Vietnamese Navy Hasn’t Located Yet Wreckage of Missing Malaysian Airline Jet (VIDEOS)
By Vittorio Hernandez | March 9, 2014 12:19 AM EST
The ill-fated Malaysian Airlines plane is still missing, Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak said on Saturday. He quoted the confirmation from the Vietnamese Navy that it has not yet located the wreckage of the jet in its territorial waters to belie a previous report that the plane crashed into the South China Sea.
However, a Vietnamese government statement said it spotted oil slicks off the southern tip of Vietnam between 10 kilometres and 15 kilometres long. The slicks are consistent with fuel from a crashed plane.
He said it is too early to make any conclusions about the missing plane as search operations for the missing plane in the area between Malaysia and Vietnam's southern coast further intensifies.
The report of the plane being located was triggered by relatives allegedly being told to go to the Kuala Lumpur International Airport before 7 pm of Saturday with valid passports to travel to the crash site. Vietnamese Navy Admiral Ngo Van Phat, commander of the Region 5, was also quoted as saying that the military radar recorded the jet crashed into the sea at the location 153 miles south of the Phy Quoc island.
But Malaysian Airlines neither denied nor confirmed the report. MAS Flight 370 has 230 people, including its crew. The jet disappeared in the early hours of Saturday on its way to Beijing from Kuala Lumpur.
Reports said that there was no bad weather along the route and the jet had enough fuel to fly for two more hours over its scheduled flight time. Its captain, employed with MAS for 33 years, had 18,365 hours flight experience, while the co-pilot had 2,700 hours in the cockpit.
Prior to MAS Flight 370, the only fatal accident involving a Boeing 777 was an Asiana Airlines flight that crash in San Francisco in 2013.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Canadian IS Jihadist Who Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers