Naval Mishap Kills One, Injures Two in Visakhapatnam
By Rama Mohan | March 9, 2014 7:13 PM EST
One civil worker was killed and two other fellow workers got injured in Visakhapatnam's Ship Building Centre's Eastern Naval Command on 8 March 2014 (Saturday). This is the third such naval accident within a fortnight. The injured have been hosptilised.
Ships and a submarine belonging to the Indian Navy are seen docked at the naval dockyard in Mumbai.
The deceased is identified as 24-year-old Amar, who was killed on the spot. The seriously injured Amzad Khan and Vishnu are receiving treatment in a Visakhapatnam/Vizag hospital, said Defence Research Development Organization (DRDO) chief Avinash Chander, PTI reported.
The worker was killed when the lid of the hydraulic tank of the Arihant class submarine flew off and fell on the workers. The pressure of the hydraulic tank is said to have caused the falling of the hydraulic tank lid. The nuclear submarine was a follow-up of the Navy's warship INS Arihant.
This Vizag accident follows a day after a Navy officer was killed on board on a Kolkata-class under-construction destroyer at Mazagaon dock in Mumbai.
Prior to that, two weeks ago, two officers on board the INS Sindhuratna were killed due to smoke and fire in the underwater submarine in Mumbai. This naval mishap led to the resignation of the former Navy Chief Admiral DK Joshi, taking moral responsibility over the naval accidents.
Sources said that the Saturday's accident in Visakhapatnam's Eastern Naval Command took place on the Aridaman project at the ship building centre in Visakhapatnam.
Amar, the worker who died, was a civilian sub-contractor, who was a part of the construction crew. The accident took place when the hull was being pressure tested and one of the hatches flew apart.
The second in the line of three Arihant class boats, INS Aridaman, will be part of India's vital nuclear trial and is expected to join the fleet shortly.
(Edited by Anu James)
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Spotted All Smiles, Sickness Seems Over
- 14 Contestants For Miss Hitler 2014 Beauty Pageant Organised By Russian Equivalent Of Facebook
- 2014 Meteor Shower: Slooh To Have Live Broadcast Of Orionids Meteor Shower October 21 Peak, NASA Assures Ideal Observing Conditions
- 63-Year-Old Admits He Has Made Love To More Than 700 Cars But Now Remains Faithful To Just One Beetle
- Top Fake News Websites - Be Aware Or Beware
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage