Malaysian Flight 370: Stolen Passports Used by 2 Passengers Raises Possibility of Terrorism Involved (VIDEOS)
By Vittorio Hernandez | March 9, 2014 10:20 AM EST
Is the missing Malaysian Airlines Boeing 777 jet a victim of terrorism? That angle is one possibility that has come up after the Foreign Ministry of Italy said that one passenger listed on the flight manifest, Italian Luigi Maraldi, is not on board the plane since his passport was stolen in Thailand in August 2013.
Walter Maraldi, the father of Luigi, told the New York Post in a telephone call from northern Emilia-Romagna in Italy, that his son deposited the passport with a car rental agency and upon return of the vehicle, found the passport was stole.
Luigi acquired a new passport in Thailand to be able to continue his travel, the elder Mr Maraldo added. The Italian Interior Ministry said that Luigi reported the theft of his passport upon his return to Italy on Aug 1, 2013, and the ministry recorded the details of the stolen identity document on the Interpol database.
Mr Maraldi added that his 37-year-old son called from Thailand to assuage them that he was not on the missing plane after news came out with his name listed on the flight manifest.
A similar disclosure was made by the Austrian Foreign Ministry of a male Austrian, but the ministry did not release his name although the manifest says a 30-year-old Austrian man named Christian Kozel was supposed to be on that flight.
The plane had 227 passengers and 12 crew members when it lost contact with the Subang Air Traffic Control at 2:40 am just two hours into the flight. It was scheduled to land in Beijing at 6:30 am.
With the discovery of the two stolen passport, Chinese authorities has tightened its security at the country's airports.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Google Release Roundup: New Nexus 6, Nexus 8, Android 5.0 L Launch and Killer Features
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide
- New Zealand Could Be Next ISIS Target After Australia Beheading Plot, Says Expert
- China Is Also Seizing Disputed Land Along Indian Border
- iPhone 6 Survives Drop, Both Accidental & Intentional
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?