Box Office: 'Queen', 'Gulaab Gang' and 'Total Siyapaa' Day 1 Collections
By sangeetha seshagiri | March 9, 2014 6:03 PM EST
Friday releases (8 March) "Gulaab Gang", "Queen" and "Total Siyapaa" had a low start on their first day.
Madhuri Dixit-Juhi Chawla's "Gulaab Gang" was expected to open well on the first day, considering that the film was carrying positive pre-release buzz. However, the film failed to register a fantastic opening and started off on a dull note.
The film, centered on the struggle of women in India, received mixed reviews from critics. The Madhuri-Juhi starrer witnessed average theatre occupancy on the first day and earned ₹2.41 crore nett on its opening day at the box office, according to film critic and trade analyst Taran Adarsh.
The film reportedly earned less than Madhuri's "Dedh Ishqiya" opening day collections. However, the film's collections have been higher than the other films released along with it. It remains to be seen if "Gulaab Gang" will be able to score double digit numbers in its first weekend collections.
Kangana Ranaut's "Queen" received fantastic reviews from critics. However, that didn't help the film score big collections at the box office. The film earned ₹1.75 crore nett on the first day, despite releasing in 1100 screens across India.
"Queen" performed well in multiplexes in places such as Mumbai, Bangalore and Delhi NCR. However, the film's performance in single screens has been poor, reported Koimoi.
Positive word of mouth could help the film fetch in decent collections in its opening weekend.
Ali Zafar-Yami Gautham's "Total Siyapaa" has performed poorly than the other two films - "Gulaab Gang" and "Queen."
The film, which faced strong competition from the new releases, has earned ₹1.11 crore nett at the domestic box office.
However, the film has opened well in international markets such as UAE, UK and Pakistan. It leads over "Gulaab Gang" and "Queen" in the foreign markets. "While #TotalSiyapaa may be lagging behind #GulaabGang and #Queen in India, it's leading in international markets - UAE, Pakistan, UK," Taran tweeted.
'#TotalSiyapaa UAE Thu & Fri $ 101.32 k ... Pakistan Fri $ 48.8 k ... UK Fri £ 13 k ... Australia Fri A$ 8 k," he said.
The romantic comedy entertainer received mixed reviews from the critics. It needs to be seen, if the film picks up during the weekend and post a decent three-day total at the Indian box office.
(Edited by Anu James)
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- The Big Bang Theory: Mayim Bialik Talks about Sheldon, Amy Kiss in Season 7 [KISS VIDEO]
- Queen Elizabeth and Kate Middleton Clash Again: Duchess Scared of Difficult Pregnancy, Adopting Second 'Royal' Baby - Reports
- True Blood Spoilers: Alcide Killed because Season 7 is Bill, Sookie’s Season
- The Bold and the Beautiful Spoilers for July 31, 2014: Plans, Conditions and Ultimatums in B&B [WATCH VIDEO]
- Supernatural Season 10 Spoilers: Metatron Capable of Saving Castiel's Fading Grace
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools