Breaking News: A Woman Found Dead in Garage; Body Mummified as Her Bills Continued to Get Paid
By Alyssa Ashley Lucas | March 8, 2014 12:39 PM EST
A woman from Pontiac, Michigan was found mummified in the back of her car where her body clothed in winter jacket sat for several years. The car was parked in the garage and nobody noticed any thing extraordinary. In fact, someone was even mowing the woman's lawn for her, and the bills continued to get paid.
According to a Detroit Free Press report, the authorities say they believe that the woman died at least six years ago. The neighbors described the dead woman to be in her 40s and of German decent, but nobody really know much about who the woman was.
Undersheriff Mike McCabe of Oakland County, Michigan, said that the woman had $54,000 in her account, which was what was paying her bills. It was on auto-pay. But, at some point, the money ran out and the ranch-style home went into foreclosure.
McCabe said that the bank sent a contractor to check out the house after neighbors complained about a hole on the home's roof where the raccoons were getting in. It was when the contractor found the body in the garage, mummified in her Jeep. The woman was believed to have been dead since at least 2008, which was the year the license plate on the woman's Jeep expired.
The woman was reported to have been living in her house alone, coming in and out, and always traveling a lot, so the neighbors thought that her absences were due to her returning to Germany.
"She really kept to herself. We never really heard anything from her," a neighbor told CNN.
McCabe said that he'd been doing his job for 37years, but he had never before seen anything like what happened to the woman. The woman was found mummified, sitting in the backseat of her car with the key halfway in the ignition.
Dr. Bernardino Pacris, the county deputy medical examiner who conducted the autopsy, said that the woman's skin was still intact, but the internal organs had decomposed.
According to Pacris, during the mummification process, the skin will develop a parchment-like consistency and leathery texture. He said that finding a body in that condition is unusual, but "once in a while, we see this."
The toxicology report was still yet to arrive, which will take four to six weeks, before determining the cause of death. According to McCabe, Pacris found no signs of trauma to the woman's body.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Six English Words Which Originated From Arabic
- ISIS Educates Young Children in 'School of Jihad,' Deploys Them in Active Combat After Graduation [VIDEO]
- Robots May Be Used to Fight Ebola in West Africa; Australian PM Admits US, UK Asked For Medical Teams
- Decades-Long Mystery of Oklahoma Lake Solved, Missing Six Bodies Identified
- Gay Community In Liberia Persecuted For Ebola; Church Leaders Call Virus 'Punishment' For Homosexuality
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Shifts Blame On US For Ukraine Crisis, Putin Accuses West of 'Remaking World'