iPhone 6 Release Date: Price Cuts on iPhone 5S and 5C Hints Early Launch?
By Raymond Ronamai | March 9, 2014 1:41 AM EST
Apple Inc. has not revealed the release date of its flagship smartphone, iPhone 6 but several conflicting reports have emerged with some claiming that it would be unveiled this summer while some expect it in September. Now, price cuts on iPhone 5S and 5C have sparked off another speculation that it would see the light of the day sooner than expected.
Screenshot from KDB Daewoo Sec
iPhone 6 vs Galaxy S5
Wal-Mart has reportedly announced price cuts for 16 GB iPhone 5s and 5c, giving a strong hint that iPhone 6 could make an early launch.
The 16 GB iPhone 5s price has been dropped from $145 to $119, while the 5c is down from $45 to $29 for customers willing to sign two-year contracts with AT&T and Verizon, according to CNN Money.
Amid reports that iPhone 6 would be unveiled at the WWDC event in June, GT Advanced Technologies' earnings report suggested that Apple's flagship smartphone would be announced only in the second or third quarter of 2014.
GT Advanced Technologies Inc., which was paid $578 million by Apple last November for sapphire production, has said in its earnings report that its sapphire materials business would increase drastically in the second half of 2014, hinting that iPhone 6 would arrive late.
The Cupertino giant has not revealed that release date of its upcoming smartphone.
iPhone 6 is expected to boast of several features, including scratch-resistant sapphire crystal glass. The U.S. Patent and Trademark Office has revealed that the Cupertino giant has filed patents for "Audio call screening for hosted voicemail systems," "Computer User Interface System and Methods," and "Systems and Methods for Preventing Light Guide Plate Scratching Artifacts," and they could be seen in the new smartphone.
The next-generation smartphone is expected to sport a 4.7/4.8' or 5.5' display with a 1920x1080p (440ppi), or a 2272×1280 (510ppi), powered by A8 chip (64-bit) and run on iOS 7.2. It is also expected to have a 1,800mAh battery, according to South Korean brokerage KDB Daewoo Securities.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery
- 8 Important Things to Consider Before Buying or Upgrading to iPad Air 2