China Ready for Free Trade Deal With Australia
By Vittorio Hernandez | March 10, 2014 1:10 AM EST
UK exports are still outweighed by imports in the country's trade (Reuters)
China is optimistic that by the end of 2014, it would have signed a free trade agreement with Australia. Chinese Commerce Minister Gao Hucheng said in a press briefing on Friday that the prospects of inking the deal as soon as possible were optimistic.
He said that Canberra wants to close the agreement within 2014, and Beijing is willing to work together with the Australian government.
The talks, which had been going for nine years, is hampered by some points of disagreement such as Australia seeking free access for agricultural exports and China concerned over the restrictions on its state-owned enterprises and the entry of Chinese workers to Australia.
He said, quoted by The Sydney Morning Herald, "As to how to properly solve these problems so that a China-Australia FTA could be reached as soon as possible, this is the common will of both governments."
His statement echoed what Chinese Premier Li Keqiang said at the National People's Congress on Wednesday that China wants to speed up the free trade talks between the two nations.
So far, two rounds of technical consultations had been held with the Abbott government and China is looking forward to receive relevant officials from the new Australian government to begin another round of formal negotiations, Mr Gao said.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Killer Whales Gobble Japanese Whaling Crew
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- 12-inch MacBook Apple Retina and 2014 MacBook Pro to Feature Liquid Sensors, Release in October
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal
- 5 Marketing Nuggets We Can All Learn From Lady Gaga