'Man of Steel 2' Ben Affleck as Batman: Michael Keaton Defends Casting Choice, Film Director Zack Snyder Still Deals with Fans' Backlash
By Jenalyn Villamarin | March 10, 2014 2:10 PM EST
The "Man of Steel 2" casting choice has been receiving criticisms but some have defended the actors portraying the characters like Kevin Spacey and Michael Rosenbaum who both agreed that "The Social Network" actor Jesse Eisenberg can portray the villain Lex Luthor. The latest to defend Ben Affleck being cast as Batman is another actor who portrayed the black-caped superhero, Michael Keaton.
Michael Keaton famously portrayed the role of Batman in the 1989 film "Batman" and "Batman Returns" in 1992. The 62-year-old actor appeared in the Today Show where he talked about Ben Affleck being part of the movie sequel as well as the criticisms on the casting choice.
In the Enstars report, Michael Keaton revealed during the interview that Ben Affleck is "going to be great" in the "Man of Steel 2." The actor further talked about the casting choice criticisms claiming that he does not understand why people object to Ben Affleck being cast as Batman.
Michael Keaton stated: "I don't follow it much, but I guess there was some sort of... I don't know why people get excited about things. Frankly, I don't understand it." It has been previously reported that actor Seth Green has slammed Ben Affleck for not being scary enough to portray Batman opposite British actor Henry Cavill who reprises his Superman role in the movie sequel.
"If this movie is meant to be the idealistic alien, humans-before-all-else Superman, and this is supposed to be the grizzled, weathered Batman who's been living in Gotham, fighting crime himself for 10 years, you need a guy who's older. You need a guy's who's got more weight, you need a guy that a Henry Cavill Superman is gonna be actually scared of," Seth Green explained last February.
Film director Zack Snyder does not understand as well why fans are against their decision to cast Ben Affleck as Batman, Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman and Jesse Eisenberg as Lex Luthor in the upcoming "Batman vs. Superman" flick. According to the HNGN report, the film director had a recent interview with Hero Complex where he continued to defend their casting choice.
Zack Snyder pointed out that they know the material so casting is based on what is happening in the movie script. "We're hoping that leads to enough originality, enough perspective on what we're doing that you get something fresh and exciting. I understand the canon," the director explained.
Mr Synder further added: "I know what these characters need from a mythological standpoint. I think Jesse is going to be an amazing Lex. Let's not forget he was nominated for an Academy Award. It's not like I just grabbed my friend to play the guy! This guy's the real deal. By the way, in looking at all the talk-back, you can get all different perspectives in there too. Some people are hating to hate. Some people - someone did some fan art. And you look underneath and someone wrote, 'I guess I can see it.' Honestly, are you kidding me? Just stop it! It's reassuring and frustrating at the same time."
"Man of Steel 2" is scheduled to be released in movie theaters on May 6, 2016.
More Articles to Read:
'Man of Steel 2' Wonder Woman Costume: Film Sequel's Costume Designer Michael Wilkinson Tease Gal Gadot Will Have a 'Gladiator'-Inspired Look - [READ]
'Man of Steel 2' Jesse Eisenberg as Lex Luthor: Michael Rosenbaum and Kevin Spacey Thinks 'The Social Network' Star is a Great Actor - [READ]
'Man of Steel 2' Casting Rumours: 'Fruitvale Station' Actor Michael B. Jordan Talked To Director Zack Snyder For a Role in Movie Sequel? - [READ]
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Slow-Moving Yet Unrelenting Hawaii Lava Now Only Inches Away From Pahoa Homes
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Cavaliers, LeBron James Flop In First Game Back In Cleveland; New York Knicks, Melo Pull Off Road Upset, 95-90 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- This Is Why Japanese Princess Masako Attended First Palace Banquet After 11 Years
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers From Nov. 3-7, 2014: Hunter Tylo Comes Back To 'B&B' As Dr. Taylor Hamilton Hayes While Changes Are Being Made At Forrester Creations
- ‘The Bachelor Australia’ Update: Louise And Blake To Make Their First Appearance As A Couple In Australia
- Pregnant Kourtney Kardashian Talks About Marrying Scott Disick, Her Pregnancy Cravings and Picking Out Baby Names
- ‘The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies’ Premiere Announcement Plus Spoilers [Watch Video]
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Dismantling Of Fukushima Reactor 1 Faces Delays, US Judge Gives Sailor Go Signal To Push Through Lawsuit Against TEPCO Over Radiation
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge To Be Available Through T-Mobile In The US
- Five Extreme Drop Tests On BlackBerry Passport Reveals Its Endurance [Watch Video]
- Updated iOS 8 Pangu Untethered Jailbreak Now Fully Works with Cydia: Key Fixes & Mods to Expect
- Ex-Ohio Trooper Pleads Guilty To Issuing Sex as Penalty To Women Motorists