China Ready for Free Trade Deal With Australia
By Vittorio Hernandez | March 10, 2014 1:10 AM EST
UK exports are still outweighed by imports in the country's trade (Reuters)
China is optimistic that by the end of 2014, it would have signed a free trade agreement with Australia. Chinese Commerce Minister Gao Hucheng said in a press briefing on Friday that the prospects of inking the deal as soon as possible were optimistic.
He said that Canberra wants to close the agreement within 2014, and Beijing is willing to work together with the Australian government.
The talks, which had been going for nine years, is hampered by some points of disagreement such as Australia seeking free access for agricultural exports and China concerned over the restrictions on its state-owned enterprises and the entry of Chinese workers to Australia.
He said, quoted by The Sydney Morning Herald, "As to how to properly solve these problems so that a China-Australia FTA could be reached as soon as possible, this is the common will of both governments."
His statement echoed what Chinese Premier Li Keqiang said at the National People's Congress on Wednesday that China wants to speed up the free trade talks between the two nations.
So far, two rounds of technical consultations had been held with the Abbott government and China is looking forward to receive relevant officials from the new Australian government to begin another round of formal negotiations, Mr Gao said.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast