NBA News: Phil Jackson Nearing NBA Return, Set to Join New York Knicks Front Office
By James Patrick Quizon | March 10, 2014 5:15 AM EST
Just last Thursday, news made the rounds that Phil Jackson was interested in going back to the NBA. Recent reports particularly from Stephen A. Smith of ESPN are saying that the Zen Master is “leaning towards a job” with the Big Apple franchise.
NBA: New Orleans Pelicans at New York Knicks
A decision has not been made, but reportedly the offer is not for the head coaching position but in the front office—president of basketball operations.
One of his demands is that he should be in complete control of all basketball-related decisions, which include the coaching selection and roster movement.
If hired as the general manager, Jackson will face a challenge of overhauling the Knicks roster full of malcontents and toxic contracts.
The Knicks will owe over $87 million in contracts for the 2013-2014 and it jumps to $91M in 2014-2015. New York has also given away their first round picks in the NBA Draft for 2014 and 2016. Among the players with bad deals are Amare Stoudemire ($45.4M left), Andrea Bargnani ($23M left) and J.R. Smith ($17M left).
Carmelo Anthony ($45M left) could also leave for free agency after this season.
There are mixed reports that a head coach gig is in sight—as early as next season--- although initial interviews revealed that Jackson does not want the position that can weigh heavily on the 68-year-old’s body.
"I don't want to be on the sidelines," said Jackson last week to Sam Amick of USA Today. "That's for damned sure."
Jackson won NBA titles as a player in 1970 and 1973 and had even more success as a head coach with 11 titles combined mentoring the Chicago Bulls in the 90s and the Los Angeles Lakers in the last decade.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin Should Be Ready to Start for Los Angeles Lakers as Steve Nash Confirms Retirement
- Manchester United Transfer News: Arturo Vidal Leaving Juventus for the Red Devils Gaining Momentum
- Roger Federer Forced to Take Down Children's Play Area on his Property in Valbella
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Striker Disappointed with Cesc Fabregas Sale to Chelsea
- 5 Sports Stars Who are Also Into Other Sports
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date