Malaysian Flight 370: Stolen Passports Used by 2 Passengers Raises Possibility of Terrorism Involved (VIDEOS)
By Vittorio Hernandez | March 9, 2014 10:20 AM EST
Is the missing Malaysian Airlines Boeing 777 jet a victim of terrorism? That angle is one possibility that has come up after the Foreign Ministry of Italy said that one passenger listed on the flight manifest, Italian Luigi Maraldi, is not on board the plane since his passport was stolen in Thailand in August 2013.
Walter Maraldi, the father of Luigi, told the New York Post in a telephone call from northern Emilia-Romagna in Italy, that his son deposited the passport with a car rental agency and upon return of the vehicle, found the passport was stole.
Luigi acquired a new passport in Thailand to be able to continue his travel, the elder Mr Maraldo added. The Italian Interior Ministry said that Luigi reported the theft of his passport upon his return to Italy on Aug 1, 2013, and the ministry recorded the details of the stolen identity document on the Interpol database.
Mr Maraldi added that his 37-year-old son called from Thailand to assuage them that he was not on the missing plane after news came out with his name listed on the flight manifest.
A similar disclosure was made by the Austrian Foreign Ministry of a male Austrian, but the ministry did not release his name although the manifest says a 30-year-old Austrian man named Christian Kozel was supposed to be on that flight.
The plane had 227 passengers and 12 crew members when it lost contact with the Subang Air Traffic Control at 2:40 am just two hours into the flight. It was scheduled to land in Beijing at 6:30 am.
With the discovery of the two stolen passport, Chinese authorities has tightened its security at the country's airports.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28