Sensex, Nifty Flat after Hitting Record Highs
March 10, 2014 3:39 PM EST
The Sensex and the Nifty briefly hit record highs on Monday on the back of continued strong foreign buying in blue chips such as HDFC Bank.HDBK.NS, but were flat in trade soon afterwards on profit-taking and because of falls in regional shares.
A man walks past the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE) building in Mumbai on 5 December, 2013.
The Sensex all-time high of 22,005.54 points marked its third consecutive record high in as many sessions, while the Nifty hit a second consecutive milestone at 6,545.10 points.
Foreign investors posted on Friday their biggest daily purchases since 9 December, or a net 25.77 billion rupees. That marked a 16th consecutive buying session for a net total of about $1.4 billion.
However, both the Sensex and Nifty edged lower after hitting their respective record highs, tracking a slide in Asian shares on the back of disappointing Chinese trade data and uncertainty over the crisis in Ukraine.
Join the Conversation
- With Falling Oil Prices All Eyes On OPEC Meeting
- Plane Freezes in Russian Arctic, Passengers Push (WATCH VIDEO)
- This Is How Obesity Weighs Down Global Economy By 2 Trillion Dollars Every Year
- Consumer Alert: Retailer Simons Goes Out Of Quebec, To Open Five Stores Across Canada
- Signs That You Are A Smartphone Zombie (And The Dangers This Poses)
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft