Empty Nester Queensland Couple Among the 6 Aussie Passengers Aboard Missing Malaysian Airlines Flight 370 (VIDEOS)
By Vittorio Hernandez | March 9, 2014 2:25 AM EST
Passengers of the Malaysian Airlines plane that went missing on early Saturday while flying over South China Sea included telecom executives, metal traders, beach goers, two babies, calligraphers and a Queensland couple who are empty nesters.
The Sydney Morning Herald identified the Aussie empty nesters as Catherine and Robert Lawton, 54 and 57, who are flying to different parts of the world after their three adult daughters have left home.
According to Robbie Daintith, a neighbour of the couple at Springfield Lakes, the Lawtons went on similar overseas trip the same time in 2013. He told the newspaper, "They were lovely couple who always said hello, were always happy to have a chat and always offering to help out in any way they could."
With the Lawtons are Brisbane couple Rodney and Mary Burrows. Also on the same ill-fated flight are New South Wales couple Yuan Li and Naijun Gu.
The Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade said, consular officials are in touch with the family members living in Australia of the 6 passengers and will continue to provide them with all possible consular assistance.
Besides the 6 Aussies, on board the jet were 152 Chinese, 38 Malaysian, 12 Indonesian, 3 American, 2 Canadian and New Zealander, Italian, French, Ukrainian, Russian, Dutch, Austrian and Taiwanese passengers.
Relatives of the Chinese passengers gathered at a hotel in Beijing's Lido district and kept in a conference room inaccessible to media, although most of them are not inclined to talk to media.
Half of the passengers are Chinese, prompting Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi to convene on Saturday an urgent inter-ministerial meeting on the missing aircraft,
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date