Vietnamese Navy Hasn’t Located Yet Wreckage of Missing Malaysian Airline Jet (VIDEOS)
By Vittorio Hernandez | March 9, 2014 12:19 AM EST
The ill-fated Malaysian Airlines plane is still missing, Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak said on Saturday. He quoted the confirmation from the Vietnamese Navy that it has not yet located the wreckage of the jet in its territorial waters to belie a previous report that the plane crashed into the South China Sea.
However, a Vietnamese government statement said it spotted oil slicks off the southern tip of Vietnam between 10 kilometres and 15 kilometres long. The slicks are consistent with fuel from a crashed plane.
He said it is too early to make any conclusions about the missing plane as search operations for the missing plane in the area between Malaysia and Vietnam's southern coast further intensifies.
The report of the plane being located was triggered by relatives allegedly being told to go to the Kuala Lumpur International Airport before 7 pm of Saturday with valid passports to travel to the crash site. Vietnamese Navy Admiral Ngo Van Phat, commander of the Region 5, was also quoted as saying that the military radar recorded the jet crashed into the sea at the location 153 miles south of the Phy Quoc island.
But Malaysian Airlines neither denied nor confirmed the report. MAS Flight 370 has 230 people, including its crew. The jet disappeared in the early hours of Saturday on its way to Beijing from Kuala Lumpur.
Reports said that there was no bad weather along the route and the jet had enough fuel to fly for two more hours over its scheduled flight time. Its captain, employed with MAS for 33 years, had 18,365 hours flight experience, while the co-pilot had 2,700 hours in the cockpit.
Prior to MAS Flight 370, the only fatal accident involving a Boeing 777 was an Asiana Airlines flight that crash in San Francisco in 2013.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Confirmed as Apple Sets Sept 9 iWatch, 2 iPhones Intro - Report
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- ISIS Wants $6.6M and Release of Aafia Siddiqui in Exchange of Head of Female US Humanitarian Aid Worker, 1st American Fighting for Jihadis Dead
- Ukraine Ceasefire Looks Remote As Putin Talks Tough At Meeting With Poroshenko