Mars One Mission: Volunteers’ Real Stories and Their Decision to Leave Earth for Good
By Jenille Cristy Maido | March 10, 2014 3:15 PM EST
Would you die on Earth to live in Mars? More than 200,000 people applied for one-way expedition to live permanently in the red planet and leave the Earth for good. In a new interview filmed about five of prospective Martians, they share their reasons on their desire to start a new life, being a part of history, and the burden of leaving their loved ones for the sake of their dreams.
Cody Reeder, Casey Hunter, Will Robbins, Katelyn Kane, and Ken Sullivan are five applicants for "Mars One Way." They all came from different background, but shares one same desire, and that is to see what life in a different world could be.
Applicant Ken Sullivan feels the burden of whether to stay with his wife and child or to go to Mars. He shares that if his child would tell him not to go, that would might change his decision. Sullivan's wife, Becky, on the other hand cannot believe the idea that the trip is only one way, and her husband may not ever come back.
"I think it could be something I could do. I think I could leave." Cody Reeder, another applicant shares in the video. However, if his girlfriend would prevent him from going, he may let him think of his options.
While the mission of going to Mars may be subject of "holding on" and "letting go" for some of the volunteers, there are some who thinks that they have no important reasons to stay on Earth. William Robins is one of them, and he says that he is not leaving much behind, according to HNGN report.
Mars One is a non-profit organization with a goal to establish a human colony on the red planet. After several expeditions and explorations on Mars, human settlement is now possible using existing technologies. The search for volunteer astronauts began April 2013, the training is set in 2015, and the first group is announced to leave in 2024.
The mission is co-founded by Bas Lansdorp and Arno Wielders, space entrepreneurs from Netherlands where the Mars One is based. The team is composed of leaders from different parts of the world, working together for a feat to make Mars a habitable planet.
Would you be willing to take a one-way ticket to Mars?
*Video from YouTube/MarsOneProject
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Immediate Deaths After Ice Bucket Challenge Are Hoaxes Gone Viral: Neck Injury And Hypothermia Killed Two People Performing The Stunt
- Risky Selfies That Were Taken A Few Seconds Before Tragedy Struck
- ISIS Update: Executioner of James Foley with British Accent Identified as ‘John’
- Viral Video Missouri Mall: Back-To-School Promo Of East Hills Mall In Missouri Goes Viral As Terrible Mall Ad [WATCH VIDEO]
- ISIS Beheading US Journalist James Foley Sparks Outrage, Netizens Demand 'All-Out War'
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs iPhone 6: Why Forecasts Favor Mi4 as The Next Best Phone Against iPhone 6
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists