NBA News: Phil Jackson Nearing NBA Return, Set to Join New York Knicks Front Office
By James Patrick Quizon | March 10, 2014 5:15 AM EST
Just last Thursday, news made the rounds that Phil Jackson was interested in going back to the NBA. Recent reports particularly from Stephen A. Smith of ESPN are saying that the Zen Master is “leaning towards a job” with the Big Apple franchise.
NBA: New Orleans Pelicans at New York Knicks
A decision has not been made, but reportedly the offer is not for the head coaching position but in the front office—president of basketball operations.
One of his demands is that he should be in complete control of all basketball-related decisions, which include the coaching selection and roster movement.
If hired as the general manager, Jackson will face a challenge of overhauling the Knicks roster full of malcontents and toxic contracts.
The Knicks will owe over $87 million in contracts for the 2013-2014 and it jumps to $91M in 2014-2015. New York has also given away their first round picks in the NBA Draft for 2014 and 2016. Among the players with bad deals are Amare Stoudemire ($45.4M left), Andrea Bargnani ($23M left) and J.R. Smith ($17M left).
Carmelo Anthony ($45M left) could also leave for free agency after this season.
There are mixed reports that a head coach gig is in sight—as early as next season--- although initial interviews revealed that Jackson does not want the position that can weigh heavily on the 68-year-old’s body.
"I don't want to be on the sidelines," said Jackson last week to Sam Amick of USA Today. "That's for damned sure."
Jackson won NBA titles as a player in 1970 and 1973 and had even more success as a head coach with 11 titles combined mentoring the Chicago Bulls in the 90s and the Los Angeles Lakers in the last decade.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Will Probably Pick Between Amir Khan Or Manny Pacquiao For Next Fight According to Uncle Jeff
- Rafael Nadal Back In Action To Target Novak Djokovic At China Open
- Bruce Jenner Says Lamar Odom Should Follow His Heart If He Wants To Get Back Together With Khloe Kardashian
- Maria Sharapova On Relationship With Grigor Dimitrov: ‘Everything Is Great’; Dimitrov Was Present At Sharapova’s First Round Match In China
- Tony Stewart Reveals Retirement Not In Options, Reflects On His Life After the Fatal Crash
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate