.
Thomas Vermaelen is a reported target for Manchester United
Vidic announced he would end his tremendously successful stay with United when his contract expires in the summer, with the Serbian rock then putting pen to paper on a multi-year deal with Italian giants Inter Milan.
With Rio Ferdinand also expected to leave the club at the end of the season, Moyes will be in desperate need of an experienced centre-back.
Vermaelen, who joined Arsenal in 2009 for around £10 million, has been very much on the periphery of Arsene Wenger's plans this season, with the centre-back partnership of Laurent Koscielny and Per Mertesacker blossoming.
The Belgian international, who did start in the 4-1 FA Cup quarterfinal win over Everton on Saturday, has affirmed his future to the North London club, but has also hinted on a couple of occasions he might be forced to make a move away to get regular first team action.
Knowing the situation well enough, United are ready to spring with a bid for Vermaelen, who has also been linked with a move to Italy, in the summer transfer window, according to The Sun.
Arsene Wenger will of course, be reluctant to sell his player, with the report suggesting Arsenal would demand at least £12 million for the 28-year-old, a pretty decent sum for a player of undoubted class, even if the defender has struggled of late.
Meanwhile, Phil Jones, who scored the opening goal in United's 3-0 win over West Brom on Saturday heaped praise on teammate Marouane Fellaini, who has come for much criticism since making his move from Everton last summer.
"Fellaini was terrific in breaking up the play and playing the ball forward," Jones told MUTV. "He showed why the manager brought him in and there's a lot more to come from him -- he's a quality player."
The Belgian midfielder has struggled to adapt to his role at United, after seeing much more at home with Everton, under Moyes. However, given a run of games, Fellaini might just be able to forge a decent midfield partnership alongside Michael Carrick.
"I enjoy playing with Michael," Fellaini said. "I know he'll sit back if I go to the edge of the box to try to score.
"Everyone is happy [with the win]. The team played well and that is good for confidence. We have to keep going like this in the next game."
Manchester United next face rivals Liverpool in the Premier League.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Freddie Roach Provoking ‘Washed-Up’ Floyd Mayweather Jr., Says Manny Pacquiao Will KO Undefeated American
- Sharapova, Halep, Ivanovic, Wozniacki, Kvitova, Radwanska, Kerber Make Early Commitment To Stuttgart Open
- ‘Floyd Rhymes With Avoid,’ Says Manny Pacquiao
- 2014 Dancing With The Stars Australia: Former AFL Star David Rodan Declared Winner
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments