Naval Mishap Kills One, Injures Two in Visakhapatnam
By Rama Mohan | March 9, 2014 7:13 PM EST
One civil worker was killed and two other fellow workers got injured in Visakhapatnam's Ship Building Centre's Eastern Naval Command on 8 March 2014 (Saturday). This is the third such naval accident within a fortnight. The injured have been hosptilised.
Ships and a submarine belonging to the Indian Navy are seen docked at the naval dockyard in Mumbai.
The deceased is identified as 24-year-old Amar, who was killed on the spot. The seriously injured Amzad Khan and Vishnu are receiving treatment in a Visakhapatnam/Vizag hospital, said Defence Research Development Organization (DRDO) chief Avinash Chander, PTI reported.
The worker was killed when the lid of the hydraulic tank of the Arihant class submarine flew off and fell on the workers. The pressure of the hydraulic tank is said to have caused the falling of the hydraulic tank lid. The nuclear submarine was a follow-up of the Navy's warship INS Arihant.
This Vizag accident follows a day after a Navy officer was killed on board on a Kolkata-class under-construction destroyer at Mazagaon dock in Mumbai.
Prior to that, two weeks ago, two officers on board the INS Sindhuratna were killed due to smoke and fire in the underwater submarine in Mumbai. This naval mishap led to the resignation of the former Navy Chief Admiral DK Joshi, taking moral responsibility over the naval accidents.
Sources said that the Saturday's accident in Visakhapatnam's Eastern Naval Command took place on the Aridaman project at the ship building centre in Visakhapatnam.
Amar, the worker who died, was a civilian sub-contractor, who was a part of the construction crew. The accident took place when the hull was being pressure tested and one of the hatches flew apart.
The second in the line of three Arihant class boats, INS Aridaman, will be part of India's vital nuclear trial and is expected to join the fleet shortly.
(Edited by Anu James)
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy:Camilla And Princess Eugenie Reportedly Jealous, Claimed Duchess Only Good At Making Babies
- New Zealand Scientists Dissect Well-Preserved Female Colossal Squid [VIDEO]
- This Model Thinks She Is A Bombshell After Plastic Surgery Costing £30,000 Makes Her Look Like A Sex Toy
- Modern Forensic Science Reveals Evidence Of Brutal Killing Of King Richard III
- Avril Lavigne And Husband Chad Kroeger Call It Quits
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Micromax Canvas A1 Vs Spice Dream Uno Vs Karbonn Sparkle V: A Choice On Which Android Is The Best
- Australian Liberals Urge Expat Kiwis To Favour John Key In New Zealand Election