Ranbaxy Recalls over 64,000 Bottles of Generic Lipitor in U.S
March 8, 2014 3:08 PM EST
Drug maker Ranbaxy Laboratories Ltd (RANB.NS) has recalled more than 64,000 bottles of the generic versions of its cholesterol-lowering drug in the United States due to reports of a dose mix-up, U.S. regulators said.
Teva, Ranbaxy Settle Claims in U.S. Over Collusion
Ranbaxy recalled tablets of atorvastatin calcium, the generic name for Lipitor's active ingredient, after a pharmacist found a 20-milligram tablet in a sealed bottle marked for 10-milligram tablets, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) said on its website.
The FDA declared a Class II recall, which signifies a remote chance of severe adverse consequences or death due to the product flaw.
Ranbaxy could not be reached for comment outside of India's business hours.
This is at least the third recall of generic Lipitor over the past two years.
Hit by regulatory scrutiny, India's biggest drug maker by revenue had recalled 480,000 bottles of the cholesterol fighter in November 2012 after the company discovered contamination with tiny glass particles.
Worries about quality control in India's $14 billion drug industry have come to the fore in the past year as plants run by Ranbaxy and local rival Wockhardt Ltd (WCKH.NS) have been barred from sending drugs to the United States after falling short of the FDA's "good manufacturing practices".
Join the Conversation
- Lowe's Black Friday 2014 Deals Include Up To 40% Off On Select Major Appliances, Plus Free Shipping For Orders Of $19 Or More
- Walmart Canada Black Friday 2014 Ad For Nov. 28, 2014 Up To Dec. 1, 2014 Includes Savings On The iPad Mini 16GB And The Beats Solo HD Drenched Headphones
- Sears Outlet Black Friday 2014 Sale Includes Up To 60% Off On All Refrigerators And Up To 50% Off On All Washers And Dryers
- Revealed: Vladimir Putin Plotting To Invade Europe – Report
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Australian and Other Select Earth Locations Hold Proofs Life Once Existed On Mars – Report