Box Office: 'Queen', 'Gulaab Gang' and 'Total Siyapaa' Day 1 Collections
By sangeetha seshagiri | March 9, 2014 6:03 PM EST
Friday releases (8 March) "Gulaab Gang", "Queen" and "Total Siyapaa" had a low start on their first day.
Madhuri Dixit-Juhi Chawla's "Gulaab Gang" was expected to open well on the first day, considering that the film was carrying positive pre-release buzz. However, the film failed to register a fantastic opening and started off on a dull note.
The film, centered on the struggle of women in India, received mixed reviews from critics. The Madhuri-Juhi starrer witnessed average theatre occupancy on the first day and earned ₹2.41 crore nett on its opening day at the box office, according to film critic and trade analyst Taran Adarsh.
The film reportedly earned less than Madhuri's "Dedh Ishqiya" opening day collections. However, the film's collections have been higher than the other films released along with it. It remains to be seen if "Gulaab Gang" will be able to score double digit numbers in its first weekend collections.
Kangana Ranaut's "Queen" received fantastic reviews from critics. However, that didn't help the film score big collections at the box office. The film earned ₹1.75 crore nett on the first day, despite releasing in 1100 screens across India.
"Queen" performed well in multiplexes in places such as Mumbai, Bangalore and Delhi NCR. However, the film's performance in single screens has been poor, reported Koimoi.
Positive word of mouth could help the film fetch in decent collections in its opening weekend.
Ali Zafar-Yami Gautham's "Total Siyapaa" has performed poorly than the other two films - "Gulaab Gang" and "Queen."
The film, which faced strong competition from the new releases, has earned ₹1.11 crore nett at the domestic box office.
However, the film has opened well in international markets such as UAE, UK and Pakistan. It leads over "Gulaab Gang" and "Queen" in the foreign markets. "While #TotalSiyapaa may be lagging behind #GulaabGang and #Queen in India, it's leading in international markets - UAE, Pakistan, UK," Taran tweeted.
'#TotalSiyapaa UAE Thu & Fri $ 101.32 k ... Pakistan Fri $ 48.8 k ... UK Fri £ 13 k ... Australia Fri A$ 8 k," he said.
The romantic comedy entertainer received mixed reviews from the critics. It needs to be seen, if the film picks up during the weekend and post a decent three-day total at the Indian box office.
(Edited by Anu James)
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘General Hospital’ Spoilers From Nov. 24-28, 2014 Plus Additional Spoilers For Dec. 1, 2014: Thanksgiving In Port Charles
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 7 Major Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Thoughtful in ‘Crossed’
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 7 Spoilers, Air Date: Where To Watch Online, Live Stream ‘Crossed’
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5 Spoilers: Rick Grimes’ Group To Capture Cops In Episode 7 – ‘Crossed’
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ (Y&R) Nov. 24 – 28 Plus Thanksgiving Special Spoilers: Someone Returns, Kelly Finds Out About Engagement And More [Videos]
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon
- Product Recall: Graco Recalls Baby Strollers in Canada, U.S. Due To Amputation Risks
- New Zealand Assured China-Australia Deal Will Not Affect Demand
- New Zealand Medicine Products Sector To Get Own Regulator::Drops Plan For A Joint Regulator With Australia
- Canada's Ontario Students Score High Rank In Global Survey Of Computer Skills