Satyamev Jayate 2: Aamir Khan Questions the State of Police System in the Country
By Arijita Bhowmik | March 9, 2014 8:47 PM EST
After a gripping episode on rape cases of the country, Aamir Khan delved into police atrocities in India, revealing some shocking scenarios along with suggestive remedies.
Aamir Khan (Photo credit: Facebook page)
The episode began on a note of public aversion towards police supported by clippings which cried out the force's inhumane treatments towards the civilians. Incidents such as protestors being ruthlessly beaten up, women and children being harassed at the hands of uniformed men evoked strong response.
But Khan seemed clearly a man on mission as he made his point evident that his aim was not to involve in mudslinging, but to get to the root of the problem and analyze the reasons of police apathy.
IPS officer Anubhav Kumar, while speaking with Khan in the show, revealed that majority of the police personnel were subjected to hostile conditions with no proper working place, no basic amenities, and gruelling 24-hour work shifts leaving them in a difficult state. He shockingly compared Indian police's role to that of "hunt dogs" for politicians. He said that police functioned in accordance with the people in power, which invariably went against the system of justice and the general good of the public.
Adding to it, retired IPS officer Prakash Singh stated that he had moved the court to give the police autonomy so that they can function sans the state governments' interference. Supreme Court, in its judgement, has favoured the idea but as shocking as it might seem, ex-SC Judge KT Thomas revealed that none of the states have imposed the highest court's guidelines.
Then, the grim fate of police constables who comprise the majority of the force came to light. Distraught living conditions laden with misused treatment at workplace and no scope of promotion presented a woeful insight about the constables, who constitute 92 per cent of the police force.
The inept investigation process was also highlighted as Aamir pointed out that the Indian police lack a separate investigation cell, as seen in police forces of various countries. A guest in the show pointed that despite the police being provided some investigative training most cases proceed only with police using physical power, which to a large extent leads to the controversial custodial deaths.
Khan highlighted that the police recruitment system in India is fundamentally flawed as it promotes inequality. Following an archaic rule, India has four different ranks which creates a hierarchy and enables the IPS personnel (highest level) to look down upon the constables (lowest level), who are denied their due pay.
Public's fear from the police is another nail in the force's coffin. A suggestion by a veteran stated that the need of the hour is a comfortable relation between public and police which could only be achieved with free interaction from both sides.
Another guest vouched that people friendly police, increased women recruits, improvement in the personnel's working condition along with a non-intrusive state government could bring the necessary changes in the police system of the country.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Brad Pitt Forced To Talk About Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston: Asked to Compare Wife Angelina Jolie With Rachel From 'Friends'
- Ian Somerhalder Girlfriend: 'Twilight' Actress Nikki Reed Heads Back To Los Angeles Solo, Spotted Partying With Michelle Rodriguez At A Fashion Event
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Evictee Jason Rose Opens Up About His Family’s Acceptance of His Sexuality, Cat and Lawson’s Illicit Love Affair [VIDEO]
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 24, 2014: Katie Spills Ridge's Secret Plan While Eric's Announcement Causes A Huge Furor [WATCH VIDEO]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Major Spoilers: Death Count, The Terminus Residents’ Fate Plus Father Gabriel's Past
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation