Mars One Mission: Volunteers’ Real Stories and Their Decision to Leave Earth for Good
By Jenille Cristy Maido | March 10, 2014 3:15 PM EST
Would you die on Earth to live in Mars? More than 200,000 people applied for one-way expedition to live permanently in the red planet and leave the Earth for good. In a new interview filmed about five of prospective Martians, they share their reasons on their desire to start a new life, being a part of history, and the burden of leaving their loved ones for the sake of their dreams.
Cody Reeder, Casey Hunter, Will Robbins, Katelyn Kane, and Ken Sullivan are five applicants for "Mars One Way." They all came from different background, but shares one same desire, and that is to see what life in a different world could be.
Applicant Ken Sullivan feels the burden of whether to stay with his wife and child or to go to Mars. He shares that if his child would tell him not to go, that would might change his decision. Sullivan's wife, Becky, on the other hand cannot believe the idea that the trip is only one way, and her husband may not ever come back.
"I think it could be something I could do. I think I could leave." Cody Reeder, another applicant shares in the video. However, if his girlfriend would prevent him from going, he may let him think of his options.
While the mission of going to Mars may be subject of "holding on" and "letting go" for some of the volunteers, there are some who thinks that they have no important reasons to stay on Earth. William Robins is one of them, and he says that he is not leaving much behind, according to HNGN report.
Mars One is a non-profit organization with a goal to establish a human colony on the red planet. After several expeditions and explorations on Mars, human settlement is now possible using existing technologies. The search for volunteer astronauts began April 2013, the training is set in 2015, and the first group is announced to leave in 2024.
The mission is co-founded by Bas Lansdorp and Arno Wielders, space entrepreneurs from Netherlands where the Mars One is based. The team is composed of leaders from different parts of the world, working together for a feat to make Mars a habitable planet.
Would you be willing to take a one-way ticket to Mars?
*Video from YouTube/MarsOneProject
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- US Police Release Video Of Officers Shooting 12-Year-Old Tamir Rice
- US Toddler, 3, Shoots Mother To Death With 9mm Handgun
- UFO Falling 'Angel Hair' Strands Spotted By Portugal Residents [VIDEO]
- Pregnant Kate Middleton Has 'Uncanny Ability,' Described As 'Posh' During Public Appearances
- NSW Girl, 12, Takes Wheel of Mazda MX5 & Saves Lives After Father Suffers Heart Attack
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast
- Walmart Canada Black Friday 2014 Ad For Nov. 28, 2014 Up To Dec. 1, 2014 Includes Savings On The iPad Mini 16GB And The Beats Solo HD Drenched Headphones