Box Office: 'Queen', 'Gulaab Gang' and 'Total Siyapaa' Day 1 Collections
By sangeetha seshagiri | March 9, 2014 6:03 PM EST
Friday releases (8 March) "Gulaab Gang", "Queen" and "Total Siyapaa" had a low start on their first day.
Madhuri Dixit-Juhi Chawla's "Gulaab Gang" was expected to open well on the first day, considering that the film was carrying positive pre-release buzz. However, the film failed to register a fantastic opening and started off on a dull note.
The film, centered on the struggle of women in India, received mixed reviews from critics. The Madhuri-Juhi starrer witnessed average theatre occupancy on the first day and earned ₹2.41 crore nett on its opening day at the box office, according to film critic and trade analyst Taran Adarsh.
The film reportedly earned less than Madhuri's "Dedh Ishqiya" opening day collections. However, the film's collections have been higher than the other films released along with it. It remains to be seen if "Gulaab Gang" will be able to score double digit numbers in its first weekend collections.
Kangana Ranaut's "Queen" received fantastic reviews from critics. However, that didn't help the film score big collections at the box office. The film earned ₹1.75 crore nett on the first day, despite releasing in 1100 screens across India.
"Queen" performed well in multiplexes in places such as Mumbai, Bangalore and Delhi NCR. However, the film's performance in single screens has been poor, reported Koimoi.
Positive word of mouth could help the film fetch in decent collections in its opening weekend.
Ali Zafar-Yami Gautham's "Total Siyapaa" has performed poorly than the other two films - "Gulaab Gang" and "Queen."
The film, which faced strong competition from the new releases, has earned ₹1.11 crore nett at the domestic box office.
However, the film has opened well in international markets such as UAE, UK and Pakistan. It leads over "Gulaab Gang" and "Queen" in the foreign markets. "While #TotalSiyapaa may be lagging behind #GulaabGang and #Queen in India, it's leading in international markets - UAE, Pakistan, UK," Taran tweeted.
'#TotalSiyapaa UAE Thu & Fri $ 101.32 k ... Pakistan Fri $ 48.8 k ... UK Fri £ 13 k ... Australia Fri A$ 8 k," he said.
The romantic comedy entertainer received mixed reviews from the critics. It needs to be seen, if the film picks up during the weekend and post a decent three-day total at the Indian box office.
(Edited by Anu James)
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt Photographed Fighting Before ‘Unbroken’ Sydney Premiere – Report [VIDEO]
- 'NCIS Los Angeles' Season 6 Recap: Episode 9 'Traitor' Aired On Nov. 24, 2014, The Hunt For The ‘NCIS LA’ Mole Is Over [WATCH VIDEOS]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ (Y&R) Nov. 26 Spoilers: Victoria Finds Who The Father Of Her Child Is And Jack And Phyllis Rekindle Romance
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season7, Episode 12 Spoilers: Thanksgiving Break, SAMCRO Returns In December [VIDEO]
- Kate Middleton Cries As She Listens To A Moving Tale Of A Mother Who Lost Her Infant Daughter
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- 16GB iPhone 6 for $99 at Sam’s Club is the Best 2014 Black Friday Deal Around
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates