'Man of Steel 2' Ben Affleck as Batman: Michael Keaton Defends Casting Choice, Film Director Zack Snyder Still Deals with Fans' Backlash
By Jenalyn Villamarin | March 10, 2014 2:10 PM EST
The "Man of Steel 2" casting choice has been receiving criticisms but some have defended the actors portraying the characters like Kevin Spacey and Michael Rosenbaum who both agreed that "The Social Network" actor Jesse Eisenberg can portray the villain Lex Luthor. The latest to defend Ben Affleck being cast as Batman is another actor who portrayed the black-caped superhero, Michael Keaton.
Michael Keaton famously portrayed the role of Batman in the 1989 film "Batman" and "Batman Returns" in 1992. The 62-year-old actor appeared in the Today Show where he talked about Ben Affleck being part of the movie sequel as well as the criticisms on the casting choice.
In the Enstars report, Michael Keaton revealed during the interview that Ben Affleck is "going to be great" in the "Man of Steel 2." The actor further talked about the casting choice criticisms claiming that he does not understand why people object to Ben Affleck being cast as Batman.
Michael Keaton stated: "I don't follow it much, but I guess there was some sort of... I don't know why people get excited about things. Frankly, I don't understand it." It has been previously reported that actor Seth Green has slammed Ben Affleck for not being scary enough to portray Batman opposite British actor Henry Cavill who reprises his Superman role in the movie sequel.
"If this movie is meant to be the idealistic alien, humans-before-all-else Superman, and this is supposed to be the grizzled, weathered Batman who's been living in Gotham, fighting crime himself for 10 years, you need a guy who's older. You need a guy's who's got more weight, you need a guy that a Henry Cavill Superman is gonna be actually scared of," Seth Green explained last February.
Film director Zack Snyder does not understand as well why fans are against their decision to cast Ben Affleck as Batman, Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman and Jesse Eisenberg as Lex Luthor in the upcoming "Batman vs. Superman" flick. According to the HNGN report, the film director had a recent interview with Hero Complex where he continued to defend their casting choice.
Zack Snyder pointed out that they know the material so casting is based on what is happening in the movie script. "We're hoping that leads to enough originality, enough perspective on what we're doing that you get something fresh and exciting. I understand the canon," the director explained.
Mr Synder further added: "I know what these characters need from a mythological standpoint. I think Jesse is going to be an amazing Lex. Let's not forget he was nominated for an Academy Award. It's not like I just grabbed my friend to play the guy! This guy's the real deal. By the way, in looking at all the talk-back, you can get all different perspectives in there too. Some people are hating to hate. Some people - someone did some fan art. And you look underneath and someone wrote, 'I guess I can see it.' Honestly, are you kidding me? Just stop it! It's reassuring and frustrating at the same time."
"Man of Steel 2" is scheduled to be released in movie theaters on May 6, 2016.
More Articles to Read:
'Man of Steel 2' Wonder Woman Costume: Film Sequel's Costume Designer Michael Wilkinson Tease Gal Gadot Will Have a 'Gladiator'-Inspired Look - [READ]
'Man of Steel 2' Jesse Eisenberg as Lex Luthor: Michael Rosenbaum and Kevin Spacey Thinks 'The Social Network' Star is a Great Actor - [READ]
'Man of Steel 2' Casting Rumours: 'Fruitvale Station' Actor Michael B. Jordan Talked To Director Zack Snyder For a Role in Movie Sequel? - [READ]
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- ‘America's Got Talent’ (AGT) Season 9 (2014) Winner: Betting Odds And Judges Predict Who Could Win The Finals
- ‘Dancing With The Stars’ (DWTS) Season 19 (2014) Winner Predictions: Fellow Contestants And Betting Odds Predict Who Could Win Mirror Ball Trophy
- ‘The Big Bang Theory’ Season 8 Spoilers: Nine Moments From Episode 1, The Locomotion Interruption
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Sept. 15, 2014: Liam Confronts Quinn About Her Secret Regarding Paris [WATCH VIDEO]
- Norman Reedus Instagrams ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5 Poster Featuring Rick Grimes With A Twist
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- iPhone 6 Plus vs Xiaomi Mi4 – The iPhone Killer Certainly Can Battle Well With The New Apple Phablet
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MF 370: Indonesian Police Chief Claims He Knows What Happened To Missing Jet
- HTC Desire 820 (Octa-Core) vs. Sony Xperia Z3 Compact – Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown