Malaysian Flight MH370: Australia Aid in Search with 2 RAAF Aircraft
By Athena Yenko | March 10, 2014 12:10 PM EST
Australia extends help in finding the missing Malaysian flight MH370.
"This afternoon I spoke to Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak to convey Australia's condolences on the loss of Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 and offer our assistance with the search for the missing aircraft. Prime Minister Najib has accepted this offer, ' Mr Abbott said in a statement late on Sunday.
The first of the two RAAF aircrafts (RAAF AP-3C Orion aircrafts) had already left from Darwin on Sunday night. The second of the two aircrafts is scheduled to leave by Monday morning.
The Australian Defence Force confirmed the departure of the aircrafts.
Acting Chief of the Australian Defence Force, Air Marshal Mark Binskin said that the RAAF AP-3C Orion aircrafts are high-quality maritime patrol and long-range surveillance aircrafts both equipped with ranges of sensors and electro-optics detectors. The aircrafts are ideally suited for search operations.
Meanwhile, the whole of the Defence Force, through Mr Binskin, extends sympathy to the families of the passengers aboard the missing Malaysian flight.
"This is a terrible tragedy and the Australian Defence Force stands ready to do all it can to assist our Malaysian friends. This has affected all Australians very deeply and our thoughts are with the families of all those caught in this incident," Binskin said.
The two RAAF AP-3C Orion aircrafts are based in Darwin. The first aircraft that departed Darwin is an aid to RAAF Butterworth in Malaysia. It will be base there for the whole duration of the search operations.
The aircrafts were sent following confirmation that the Malaysian government had accepted aid from the country. The confirmation made by Mr Abbott.
There were six Australians and two New Zealanders aboard the missing Malaysian flight.
Malaysian flight MH370 disappeared over the South China Sea on Sunday morning after two hours of its departure from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing.
There had been unconfirmed reports of terrorism sparked by two of the passengers found to be holding stolen passports.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
- Taylor Swift's Famous Ex-Boyfriends: From Harry Styles To Joe Jonas [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 3 Signs Nexus 6, 8 Release Date Nears: Leaked Pics, KitKat Factory Image & Android L Details Emerge
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Available Through O2 For £380, Other Carriers To Follow Soon
- Apple iPhone 6 vs. OnePlus One: With Invitation-Only Model Rested, OnePlus One Can Be A Real Threat To iPhone 6
- ISIS Supporters are Walking Among the Many in the United States – Report
- ISIS Receives Food, Ammunition Due To Mistake Of Iraqi Pilots
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build
- Airstrikes Against ISIS Has Claimed Innocent Lives In Syria, Dubbed ‘Ineffective’ By Jihadi Fighters, US Military To Ask For More Spending Money