Priyanka Chopra Beats Deepika, Vidya for Politician’s role in Madhur Bhandarkar’s Film
By Arijita Bhowmik | March 8, 2014 6:56 PM EST
After playing the rough and tough boxer in Mary Kom biopic, Priyanka Chopra will don a different garb in the role of a politician.
Priyanka Chopra at 59th Idea Filmfare Awards
The "Gunday" actress is rumoured to have toppled contemporaries Vidya Balan and Deepika Padukone, for the role of a political leader in Madhur Bhandarkar's upcoming film "Madam Jee."
Bhandarkar has reportedly been scripting the film for quite some now and had Padukone, Balan and Chopra in mind for the role. However, the director settled for his previous heroine Chopra.
"He wanted to work with Priyanka after 'Fashion.' When he was writing the script of 'Madam Jee', the story of a string woman's journey through life, he pictured PC in the role. Everyone knows that in Madhur's films, the actresses play the protagonists and that is also true of 'Madam Jee.' It will also be a realistic film as all Madhur's films," revealed a source to Bollywood Life.
According to reports, the film will have Chopra as an actress turned politician, in the lines of Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalitha.
Bhandarkar usually deals with a particular theme in each of his film as seen in "Chandni Bar", "Fashion", "Corporate" and "Heroine." And now it appears the filmmaker is set to focus on the grey area of politics with his usual female protagonist character.
Chopra had last collaborated with Bhandarkar in the super hit "Fashion" (2008), where she swept major awards for her role as the struggling model including the prestigious National Film Awards.
However, the director by signing the actress has broken his no-repetition rule. None of his previous films have repeated the same actress until now.
Moreover, donning the role of a politician seems to be a trend in Bollywood right now. Recently, Sonam Kapoor announced that she would play a young politico in "Battle for Bittora" adaptation. Kangana Ranaut, who plays the role of a local don too will be contesting elections in "Revolver Rani." Previously, Katrina Kaif has been seen as a political figure in Prakash Jha's "Rajneeti" (2010).
(Edited by Vanilla Sharma)
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Jennifer Lawrence’s Nude Photos and Videos Leaked by 4Chan Hacker; Ariana Grande, Lea Michele, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Kate Upton’s Also Included
- Celebrities’ Leaked Nude Photos: Master-List Printed, Selena Gomez, Kim Kardashian, Kate Upton, Jennifer Lawrence, Kaley Cuoco, Rihanna, More Names On It
- Nude Photos Leaked: Mary Elizabeth Winstead Says Nude Photos Hers, Faces Backlash, Takes Twitter Break
- ‘The Leftovers’: Episode 10 On Hold, Renewed For Season 2, Season 1 Finale Synopsis And Preview [VIDEO]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans