'Nimirnthu Nil' Review Roundup: Fans of Anti-Corruption Films can Give it a Shot
By sangeetha seshagiri | March 9, 2014 8:03 PM EST
Jayam Ravi's "Nimirnthu Nil," which had a delayed release, has received mixed reviews from critics.
Directed by Samuthirakani, "Nimirnthu Nil" deals with corruption. Aravind Sivaswamy (Jayam Ravi) gets educated in an ashram school and believes that honesty and self discipline are important principles in his life. However, he is not aware that the entire system is corrupt and there is no discipline in the society.
Jayam Ravi (Twitter)
When he finds it, he is not able to cope with it and wants to change the system. He makes a secret plot against 147 government officials with the help of his friend (Soori), a Lawyer (Panju Subbu), popular news anchor (Gopinath) and some uncorrupt bureaucrats. He expose the corrupt officials while receiving bribe and they face legal charges. The officials form a group to disprove the charges levelled against them. The rest of the story is about how Aravind succeeds in his mission to bring a change in the system.
"Nimirnthu Nil" also has Amala Paul, Ragini Dwivedi, Nassar and Sarath Kumar in pivotal roles.
Critics have appreciated the performance of Jayam Ravi, who has got enough scope to emote. "He is brilliant in the intense close-up scenes when he delivers powerful dialogues very convincingly. The lines are sharp and Ravi is convincing in uttering these lines with the required emotion and modulation," says Behindwoods Review Board.
The dialogues in the film seem to be one of its highlights. "Nimirnthu Nil's biggest strength is Samuthirakani's dialogues, especially Soori's sarcastic comments about the corrupt system constantly evokes laughter and also Gopinath's questions over the corrupt system are having the much needed punch," says Rajasekar S of Cinemalead.
On the flip side, critics say that the film does not have a fresh script. They feel that the first half is fast, but the second half falls flat. "The second half falls flat in many aspects. The antagonist group is reduced to a group comprising of buffoons and rowdies. The logic behind the introduction of another Jayam Ravi's character is hardly convincing, so is the easily guessable twist that happens to the character at the end," says Indiaglitz.
"The second half doesn't live up to the pace of the first, thanks to some redundant elements in the screenplay. The director has bowed down to needless songs and dance sequences and these portions extend the running time and blunt the movie to an extent," says Behindwoods Review Board.
Although there are negatives in the film, one can watch it if he/she is a fan of anti-corruption films, as well as for Jayam Ravi's performance.
(Edited by Anu James)
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ian Somerhalder–Nina Dobrev Reunion Not Happening: 'The Vampire Diaries' (TVD) Star Is 'Falling In Love' With Nikki Reed—Report
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Lawson’s Girlfriend Reportedly Entering the House Plus Sandra Gets Evicted [VIDEO]
- 'Arrow' Season 3, Episode 3 Spoilers: Merlyn vs Queen; Thea Reborn; Felicity Smoak Gets New Boss [Watch Arrow 3x03 Promo Video]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ Spoilers For Oct. 23: Find Out What Happens When Phyllis Meets Kelly
- 'NCIS' Season 12, Episode 5 Spoilers: Gibbs' Gut OKs FBI Agent Leia Pendergast; A Favorite Guest Star Returns [Watch NCIS 12x5 Promo Video]
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Canada Raises National Terror Alert Level after Suspected Jihadist Runs Over Soldier