iPhone 6 Release Date: 90 Million Units Expected to Hit Market; Smartphone Shipment May Rise in 2014
By Raymond Ronamai | March 8, 2014 2:05 AM EST
Even as conflicting reports are doing the rounds on the release date of iPhone 6, it has emerged that Apple Inc. is expected to ship out about 90 million units of its flagship smartphone after its launch later this year.
Screenshot from KDB Daewoo Sec
iPhone 6 vs Galaxy S5
Apple's smartphone shipment is expected to be boosted from 13 percent in 2013 to 23 percent in 2014 with the release of iPhone 6, the Chinese-language paper quoted Citigroup Global Markets analyst, Wei Chen as saying. He added that Foxconn would post an EPS of NT$9.29 (US$0.31) in 2014 and NT$10.26 in 2015.
The new flagship smartphone is expected to be launched in September this year despite speculations that the release of Samsung Galaxy S5 on 11 April might prompt the Cupertino giant to advance it to June or July.
iPhone 6 may boast of several promising features and not just an upgrade of its predecessor, iPhone 5S if one is to go by the media reports. The U.S. Patent and Trademark Office has granted the Cupertino giant the patent (number 8,666,034) for "Audio call screening for hosted voicemail systems," which will allow a user to screen messages being left at a hosted voicemail system from a telephone terminal.
United States Patent Application number 20140055483 under "Computer User Interface System and Methods" has also suggested that Apple might introduce this technology in iPhone 6, letting users control their devices from a certain distance without actually touching them with the help of sensors that recognise movements, gestures, distance, depth proximity and location.
Hinting yet another feature for iPhone 6, the US Patent & Trademark Office has published a patent application from Apple titled "Systems and Methods for Preventing Light Guide Plate Scratching Artifacts," according to Patently Apple. This would mean the new device may sport a screen layer protection that will be self-healing, hinting a possible elimination of unsightly artifacts.
It has been reported that the next generation smartphone from Apple might sport a bigger screen entirely made from the scratch-resistant sapphire crystal glass. It is is expected to sport a 4.7/4.8' or 5.5' display with a 1920x1080p (440ppi), or a 2272×1280 (510ppi), powered by A8 chip (64-bit) and run on iOS 7.2. It is also expected to have a 1,800mAh battery, according to South Korean brokerage KDB Daewoo Securities.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports