Naval Mishap Kills One, Injures Two in Visakhapatnam
By Rama Mohan | March 9, 2014 7:13 PM EST
One civil worker was killed and two other fellow workers got injured in Visakhapatnam's Ship Building Centre's Eastern Naval Command on 8 March 2014 (Saturday). This is the third such naval accident within a fortnight. The injured have been hosptilised.
Ships and a submarine belonging to the Indian Navy are seen docked at the naval dockyard in Mumbai.
The deceased is identified as 24-year-old Amar, who was killed on the spot. The seriously injured Amzad Khan and Vishnu are receiving treatment in a Visakhapatnam/Vizag hospital, said Defence Research Development Organization (DRDO) chief Avinash Chander, PTI reported.
The worker was killed when the lid of the hydraulic tank of the Arihant class submarine flew off and fell on the workers. The pressure of the hydraulic tank is said to have caused the falling of the hydraulic tank lid. The nuclear submarine was a follow-up of the Navy's warship INS Arihant.
This Vizag accident follows a day after a Navy officer was killed on board on a Kolkata-class under-construction destroyer at Mazagaon dock in Mumbai.
Prior to that, two weeks ago, two officers on board the INS Sindhuratna were killed due to smoke and fire in the underwater submarine in Mumbai. This naval mishap led to the resignation of the former Navy Chief Admiral DK Joshi, taking moral responsibility over the naval accidents.
Sources said that the Saturday's accident in Visakhapatnam's Eastern Naval Command took place on the Aridaman project at the ship building centre in Visakhapatnam.
Amar, the worker who died, was a civilian sub-contractor, who was a part of the construction crew. The accident took place when the hull was being pressure tested and one of the hatches flew apart.
The second in the line of three Arihant class boats, INS Aridaman, will be part of India's vital nuclear trial and is expected to join the fleet shortly.
(Edited by Anu James)
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Hearsays: Possible Evidence Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Meeks Death Hoax: Handsome Felon's Fake Death after Release from Jail Goes Viral
- 2014 Meteor Shower: Where and How to Best View Delta Aquarids Meteor Shower Peak on July 28 and 29
- Happy Birthday Prince George: 5 Things to Know About Kate Middleton and Prince William’s Son
- Prince George’s Birthday Celebrations: Prince Charles and Duchess Camilla to Remain Absent from Grandson's First Birthday Party Plus Other Details- Report
- iPhone 6 releasing Soon, Use Old Smartphones to Save Rainforest
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People
- Raining Discounts: $100 Price Cut on Moto X; LG G3 Available for $100 On-Contract; Sony Xperia Z2 on Release Date Gets $50 Price Cut (U.S.)