Boxing News 2014: Justin Bieber to Take Career in Boxing? Floyd Mayweather Jr. Impressed by Singer’s Skills
By Lou Ramon Aguila | March 10, 2014 3:17 PM EST
Boxing's superstar Floyd Mayweather Jr. has some nice words for Canadian pop singer Justin Bieber, who is recently battling traffic and misdemeanor charges left and right. Money May admitted in a recent interview that he was impressed by Bieber's fundamental boxing skills, as even called him a solid boxer.
Singer Justin Bieber poses at the premiere of the documentary "Justin Bieber's Believe" in Los Angeles, California December 18, 2013. The documentary opens in the U.S. on December 25.
After his announcement of upcoming showdown with Argentine brawler Marcos Maidana, Mayweather sat out with a local radio station via Karceno of Boxing Socialist and tackled some issue on and off the squared circle. One of the topics talked about is Bieber's ability to box well.
Bieber, who accompanied Mayweather in some of his big matches against Robert Guerrero and Saul Canelo Alvarez in 2013, can execute his punches well on the mitts and even during sparring sessions, according to Money May.
"Actually, Justin Bieber texted me a video of him boxing before, sparring" Mayweather said about the first time he learned the singer has a little bit of boxing skills, " And he can box a little bit. I was surprised he can box a little bit. He has a fitness trainer, so he's getting a good shape now."
Mayweather even said that Bieber schooled him in a pickup basketball game at the singer's house a couple of days before the interview, beating him 188-182.
"I was just over Justin Bieber's house, I think a couple of days ago. He beat me in basketball but I let him. He won 188-182. He won fair and square, the guy is very very talented," Mayweather said in the interview.
Moreover, he added that he has been working with Bieber on other projects for quite some time such as the Money Machine and Filthy Rich records.
Fight With Maidana
Mayweather is convinced that he's in for a tough match with Maidana, who is coming off a sensational 12-round unanimous decision win over pound-for-pound rising star Adrien Broner in December.
Mayweather holds the WBC Welterweight title, while Maidana has the WBA welterweight title around his belt, making the match much more intriguing to watch.
Before Money May's decision to take on the brawler, Great Britain's Amir Khan was tapped as the favorite to win the Mayweather sweepstakes, but his unimpressive performance in the ring was enough reason for Money May's team to snub him in favor of Maidana.
For more Boxing News 2014 update, read more at IBT Sports
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
- Kate Middleton & Prince William Taking a Time Off in August Amidst Miscarriage & Adopting a Child Claims
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tasks Engineers to Create the Perfect Tennis Racquet [VIDEO]
- LeBron James and Cleveland Cavaliers the Team to Beat in the East – Paul George
- Roger Federer Forced to Take Down Children's Play Area on his Property in Valbella
- Chelsea FC Transfer News: Renewed Hope for Blues, as Paul Pogba's Agent Revealed that 'Anything is Possible'
- UFC 183: Anderson Silva vs. Nick Diaz Receives Mixed Reactions on Twitter
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- HTC One M8 Windows Phone to Launch for Verizon; Release Date, Price, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate for New Smartphone
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- Galaxy Note 4 Release Date Ahead of iPhone 6 Sept 2014 Debut; Specced-Up but Remains Plastic-Wrapped – Reports
- LG G2 Android 4.4.4 KitKat Guide: When to Hit Your Region and How to Install
- Update Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini with Android 4.4.2 KitKat
- LG G3 To Debut Moon Violet and Burgundy Red Shades in August; Upcoming LG Devices Roundup