Box Office: 'Queen', 'Gulaab Gang' and 'Total Siyapaa' Day 1 Collections
By sangeetha seshagiri | March 9, 2014 6:03 PM EST
Friday releases (8 March) "Gulaab Gang", "Queen" and "Total Siyapaa" had a low start on their first day.
Madhuri Dixit-Juhi Chawla's "Gulaab Gang" was expected to open well on the first day, considering that the film was carrying positive pre-release buzz. However, the film failed to register a fantastic opening and started off on a dull note.
The film, centered on the struggle of women in India, received mixed reviews from critics. The Madhuri-Juhi starrer witnessed average theatre occupancy on the first day and earned ₹2.41 crore nett on its opening day at the box office, according to film critic and trade analyst Taran Adarsh.
The film reportedly earned less than Madhuri's "Dedh Ishqiya" opening day collections. However, the film's collections have been higher than the other films released along with it. It remains to be seen if "Gulaab Gang" will be able to score double digit numbers in its first weekend collections.
Kangana Ranaut's "Queen" received fantastic reviews from critics. However, that didn't help the film score big collections at the box office. The film earned ₹1.75 crore nett on the first day, despite releasing in 1100 screens across India.
"Queen" performed well in multiplexes in places such as Mumbai, Bangalore and Delhi NCR. However, the film's performance in single screens has been poor, reported Koimoi.
Positive word of mouth could help the film fetch in decent collections in its opening weekend.
Ali Zafar-Yami Gautham's "Total Siyapaa" has performed poorly than the other two films - "Gulaab Gang" and "Queen."
The film, which faced strong competition from the new releases, has earned ₹1.11 crore nett at the domestic box office.
However, the film has opened well in international markets such as UAE, UK and Pakistan. It leads over "Gulaab Gang" and "Queen" in the foreign markets. "While #TotalSiyapaa may be lagging behind #GulaabGang and #Queen in India, it's leading in international markets - UAE, Pakistan, UK," Taran tweeted.
'#TotalSiyapaa UAE Thu & Fri $ 101.32 k ... Pakistan Fri $ 48.8 k ... UK Fri £ 13 k ... Australia Fri A$ 8 k," he said.
The romantic comedy entertainer received mixed reviews from the critics. It needs to be seen, if the film picks up during the weekend and post a decent three-day total at the Indian box office.
(Edited by Anu James)
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Winner is Marlisa Punzalan; Dean Ray Finishes as Runner-Up [VIDEOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Promo, Spoilers: Find Out What Happens In ‘Four Walls And A Roof’
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Housemate Lawson Chooses Cat Over GF, Kisses Cat in Bed [VIDEO]
- 'American Horror Story' : Renewed For Season 5, Ryan Murphy Says 'We're Not Doing Space'
- Kristen Stewart ‘Not In Love’ With ‘Equals’ Co-star Nicholas Hoult -- Reports
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch