Manchester United Transfer News: David Moyes Pondering Summer Bid for Arsenal Player
By Deepak Vikraman | March 10, 2014 3:48 PM EST
With Nemanja Vidic signing for Inter Milan from next season, Manchester United are going to need an accomplished centre-back at the heart of their defence; and the man reportedly interesting David Moyes is Arsenal skipper Thomas Vermaelen.
Thomas Vermaelen is a reported target for Manchester United
Vidic announced he would end his tremendously successful stay with United when his contract expires in the summer, with the Serbian rock then putting pen to paper on a multi-year deal with Italian giants Inter Milan.
With Rio Ferdinand also expected to leave the club at the end of the season, Moyes will be in desperate need of an experienced centre-back.
Vermaelen, who joined Arsenal in 2009 for around £10 million, has been very much on the periphery of Arsene Wenger's plans this season, with the centre-back partnership of Laurent Koscielny and Per Mertesacker blossoming.
The Belgian international, who did start in the 4-1 FA Cup quarterfinal win over Everton on Saturday, has affirmed his future to the North London club, but has also hinted on a couple of occasions he might be forced to make a move away to get regular first team action.
Knowing the situation well enough, United are ready to spring with a bid for Vermaelen, who has also been linked with a move to Italy, in the summer transfer window, according to The Sun.
Arsene Wenger will of course, be reluctant to sell his player, with the report suggesting Arsenal would demand at least £12 million for the 28-year-old, a pretty decent sum for a player of undoubted class, even if the defender has struggled of late.
Meanwhile, Phil Jones, who scored the opening goal in United's 3-0 win over West Brom on Saturday heaped praise on teammate Marouane Fellaini, who has come for much criticism since making his move from Everton last summer.
"Fellaini was terrific in breaking up the play and playing the ball forward," Jones told MUTV. "He showed why the manager brought him in and there's a lot more to come from him -- he's a quality player."
The Belgian midfielder has struggled to adapt to his role at United, after seeing much more at home with Everton, under Moyes. However, given a run of games, Fellaini might just be able to forge a decent midfield partnership alongside Michael Carrick.
"I enjoy playing with Michael," Fellaini said. "I know he'll sit back if I go to the edge of the box to try to score.
"Everyone is happy [with the win]. The team played well and that is good for confidence. We have to keep going like this in the next game."
Manchester United next face rivals Liverpool in the Premier League.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
- Miranda Kerr Broke Her Silence: Not Pregnant With James Packard’s Baby [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Trading Jeremy Lin Was A Huge Mistake For Houston Rockets
- Roger Federer Dedicates 80th Career Title For His Kids
- Arsenal FC: Wenger Satisfied Despite Coming Out with a Draw against Besiktas
- Manny Pacquiao To Gauge KO Power Against Chris Algieri
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Mehdi Benatia and Alex Song in the Mix as Wenger Looks to 'Strengthen Defensive Department'
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs iPhone 6: Why Forecasts Favor Mi4 as The Next Best Phone Against iPhone 6