China Ready for Free Trade Deal With Australia
By Vittorio Hernandez | March 10, 2014 1:10 AM EST
UK exports are still outweighed by imports in the country's trade (Reuters)
China is optimistic that by the end of 2014, it would have signed a free trade agreement with Australia. Chinese Commerce Minister Gao Hucheng said in a press briefing on Friday that the prospects of inking the deal as soon as possible were optimistic.
He said that Canberra wants to close the agreement within 2014, and Beijing is willing to work together with the Australian government.
The talks, which had been going for nine years, is hampered by some points of disagreement such as Australia seeking free access for agricultural exports and China concerned over the restrictions on its state-owned enterprises and the entry of Chinese workers to Australia.
He said, quoted by The Sydney Morning Herald, "As to how to properly solve these problems so that a China-Australia FTA could be reached as soon as possible, this is the common will of both governments."
His statement echoed what Chinese Premier Li Keqiang said at the National People's Congress on Wednesday that China wants to speed up the free trade talks between the two nations.
So far, two rounds of technical consultations had been held with the Abbott government and China is looking forward to receive relevant officials from the new Australian government to begin another round of formal negotiations, Mr Gao said.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports