Breaking News: A Woman Found Dead in Garage; Body Mummified as Her Bills Continued to Get Paid
By Alyssa Ashley Lucas | March 8, 2014 12:39 PM EST
A woman from Pontiac, Michigan was found mummified in the back of her car where her body clothed in winter jacket sat for several years. The car was parked in the garage and nobody noticed any thing extraordinary. In fact, someone was even mowing the woman's lawn for her, and the bills continued to get paid.
According to a Detroit Free Press report, the authorities say they believe that the woman died at least six years ago. The neighbors described the dead woman to be in her 40s and of German decent, but nobody really know much about who the woman was.
Undersheriff Mike McCabe of Oakland County, Michigan, said that the woman had $54,000 in her account, which was what was paying her bills. It was on auto-pay. But, at some point, the money ran out and the ranch-style home went into foreclosure.
McCabe said that the bank sent a contractor to check out the house after neighbors complained about a hole on the home's roof where the raccoons were getting in. It was when the contractor found the body in the garage, mummified in her Jeep. The woman was believed to have been dead since at least 2008, which was the year the license plate on the woman's Jeep expired.
The woman was reported to have been living in her house alone, coming in and out, and always traveling a lot, so the neighbors thought that her absences were due to her returning to Germany.
"She really kept to herself. We never really heard anything from her," a neighbor told CNN.
McCabe said that he'd been doing his job for 37years, but he had never before seen anything like what happened to the woman. The woman was found mummified, sitting in the backseat of her car with the key halfway in the ignition.
Dr. Bernardino Pacris, the county deputy medical examiner who conducted the autopsy, said that the woman's skin was still intact, but the internal organs had decomposed.
According to Pacris, during the mummification process, the skin will develop a parchment-like consistency and leathery texture. He said that finding a body in that condition is unusual, but "once in a while, we see this."
The toxicology report was still yet to arrive, which will take four to six weeks, before determining the cause of death. According to McCabe, Pacris found no signs of trauma to the woman's body.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Image Of An Alien Revealed By US Intelligence Agent Suggests Existence Of Extraterrestrial Life -- Report
- US Police Officers Shoot 12-Year-Old Child ‘By Mistake’
- Woman Charged For Leaving Her Baby in Drain in Australia Needs 'Compassion' Says Social Worker
- [In Pictures] Police Fire As Protest Turns Into ‘Riot’ After Grand Jury Decision on Ferguson Shooting
- New Zealanders in Australia Consider Moving Back to Home Country For Better Life
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- 16GB iPhone 6 for $99 at Sam’s Club is the Best 2014 Black Friday Deal Around