Dennis Rodman Defends North Korean Trips, But Won’t Go Back There
By Anne Lu | March 10, 2014 9:20 AM EST
Dennis Rodman will not go back to North Korea if the people don’t want him to. The former Chicago Bulls star apologised if he has put anyone in harm’s way during his trips to the hermit nation.
“I wish they understood the whole purpose of why I went to North Korea. I wish they did,” the retired baller told ESPN in an interview.
Rodman insisted that his motives were pure when he went to the East Asian country twice to meet its leader Kim Jong-un.
His trips were highly criticised, with some people saying his fraternisation with the North Korean dictator meant he was condoning him.
Former U.S. Ambassador to the UN Bill Richardson also slammed Rodman’s trip, claiming it interfered with diplomacy efforts.
“What makes me so damn bad? What makes me this bad, awful person?”
He continued, “At least someone tried. So that’s how I look at it. You know, I don’t want to be a hero, I don’t want to be this, I don’t want to be that. I just wanted to be, just do happy things and do great things in life. That’s all I wanted to do. That’s it.”
And if he has put anyone in harm’s way, Rodman apologises for it.
Rodman went to the reclusive nation in February 2013 to host basketball exhibitions. Apparently, Kim’s love of basketball helped them form a bond together.
In January, he returned to North Korea, and even sang Kim a “Happy Birthday.” Shortly after that trip, he held an interview with CNN, appearing inebriated and defending the country for locking up American prisoner Kenneth Bae.
He apologised to Bae’s family for his outburst, checking into a rehabilitation facility after. He denied that he sought help for alcoholism, as was widely reported, but he did because he simply “needed to decompress from all the things I was going through.”
As for his future trips to North Korea, he continued to ESPN, “If you don’t want me to go back there ever again, I won’t go back.”
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports