China Ready for Free Trade Deal With Australia
By Vittorio Hernandez | March 10, 2014 1:10 AM EST
UK exports are still outweighed by imports in the country's trade (Reuters)
China is optimistic that by the end of 2014, it would have signed a free trade agreement with Australia. Chinese Commerce Minister Gao Hucheng said in a press briefing on Friday that the prospects of inking the deal as soon as possible were optimistic.
He said that Canberra wants to close the agreement within 2014, and Beijing is willing to work together with the Australian government.
The talks, which had been going for nine years, is hampered by some points of disagreement such as Australia seeking free access for agricultural exports and China concerned over the restrictions on its state-owned enterprises and the entry of Chinese workers to Australia.
He said, quoted by The Sydney Morning Herald, "As to how to properly solve these problems so that a China-Australia FTA could be reached as soon as possible, this is the common will of both governments."
His statement echoed what Chinese Premier Li Keqiang said at the National People's Congress on Wednesday that China wants to speed up the free trade talks between the two nations.
So far, two rounds of technical consultations had been held with the Abbott government and China is looking forward to receive relevant officials from the new Australian government to begin another round of formal negotiations, Mr Gao said.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Kanye West, Ben Affleck, Serena Williams Are Victims Of Migraines: Ways To Tackle It
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
Join the Conversation
- Another Close Call For Malaysian Airlines As Auto Pilot Defect Hits MH198 From Hyderabad
- Australian Stock Market Report – Afternoon September 15, 2014
- Iron Age For Australia Ends As Price Of Key Steelmaking Ingredient Dips Below $83/Tonne
- Australian Stock Market Report – Morning September 15, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report – Midday September 15, 2014
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date