Breaking News: A Woman Found Dead in Garage; Body Mummified as Her Bills Continued to Get Paid
By Alyssa Ashley Lucas | March 8, 2014 12:39 PM EST
A woman from Pontiac, Michigan was found mummified in the back of her car where her body clothed in winter jacket sat for several years. The car was parked in the garage and nobody noticed any thing extraordinary. In fact, someone was even mowing the woman's lawn for her, and the bills continued to get paid.
According to a Detroit Free Press report, the authorities say they believe that the woman died at least six years ago. The neighbors described the dead woman to be in her 40s and of German decent, but nobody really know much about who the woman was.
Undersheriff Mike McCabe of Oakland County, Michigan, said that the woman had $54,000 in her account, which was what was paying her bills. It was on auto-pay. But, at some point, the money ran out and the ranch-style home went into foreclosure.
McCabe said that the bank sent a contractor to check out the house after neighbors complained about a hole on the home's roof where the raccoons were getting in. It was when the contractor found the body in the garage, mummified in her Jeep. The woman was believed to have been dead since at least 2008, which was the year the license plate on the woman's Jeep expired.
The woman was reported to have been living in her house alone, coming in and out, and always traveling a lot, so the neighbors thought that her absences were due to her returning to Germany.
"She really kept to herself. We never really heard anything from her," a neighbor told CNN.
McCabe said that he'd been doing his job for 37years, but he had never before seen anything like what happened to the woman. The woman was found mummified, sitting in the backseat of her car with the key halfway in the ignition.
Dr. Bernardino Pacris, the county deputy medical examiner who conducted the autopsy, said that the woman's skin was still intact, but the internal organs had decomposed.
According to Pacris, during the mummification process, the skin will develop a parchment-like consistency and leathery texture. He said that finding a body in that condition is unusual, but "once in a while, we see this."
The toxicology report was still yet to arrive, which will take four to six weeks, before determining the cause of death. According to McCabe, Pacris found no signs of trauma to the woman's body.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- MH370 Update: Australians Unveil New Map To Find The Missing Plane
- Court Grants Indian Man Divorce Over Wife’s Insatiable Sex Demands
- Ebola Virus 'Rapidly Mutating' as Research Finds Almost 400 Mutations; International Aid Moves at a Snail's Pace
- ISIS Threat: Australia Terror Alert Level at 'Medium' as Saudi King Warns of Attacks in Europe in a Month
- Shocking Ice Bucket Challenge Video: Man Drenches 10-Month-Old Granddaughter, Video Garnered Angry And Appalled Comments From Viewers
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans